Does anyone here feel like the original UFC was much more real?

Anyone remember the first time it actually looked like someone did die in the ring? I think it was when Tank beat Nelmark. I imagine ringside the view was devastating because Nelmark’s body dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Oh and this.
Here>

dan~2.gif

Does anyone here feel like the original UFC was much more real than the current watered down, pacified UFC with all the fake WWE, social media drama?

Sergio Batarelli, IVC promotor, said that the current UFC´s fight configuration is a "joke", "much too watered down compared to the real Vale Tudo tradition."

BTW... if I dont drop this one, people are gonna feel disappointed...:

b game all time.gif

It was as real as it gets
UFC 35.5

Time to end this suffering
I need a minute to my-self
So I can drift away

The Liddell-Ortiz-Couture is the start of the era but, I believe the Gsp-Anderson-Penn era is the golden era of the UFC...

After that is the depressing era.......wwe drama, usada bullshit, titleshot based on popularity, stupid rankings, bias and champions that don't want to defend their belt legitimately.

I'm not talking about the skills of the fighters. Obviously, the sport progressed and evolved in terms of techniques. However, the fights themselves nowadays lack that "x factor" (for a lack of a better word), that give them the vibe of watching real fights by real martial artists / fighters.

It's like watching the original Terminator 1 and 2 film that were truly masterpieces (despite their lack of cgi) compared to the rubbish that is the Terminator sequels, with all the cgi and forced acting.
I think you are just remembering the good parts...
After a couple of events a lot of matches went stale with fighters basically plodding around the cage not engaging from getting exhausted in under 5 minutes and not finding a finish. I think that had as much to do with the rules and rounds and judges evolving as did John McCain, RIP.

In many instances absolutely "REAL" it was "Martial Artist vs Martial Artist".

People who actually had studied the Martial Arts with over ten years in high rank ...... Dan's, Degree, Sash's so on.

What you get now is pathetic just poor performances really with a only a few exceptions to be fair.

But everything related to Martial Arts was just better from the 50's to 90's now 2018 what martial art skills really honestly what............. can't even Box using proper guard hand positions and as for kicking how many do the basics like retracting the leg in high kicks.........sloppy beginner stuff just watch 1 hour of Youtube and you see all this stuff, its pathetically sad when some say they are MMArtists. :eek:

The best era was 70's! ;)

Last edited:
The early events barely had any rules. These days many fighters are like athletes and know how to play the rules which makes the fights feel less real.

I think thats just the "good ol days" thing. Nostalgia.

UFC is hands down better now.

Young UFC More real? No. More green? Yes

It's just soo different back then mma was bbj vs karate vs wrestling ect without rules. Defending your styles superiority.

Now mma is everyone has everything and has it's own sport rules.

If you consider a street fight real and organised sport a facsimile, the early UFC was closer to the real thing.

No not really i just think the UFC has way too many fighters under contract (monopoly) causing all these watered down cards.
There’s no one in bellator or one or rizin.....true monopoly....

The Liddell-Ortiz-Couture is the start of the era but, I believe the Gsp-Anderson-Penn era is the golden era of the UFC...

After that is the depressing era.......wwe drama, usada bullshit, titleshot based on popularity, stupid rankings, bias and champions that don't want to defend their belt legitimately.
Bj penn got a title shot in his first ww fight. He chose to not defend. Randy got title shots in higher divisions coming off losses. Tito ducked the top contender for a long time. Dang. It ain’t like it used to be....

I think thats just the "good ol days" thing. Nostalgia.

UFC is hands down better now.

Young UFC More real? No. More green? Yes

Yup. Rose colored glasses are a hell of a drug.

I'll take the era with fighters like TJ, Holloway, Whittaker, Khabib, Ferguson etc etc etc, over the likes Tank, Kimo etc.

There's no comparison. It's basically two completely different things.

Maybe a less professional scene is more your thing. Back in the days, it was marketed as dangerous. The fighters didn't really know exactly what to expect, which led to a lot excitement.

Today it's a totally different sport, the sport of mixed martial arts. We now have athletes that have trained in all disciplines since their youth. The fights are more technical and skillful, less frantic and chaotic.

Absolutely

No weight classes
Elimination style
Broken hands, no gloves
True style v style match ups

I actually wish they had a league where it pitted true style v style match ups, those were always interesting.

In many instances absolutely "REAL" it was "Martial Artist vs Martial Artist".

People who actually had studied the Martial Arts with over ten years in high rank ...... Dan's, Degree, Sash's so on.

What you get now is pathetic just poor performances really with a only a few exceptions to be fair.

But everything related to Martial Arts was just better from the 50's to 90's now 2018 what martial art skills really honestly what............. can't even Box using proper guard hand positions and as for kicking how many do the basics like retracting the leg in high kicks.........sloppy beginner stuff just watch 1 hour of Youtube and you see all this stuff, its pathetically sad when some say they are MMArtists. :eek:

The best era was 70's! ;)

Lol. Yeah, the best was when we had point fighting karate or kickboxing with no low kicks. You’re nostalgia for “real” martial arts pre-mma should have been destroyed when the traditional arts were destroyed in real fighting.....

Back