SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's Pick the Week 132 Movie: Battle Royale III

Let's pick the week 132 Movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At the time it came out I was still devouring everything on cable. Flipped it on one day and never forgot about the impact it had. Had no idea what I was getting into at the time and loved it.

I've literally never encountered anyone who didn't have that exact experience with it. Obviously, once it starts going, you don't really know what you're dealing with. Then, once it's been going along for a while, you can't really believe that that's what you're dealing with. And then, by the end, you can't even process what you just dealt with. There are other movies like that, other movies where you can have a similar experience, but speaking for myself, no experience has ever equaled that experience in sheer gobsmackedness (trademark @europe1-ism there ;)). It's a unique movie that more people should see. And it's the club's own damn fault for robbing themselves of that experience!

Would have voted for it but I wanted my film to win and not yours. :p

tumblr_mmylb6Su6Q1rmceijo1_500.gif

<note to self: don't vote at all next time> :D

I spent a good couple of minutes seriously contemplating just how much of a douche move it'd be to abstain for fear of adding votes to my competition's picks.

tenor.gif

I spent a good couple of minutes seriously contemplating just how much of a douche move it'd be to abstain for fear of adding votes to my competition's picks.

lol at none of us voting. Or just two people. But yeah, it crossed my mind but it's being a poor sport so I just did my usual and voted for three I hadn't seen. The current leader I watched within the last year so I'm hoping it gets overtaken.

One of them was Sick: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist. Anyone who knows what that is will understand the kind of person I was dealing with with aqua as well as my level of commitment to the challenge.
I saw this at a local film festival when it came out. It was the only time I’ve fainted watching a movie, so I know what you’ve been through. I have blips of Miracle Mile on my radar, but now I’ll watch it for sure no matter how the vote goes.

lol at none of us voting. Or just two people. But yeah, it crossed my mind but it's being a poor sport so I just did my usual and voted for three I hadn't seen. The current leader I watched within the last year so I'm hoping it gets overtaken.

Ya one thats tied is one of the only 2 ive seen of course.

Ya one thats tied is one of the only 2 ive seen of course.

That sucks. The half dozen I've seen are all kick ass. Looks like a couple votes each aren't counting so who knows if a third challenger emerges.

Is that for the movie I nominated, or for once again crushing @MusterX 's dream of watching Angel Heart (for the record I oppose @europe1 's cruelty in pointing out that I changed my pick)?
for the movie you picked. we both picked Panos Cosmatos films :cool:

Please Welcome our Newest Member!
Returning to the Club!

Bob!
HQIvIl.gif

*checks notes*... Oh shit, I meant @Zer!
But I'm sure he appreciates the Bob the Gambler reference:D
Zer. Rimbaud82. BeordotheWeirdo. We have more returnees than Israel!

EDIT: Crap I accidentally tagged someone actually called Bob! That'll be embarrassing...

I really want to start rambling and sparking dozens of discussions on all the picks and the pickers' reasons for picking their picks, but I'm holding off. In going back over the list, though, I have to say that @sickc0d3r...

"Was originally going to go with Angel Heart. This has nothing to do sickc's reasons for picking this film. I'm just revealing that so to gall MusterX with the knowlage that Angel Heart has been passed over once again:cool:."

...didn't pick Angel Heart because that sick bastard has no heart. europe was right to reveal the blackness of his soul. @MusterX, if you want to beat him with soap for this, let me know.

AdolescentClumsyGar-max-1mb.gif

Is that for the movie I nominated, or for once again crushing @MusterX 's dream of watching Angel Heart (for the record I oppose @europe1 's cruelty in pointing out that I changed my pick)?

Don't be fooled by his show of mercy, Muster. He's evil to the core.

Well I have to admit, there is one film on this list that I have zero interest watching again, but the rest I'm open to seeing again (or for the first time, if one of the four I haven't seen before win).
How peculiar. There is also one film I abjectly loathe on that list. I wonder if it is the same?
When voting closes, we'll bring it up and I'll inadvertently make the poster who picked it feel bad. Even though it won't reflect on them, it is what it is.

Hmm. Based on what I (think I) know of jei, I'd guess Mandy or Under the Skin as the likeliest films here. Combining that with what I (think I) know of europe doesn't narrow it down, though, because europe's taste runs the gamut so it's harder to pin down what he'd loathe.

I'm looking forward to the reveal.

Someone contacted me about a mis-vote (accidentally voted for themselves).

I can't change the actual poll though. So I'll post the info here.

-1 Mandy
+1 Wake in Fright

giphy.gif

200.gif

lol at none of us voting. Or just two people.

I saw this at a local film festival when it came out. It was the only time I’ve fainted watching a movie, so I know what you’ve been through.

I should also mention that I made a "No Fast-Forwarding" promise, too, so I got to watch that hammer scene in all its un-fast-forwarded glory.

tenor.gif

I have blips of Miracle Mile on my radar, but now I’ll watch it for sure no matter how the vote goes.

giphy.gif

Please Welcome our Newest Member!
Returning to the Club!

bob!
HQIvIl.gif

*checks notes*... Oh shit, I meant @Zer!
But I'm sure he appreciates the Bob the Gambler reference:D
Zer. Rimbaud82. BeordotheWeirdo. We have more returnees than Israel!

a2-PP8-R1-460sa-v1.gif

Yea I saw that in the OP. <45>

Its not that I think Angel Heart is the best movie ever or anything, but as a club we need to watch it at some point. Its been rejected 2 or 3 times already.

...didn't pick Angel Heart because that sick bastard has no heart. europe was right to reveal the blackness of his soul. @MusterX, if you want to beat him with soap for this, let me know.

Haha, yea, we've tried to get that film through several times and it never happens. I think right now its either the first or second most rejected film in the club's history. I think there is still a good chance that at some point it happens.

Angel Heart's a great film. Would be a good discussion. Would vote for it but don't quote me on that

There are plenty of non-members voting this Week.

Of the two leading films. One has 6 and the other 5. So the vote isn't over yet.

Another thing. We usually do a "Cycle Wrap-Up" thread around this time. Where everyone gets an opportunity to rank the films we've seen during this cycle. However, that thread tends to get buried rather quickly. So I thought we could do it during next weeks Nominations, ie: my week (instead of the usual Top 10 theme). That way I think it will be a bit prescient and with-it in the discussion.

Lots of interesting selections. Kinda tempted to vote for one or two I've already seen. Fuckin' decisions. :(

I ended up voting for one film I've seen, hoping it wins.

These weeks, man. They're rough. They force you to abandon your principles.

I am back! My laptop is back !

Great to hear you're back!

1ocrfs.jpg

And yet, for all of my genuine enthusiasm for the three films that I voted for, I hope that all three of them lose and that my pick wins :D

You're sabotaging yourself here!:p

I thought Battle Royale had won. Was gonna put on my hipster asshole hat and start recommending a bunch of Kinji Fukasaku Yakuza flicks

So what where you going to throw in the ring? Stuff like Virus and Bloodshed Without Honor or Humanity?

(for the record I oppose @europe1 's cruelty in pointing out that I changed my pick)?

Sure, Skeletor, sure.:cool:

tenor.gif

Its not that I think Angel Heart is the best movie ever or anything, but as a club we need to watch it at some point. Its been rejected 2 or 3 times already.

3 was it?

Someday, that nefarious incarnation of evil called sickc0d3r will nominate both Angel Heart and Cool Hand Luke on his week of Nominations, and through devilish manipulation, make sure that both lose.

So what where you going to throw in the ring? Stuff like Virus and Bloodshed Without Honor or Humanity?

Fukasaku has so many classic Yakuza films it's silly. It's kind of a shame he'll always be known for directing Battle Royale

Final Episode
Yakuza Graveyard
Sympathy for the Underdog
Cops vs Thugs
Proxy War
Graveyard of Honor
Battles Without Honor and Humanity
Street Mobster
Police Tactics

It's cool that he made a film with Kitano though since Kitano likes a Yakuza film as well

for the movie you picked. we both picked Panos Cosmatos films :cool:

677a5a2eb379a120c7e1db468677fb4c2b8b1222739c0d749c7aa7d5fcf5a0df.jpg

AdolescentClumsyGar-max-1mb.gif

Don't be fooled by his show of mercy, Muster. He's evil to the core.
I decided to save it for a round when I can sandbag with a bunch of rom-coms and make sure it wins. That said, I am still quite eeeville.

giphy.gif

I've nominated it before and I definitely agree. I think we can all also agree @europe1 can only be happy when others feel pain.

My first SMC Battle Royale and I am ready to fucking rumble!

giphy.gif

I voted for one that I've seen and am curious to hear other people's thoughts on (plus it's a fun movie with a heavy dose of nostalgia for me), one that I've seen and know would make for excellent discussion, and one that I've never seen because it sounds awesome.

And yet, for all of my genuine enthusiasm for the three films that I voted for, I hope that all three of them lose and that my pick wins :D

I went into it planning on voting for yours coz ur description was that persuasive. But then the preview killed it. For what it’s worth I’ve created a list of films to watch and it’s on it. There were just other previews that grabbed me more. This was a tough week of amazing nominations. Several movies made that list.

I went into it planning on voting for yours coz ur description was that persuasive. But then the preview killed it. For what it’s worth I’ve created a list of films to watch and it’s on it. There were just other previews that grabbed me more. This was a tough week of amazing nominations. Several movies made that list.

tenor.gif

This post took me on an emotional roller coaster. At the end of the day, whether it's for the club or on your own, another person watching Miracle Mile means that I've done my duty...but I still really want it to win, damn it!

Back