Japanese entertainment: What the hell happened?

You don't know me. I've been playing Final Fantasy since IV on SNES.

The most recent one I played was XV. I didn't like the characters. So I quit.

XIII was pretty mediocre as well. So linear.

XII I enjoyed a lot despite it being a half complete game (the director left the project).

If you finished XV then you wouldn't think this. It's one of the best written games.

Emo =/= emotional

I haven't seen a good anime since the 2009 Full Metal Alchemist. Though a few years ago I watched the 2004 anime Monster and it was amazing. Now the popular anime is Attack on Titan and I hate it.

Watch Your Name from a year or two ago. Really good.

Maybe you’re older and realize that you don’t like stuff for little kids anymore? Just a thought.

Today's kids have different tastes compared to yesterday's kids. I had a bunch of children try out Lufia II on the SNES. They swore that the remake is better. Such crappy tastes...

Have you even seen One Punch Man? That shit is a masterpiece.

Btw, having kids has given me a new appreciation for anime. We watch a bunch of shit together.

One Punch Man was borne out of a web comic. Such media is good due to the fact that it establishes a fan base without much financial input, unlike the newer AU Gundam series nowadays (Universal Century, Best Century!).

This process weeds out the so-so, but not all are sparkly: Gate, thus the JSDF fought there was an anime boo-boo.

anime has always sucked

I think its the same as any other media in that the vast majority of it will be mediocre and a lot of anime fans were/are really just people interested in general culture more than qualiy but still I think there clearly have been some great films made from the late 80's to mid 00's period, not nearly as much since though.

I think its the same as any other media in that the vast majority of it will be mediocre and a lot of anime fans were/are really just people interested in general culture more than qualiy but still I think there clearly have been some great films made from the late 80's to mid 00's period, not nearly as much since though.
It's just me. I never connected to the style growing up.

Boobs.

They essentially took the easy way out, aka the Hollywood-style: when in doubt, add more explosions.

In Japan's case, when in doubt, add more bounce. Add to that the glorification of herbivore manlets in harem situations. Only if you watch anime/ play games for the PLOT will you avoid getting jaded over this. Otherwise you have to rely on webnovels to satisfy your standards.

Fun fact: the recent popular anime series nowadays have their roots in free internet webcomics/ webnovels.
I think there is something to this unfortunately. When I got into anime, fanservice was a rare easter-egg type thing that content producers would drop into the property like spice on a meal.

Now it seems like fan service (to wit, boobs) is essentially the major selling point, to the degree that it's a rare popular anime that has absolutely no ecchi elements at all. I tried to get a guy I work with to watch Kakegurui and he couldn't make it past the overly sexualized bits in the Netflix trailer. Which is a shame because the gambling elements of the show IMO could have stood on their own.

While in the west it seems like the business model typically tends to chasing mass market appeal, in Japan it seems as though a lot of content producers have decided to chase the dollars of increasingly fractious and idiosyncratic special tastes. Every customer isn't a pervert or weirdo, but increasingly those types seem to be the ones spending all the money...

"Serious" anime was never as popular as people imagined. Anime is pretty much a vehicle for merchandise and it's just more blatant these days

Japanese game shows are the craziest.

They have guys trying to do kareoke while getting handjobs and shows where fathers creampie their daughters.

ON TV

Why there? Joey's Pizza?
Joey's is long gone. Maybe even before I moved here but I still hear about the legend of Joey's pizza LOL.

For me it was cost of housing. I bought a house here with almost an acre of land for 120k. I couldn't have rented a janitors closet over a year in Toronto for 120k.

I take it you spent some time in Port Colborne. Hopefully it was here and not in Welland LOL.

That could be part of it. But there does seem to be a consensus that the golden age of anime was the 90s and early 2000s.

One thing I grew out of in the US is pro wrestling. But I see countless people saying the WWF Attitude era was so much better than what they have now (I don't watch anymore).
80s anime was good too.

Joey's is long gone. Maybe even before I moved here but I still hear about the legend of Joey's pizza LOL.

For me it was cost of housing. I bought a house here with almost an acre of land for 120k. I couldn't have rented a janitors closet over a year in Toronto for 120k.

I take it you spent some time in Port Colborne. Hopefully it was here and not in Welland LOL.

Had a branch of the family that all lived in Pt. Colborne. All dead or moved away I think. It was summer drives, backyard BBQ's, and Joey's Pizza. Also something about a steel or iron plant.

Cost of living in Toronto is nuts.

Had a branch of the family that all lived in Pt. Colborne. All dead or moved away I think. It was summer drives, backyard BBQ's, and Joey's Pizza. Also something about a steel or iron plant.

Cost of living in Toronto is nuts.
You're thinking of Inco. They refined nickel in Port Colborne from 1918 - 1984.

Quoted from an article:

Inco emitted nickel oxide into the air from its 500-foot smoke stack, mostly before 1960. Inco acknowledged it was the source of the nickel particulates found in the residents’ soil. In March 2001, approximately 7,040 residents brought a class action to recover damages from Inco for what they perceived was a decline in their real estate values attributed to Inco’s earlier nickel refining operations.

On July 6, 2010, a trial judge determined that Inco must pay $36 million to the landowners.

Just saying but I bought in the country side out of town LOL.

You're thinking of Inco. They refined nickel in Port Colborne from 1918 - 1984.

Quoted from an article:

Inco emitted nickel oxide into the air from its 500-foot smoke stack, mostly before 1960. Inco acknowledged it was the source of the nickel particulates found in the residents’ soil. In March 2001, approximately 7,040 residents brought a class action to recover damages from Inco for what they perceived was a decline in their real estate values attributed to Inco’s earlier nickel refining operations.

On July 6, 2010, a trial judge determined that Inco must pay $36 million to the landowners.

Just saying but I bought in the country side out of town LOL.

Everybody gets $5,300 CDN, and cancer. <mma4>

If you finished XV then you wouldn't think this. It's one of the best written games.

Emo =/= emotional
Umm no. 1/2 the story was completely cut and now they cancelled the DLC it's never getting released. FFXV is plain bad. Magic is pointless, story is crap, sidequests are shit. It's just a bad game that was never finished

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back