Japanese entertainment: What the hell happened?

I don't know man. I still find the Japanese pretty damn entertaining.

Hentai still going strong.

You don't know me. I've been playing Final Fantasy since IV on SNES.

The most recent one I played was XV. I didn't like the characters. So I quit.

XIII was pretty mediocre as well. So linear.

XII I enjoyed a lot despite it being a half complete game (the director left the project).

Loved Final Fantasy VII which was the first I ever played and I loved that .

I played XIII that I picked up cheap. Thank xxxx it was because if I'd played full price I would have been mad. Like you said it was too linear...walk along a path , battle something , carry on walking down a path, battle more of the same thing, keep walking..pile of poo.

Maybe you outgrew them? Taste changes as we grow older, things that used to amuse us, all of the sudden don't seem so appealing. I used to love playing video games, in the past years I can't play more than 30 minutes at a time, it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Nothing wrong with outgrowing things, try something new, have you ever look into the tentacle hentai interactive video games? ;)

Maybe you outgrew them? Taste changes as we grow older, things that used to amuse us, all of the sudden don't seem so appealing. I used to love playing video games, in the past years I can't play more than 30 minutes at a time, it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Nothing wrong with outgrowing things, try something new, have you ever look into the tentacle hentai interactive video games? ;)

Some things I outgrew. Like the Nintendo games.

I still love a good adventure story, whether it's in a movie, tv show, or game.

Growing up, Final Fantasy, Marvel, and Star Wars were a big part of my childhood. It's partly why I like Game of Thrones so much. GoT feels like a darker, more political version of the stories I grew up loving.

In terms of gaming it was the shift away from testing of skill/inteliegnce towards games as terrible(but charmless) B-movies that largely killed my interest.

Anime wise I think you can partly put it down to growing out of power fantasys but still I think the late 80's to early 00's is still clearly a better era that that which we've seen recently. Ghibli at its best, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Kon's films, etc.

Maybe you’re older and realize that you don’t like stuff for little kids anymore? Just a thought.

Maybe you’re older and realize that you don’t like stuff for little kids anymore? Just a thought.

That could be part of it. But there does seem to be a consensus that the golden age of anime was the 90s and early 2000s.

One thing I grew out of in the US is pro wrestling. But I see countless people saying the WWF Attitude era was so much better than what they have now (I don't watch anymore).

I agree growing older changes tastes. Also animals special and new and cutting edge.now Most of it is clichéd and tired.
Try Erased on Netflix, the live action . It's awesome

I don't know man. I still find the Japanese pretty damn entertaining.

I love how the commentary resembles something you would expect from a PRIDE commentator during an early 2000s Wanderlei Silva match.

I love how the commentary resembles something you would expect from a PRIDE commentator during an early 2000s Wanderlei Silva match.
I was half expecting a giant plastic check for the winner.

And a bouquet.

You could just type Japanese game show on youtube and lose 2 weeks of your life.
That in combination with Japanese bug fighting and old Japanese MMA/K1 will turn those 2 weeks in 2 months.

As for the OP, give modern Japanese RPG's like Valkyria Chronicles 4, Persona 5 and Bloodborne a try.

The 90s Japan is dead. It used to be a cultural mega and now it is just a regional player.

I'll still always hold Japan media fondly in my heart for the 90s though.

Have you even seen One Punch Man? That shit is a masterpiece.

Btw, having kids has given me a new appreciation for anime. We watch a bunch of shit together.

d0128470_4f73dccecffaf.jpg

Anime happened

You haven't played the games. But they are "emo crap"

Excuse me if I don't think your opinion is worth a single gil.
You do know there's something liek reviews, streams and let's plays now, right?

The last argument of the young: "It's all nostalgia!"

To debunk you easily: Google "entropy". tl;dr: "Older is better" is reality. Sorry.

We grew up and they didn’t.

I went through a phase of Japanese gaming and movies as a teenager.

As much as I enjoyed them, the phase was brief. It was brief because it didn’t really stray from the formula that made it successful in the first place.

Also, I’ve fell out of favour with horror in general.

I’m still hoping to go in a year or two, however.

Back