Official Women's Division Discussion #25

With men's flyweights* being scrapped i'm very surprised to see you guys actually believing there will be a atomweight division, specially considering the shitshow flyweight has been due to Nicco & Eubanks lack of professionalism.

I guess you all are joking though. If there's a new division coming, it's definitely men's 165. Has to be.

PS: Fight Picks!

GDR by TKO
Yoder by DEC
Barber by smash TKO

Last edited:
With atomweight being scrapped i'm very surprised to see you guys actually believing there will be a atomweight division, specially considering the shitshow flyweight has been due to Nicco & Eubanks lack of professionalism.

I agree. The 125ers are not doing 105ers any favors. I understand that some of the fault clearly falls on the UFC but man so many bad stuff has come from the 125 division already due to missing weight and boring fights. The 1 good thing that was going to grow popularity in a new division 90% of the 125ers hated it. They have to learn something from the failed male 125 division.

You might not like Joanna vs Valentina because you want to be the one getting the title shot but you have to also think of the overall health of the division. Joanna vs Valentina is the only fight in that division that has any heat right now. Just like TJ vs DJ was the only fight for Male 125ers. Joanna vs Valentina would not have even been in the equation if the current 125ers could actually make weight for their division or put on exciting enough fights where there would be interest in you fighting for a title. I still have hope for 125 because its still young but it has not even been close to living up to its potential. Hopefully things start to take off once Joanna vs Valentina happens and they make Eubanks go to 135. She has been nothing but a negative for this division already.

I agree. The 125ers are not doing 105ers any favors. I understand that some of the fault clearly falls on the UFC but man so many bad stuff has come from the 125 division already due to missing weight and boring fights. The 1 good thing that was going to grow popularity in a new division 90% of the 125ers hated it. They have to learn something from the failed male 125 division.

You might not like Joanna vs Valentina because you want to be the one getting the title shot but you have to also think of the overall health of the division. Joanna vs Valentina is the only fight in that division that has any heat right now. Just like TJ vs DJ was the only fight for Male 125ers. Joanna vs Valentina would not have even been in the equation if the current 125ers could actually make weight for their division or put on exciting enough fights where there would be interest in you fighting for a title. I still have hope for 125 because its still young but it has not even been close to living up to its potential. Hopefully things start to take off once Joanna vs Valentina happens and they make Eubanks go to 135. She has been nothing but a negative for this division already.

Agree completely.

The one thing that the atomweights have that the 125 men don't is they are women. They will gather ratings not matter what. You can thank Ronda for that.

considering the shitshow flyweight has been due to Nicco & Eubanks lack of professionalism.
Nicco and Eubanks were just relative unknowns to emerge from a TUF season that had a less than stellar cast to start with. The future stars of flyweight haven't even begun to shine yet. Joanna, the Shevchenko sisters, "KGB", "Bad MoFo Jo Jo", Lipski, to name a few. Maybe even Eye, Carmouche, and VanZant will shine better at flyweight, who knows? The UFC introduced the division poorly, but it will be rocking the house soon.

Nicco and Eubanks were just relative unknowns to emerge from a TUF season that had a less than stellar cast to start with. The future stars of flyweight haven't even begun to shine yet. Joanna, the Shevchenko sisters, "KGB", "Bad MoFo Jo Jo", Lipski, to name a few. Maybe even Eye, Carmouche, and VanZant will shine better at flyweight, who knows? The UFC introduced the division poorly, but it will be rocking the house soon.
I agree. But considering how the division has been showcased so far, i think 105 is very unlikely. Almost no chance. Certainly not before men's 165.
In my opinion, it's for the best, because atomweight lacks depth right now, specially as far as western talent goes.

Amanda Nunes is handing out generous servings of brain trauma. Cat Zingano's pituitary & hormone issues after her fight with Nunes are well documented, and now it looks like Pennington is also having issues after she was beaten senseless in her last fight. Her corner definitely failed her, she was done after the 4th round and that's where the fight should've stopped.

Summary. Raquel has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism which is giving her weight issues. Started camp at 170lbs and having problems getting her weight down. Got her meds adjusted which helped, but they're still figuring things out.

I recognize Mina Kurobe and KING Reina, but none of the other names:

Mika Nagano (Champion) Mina Kurobe (Challenger) Tomo Maesawa Judith Ruis
Tonya Hoffman (sp?) King Reina

(I`m guessing "Yuma") Takamori Yukari Nabe Sarami (Satomi Takano) Yuko Saito

Tomomi Noda ('Maybe "Nijika" or ”Koka") Kawamura "Ringo Aka" (Red Apple) "Dump" Ryoko "Yuko S." Sayuri Yamaguchi

Jarl

Last edited:
Eubanks out-wrestled Lauren Murphy easily, why is she ranked under her?

it's pretty easy to explain: I haven't seen that fight (or most of that TUF) :p
Well, Murphy is too high and Eubanks too low. I probably wasn't 'feeling' Eubanks at that moment because we were just coming off the Roxy fight and though she won with takedowns, I don't think she looked very impressive in the fight.

Lauren Murphy has a strong showing against Carmouche because Carmouche has bad fighting IQ & coaching. Carmouche would have a easy win if she drops level for takedowns instead of fighting in the clinch.

Could be but I'd also say that's because Carmouche not actually being remarkably good at TD's either. Someone who had a background in it would do it regardless of IQ or coaching.
So yeah, 7 is way to high for Carmouche... I guess I just wanted to give her the distinction of being the #1 in the div... and that elevated Murphy based on that fight... I haven't seen Murphy vs Montano either, presumably Nicco outgrappled her which also knocks Murphy's rating and bumps up Nicco's.

Eubanks vs Murphy or Carmouche would be interesting fights for establishing who really is the best grappler (and where those grappling skills lie - td, subs, control, etc) in the div right now. I'd definintely like to see one of those matchups.

Chookagian has decent TDD. otherwise she wouldn't be able to fight a close fight which I think she won against Carmouche.

She does a bit though it's mostly because she keeps distance and is elusive.
And also not having to fight anyone who is actually good at takedowns helps. How would her TDD look if she had to fight a 125 version of Suarez, Gadelha, Esparza? I'm guessing not so well.

It's hard to give someone a high grade negating a skill, than using offensively, even though it it's obviously part of the same skill area and implies knowing something about offense too. Like a boxer who can avoid all punches but not land any of their own, you can't win with only defence. How would Chook do if she had to rely on getting TD's to win a fight? I'm guessing not so well.
Which also brings me to...

What about Joanna - I seem to remember an uchi mata in the second Gadelha fight, also Ostovich has done some interesting takedowns ..... I'm just bluffing here by the way, grappling is a mystery to me.

I don't remember much about Joanna's TD but it isn't surprising she picked up some skillz here and there, she's one of the best at defending takedowns and getting up ever to do it in the UFC, and seems to spend a lot of time practicing it.
But we haven't seen her look to take opponents down, for obvious reasons.
I wonder if either her of Val will have some kind of takedown plan for their fight? Probably not but it'd be an interesting twist.
I'd expect Val to be the more happy of the two to climb on top (fnarr).

Ostovich... she does have some nice techniques as well (like the cutback on Beck, a move illegal in BJJ, Judo and American wrestling BTW) but I dunno, she just doesn't seem like a great... fighter, more interested in getting lip and titty fillers and doing her makeup or something.
Her fight with PVZ could have some interesting grappling though (interesting to watch for several reasons), I think Osto could give Paige a bit more trouble than others have suggested so far...

Trying not to be stupid but could weight cutting be contributing to fighters
having thyroid issues because I remember Bec Rawlings having said issues
and she didn't get her brain scrambled in any previous fights prior to Houston
last year.

Trying not to be stupid but could weight cutting be contributing to fighters
having thyroid issues because I remember Bec Rawlings having said issues
and she didn't get her brain scrambled in any previous fights prior to Houston
last year.
I had considered bringing that up myself. Bec told me (on social media) that her doctor linked her hip fracture injury to hypothyroidism and "female athlete triad" and tied it all in with nutritional problems relating to the extreme weight cutting she required in order to fight as a strawweight. She told me this after I had mentioned "female athlete triad" in a comment.

Last edited:
The shocker that came out of UFC weigh ins in Denver was Raquel Pennington
missing weight by 2 pounds since I can only attribute it to her being diagnosed
with Hypothyroidism and the subsequent bigger weight cut.

The shocker that came out of UFC weigh ins in Denver was Raquel Pennington
missing weight by 2 pounds since I can only attribute it to her being diagnosed
with Hypothyroidism and the subsequent bigger weight cut.

Depending on how bad it is, it can be easily treatable. Any word on the severity?

Wow, the overall size difference is crazy. Like Angela Lee vs Mei Yamaguchi or Jenny Huang levels.

Wow, the overall size difference is crazy. Like Angela Lee vs Mei Yamaguchi or Jenny Huang levels.
I thought Cifers looked scared. I hope for her sake it was just stage fright and not fear of the upcoming fight.

Tips for avoiding thyroid disorder in WMMA:
~ Don't cut too much weight
~ Don't do roidz

and the number one way to avoid thyroid problems,
~ Don't fight Amanda Nunes.

I thought Cifers looked scared. I hope for her sake it was just stage fright and not fear of the upcoming fight.

I've watched quite a few youtubes of Cifers since the fight was scheduled and this is her normal look, she's just a very shy farm girl who is happier butchering a hog or using a chain saw than interacting with people. I'm sure she's far more afraid of talking to the press and being photographed than standing toe to toe with Maycee in the cage.

Be as that may, once she tastes that Authentic Farm Girl™ power, Valley Girl Maycee will be left taking a short dirt nap.

<{hughesimpress}>

She might be glad to be fighting in front of her home crowd right now, but when she wakes up on Monday Barber will be glad to have been in front of any crowd lest she be tied up by the feet for that ol' fashioned 'skin mask' treatment.

---------

MMA junkie uploaded their interview videos for the weekend and took the unusual step of disabling comments on their short interview with Cifers.

Evedently puzzling the overblown MMA media vulgarians on how to spin the plain-talking dutiful country girl, MMA Junkie settled on billing her as the 'anti-Conor McGregor'. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back