The Great Flyweight Purge (Updated May 2019)

So having 36 guys in the division makes it shallow? holy shit how many lightweights and featherweights on the roster?
Granted I never heard of probably 80% of the roster , but DJ must have been lightyears beyond them if he only had 3 -4 serious contenders.

I think you'd be surprised.
Seriously.

Joanna's run as champ was exciting as is Rose in the current spot. Holly Holm is awesome and has a top 5 all time UFC finish. Miesha winning the belt gave me feels on the same level as Bisping capturing it. The Nunes Cyborg fight is intriguing as hell, I can't see how anyone is turned off by that because they are women. If you like fighting and you dont like Courtney Casey, you dont like fighting. That woman is a gamer and I love her fights.

Acting like there is no excitement or talent in WMMA is just incorrect. Sure, there isnt the depth, but it's not a puddle either. Let it grow.

You gotta remember, these are the same people that say GSP and Silva didnt really fight anyone good as champion. I guess the whole division and sport just sucks then.

I have not heard of Dillashaw-Cejudo being confirmed yet.
Combate first reported it and then they cited the Combate report on UFC Tonight. Instead of, you know, the UFC actually confirming it, on their own TV show they just cited a news story as something that was probably happening but whatever.

I'm guessing he means great as in large and immense.

I read it that way as well, especially with his closing warning against thrashing the doomed division in this thread.

"People losing their jobs."

They are entertainers whose work people are not entertained by. The idea of jobs created not for a purpose, market, or product, but for the job itself, was lots of fun in the Soviet Union.

Good thread TS

Shorty Torres was released? Weird

People with families losing their jobs is ‘Great’ to you? De-mod this loser @jei

A lot of these guys would do fine at 135 yet we still have WMMA fighters who are 3-4 fighting in the prelim headliners.

Fuck outta here.

Not sure if trolling, ESL, or reading comprehension fail, but in this instance great means "Large in size"

Like a great whale, the name doesn't mean the whales are nice, it means they are massive

Seriously there are some flyweights that are actually really exciting to watch like Deivison Figueiredo, Ben Nguyen, Mark De La Rosa to name a few so honestly if we are not gonna see these guys any more it would be really really sad imo. But then again there are some flyweights that are not that exciting also... And honestly there is something about the HW's when you know that in any moment there could be a KO, which is usually not the case at flyweight.... But some of these flyweights fight furiously like Deivison for example. I am really gonna miss these guys if they get cut!

It sucks a lot of these guys are getting booted instead of fighting at 135 =/

Nope Scoggins deserves to be shit on by the UFC.

Booked to fight Ian McCall, guy comes in overweight by 6-7 pounds.

McCall doesn't take the fight (his last fight against Lineker, he lost after John came in overweight too)

Then Scoggins proceeds to call out McCall on twitter calling him a coward. Never once taking responsibility for the botched weight cut.

Scoggins got robbed in his last fight and would be fine back at 135,no reason he should've been cut.The doctors pulled him during his weight cut against McCall.

Ian took to Twitter or whatever (like he always does) crying about how unlucky he always is cause everyone pulls out on him (3X) and called Scoggins a bitch and said he needs to learn how to do his f'ing job.All of this is ironic considering McCall is the king of pulling out,pulling out 7 times in the UFC while having 6 fights in as many years.

It was so funny watching Ian post about how unlucky he is,getting everyone to feel bad for him while it's him that can't make it to his fights with 3 of his last 4 pullouts were due to not feeling good lol.It was so funny around here with everyone feeling bad for him.Guy's a joke and it's weird seeing people still stand up for him.Generally I like your posts but I don't agree with you here.

.....and because two of the biggest rated tv cards in years were headlined by women... (shev v holm, and waterson v pvz). Women have consistently pulled decent ratings on network tv

upload_2018-11-7_18-48-28-png.467339

upload_2018-11-7_18-50-8-png.467341

when the guys can do numbers close to theirs then they will scrap wmma.

First fight announced for an ESPN card? PVZ v Ostovich, its not a co-incidence

every single card has many fight of the the nights by men...but how many of the chick fights are any good? you posted 2 fights. yet, there are 3 divisions of women...99% of those fights sucks ass. and nobody watches them...I never said that some women fights bring a good aud
.....and because two of the biggest rated tv cards in years were headlined by women... (shev v holm, and waterson v pvz). Women have consistently pulled decent ratings on network tv

upload_2018-11-7_18-48-28-png.467339

upload_2018-11-7_18-50-8-png.467341

when the guys can do numbers close to theirs then they will scrap wmma.

First fight announced for an ESPN card? PVZ v Ostovich, its not a co-incidence

you mentioned 2 fights...while 99.9% of womens fights are boring as all hell...and those fights you mentioned are rare..very very rare. but there are exceptions with everything...but is it worth keeping 3 divisions of chick fighting for very rare occurances?

every single card has many fight of the the nights by men...but how many of the chick fights are any good? you posted 2 fights. yet, there are 3 divisions of women...99% of those fights sucks ass. and nobody watches them...I never said that some women fights bring a good audience

So nobody watches them, or some of them bring a good audience

which is it?

you are contradicting yourself (which isnt really surprising as you are talking bollocks)

when women headline network tv cards, they break records. fact.

It sucks a lot of these guys are getting booted instead of fighting at 135 =/

They already have close to 65 Bantamweights atm. They will have to cut some serious fat to make room..

They already have close to 65 Bantamweights atm. They will have to cut some serious fat to make room..

Yeah but getting rid of some real good top ten fighters is stupid.Meanwhile they are signing 2 or 3 fighters every DWTNF show and tons of people that couldn't even win a fight on TUF.They should trim some fat and make room.It's obviously not that simple,I just don't get why they can't move the top guys to 135 and trim the fat there over the next year or so. Of course we don't know everyone that's cut or kept but you know the UFC decision making...there already has been and will be some dumb cuts while keeping a lot of guys that couldn't even be top 20.

Where do you think most of these guys will go?

The only organization in North America that hands out a belt at 125 is LFA as far as I know. Maybe Combate Americas should start a flyweight since most of the flyweights in the USA are hispanics anyway.

Other than that it might make sense for a few to compete in One FC, Road FC in Asia or Cage Warriors or BAMMA in Britain who both has World Champions at Flyweight.

So nobody watches them, or some of them bring a good audience

which is it?

you are contradicting yourself (which isnt really surprising as you are talking bollocks)

when women headline network tv cards, they break records. fact.
You're wasting your time with that guy. People like him aren't to be taken seriously.

As for the thread, I'll miss the flyweights. Reasonable people can certainly disagree on such things, but I've generally been entertained by the top guys in the division. It's ironic that the face and kingpin of the division (MM) is single-handedly responsible for setting the wheels in motion for the ultimate demise of the division.

Back