Jon Jones has a harder time at heavyweight

ice9

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I think JJ struggles against bigger guys with power in their hands who have decent take down defense. He doesnt have the power to finish these guys like dc does.
Guys who could potentially beat jones at heavyweight -

Stipe - I think jones would really struggle against him. Stipe is basically a stronger version of gus with better wrestling
Dos Santos - I know hes fallen off quiet a bit but his in and out boxing style and power would give jones trouble.
Overeem - One of the greatest strikers ever who could muscle jon around in the clinch
Alexander Volkov - An even bigger version of gus.

I think JJ destroys caine however. JJ would probably put caine on his back over and over again as he does with smaller guys and ground and pounds him out.

Prime cain would've destroyed Jones, even if jones took as much juice as he wanted.

Dos santos would've knocked him out too, theres no way he could've put on a pace like cain did vs JDS.

Stipe I'm not sure about. Clean jones loses most likely but juiced jones might've beat him.

rs_640x360-170522183117-the_bachelorette-6_02_30_pm_-_6_02_33_pm-2017-05-22.gif

Maybe he's just simply suited for LHW...?

Prime cain would've destroyed Jones, even if jones took as much juice as he wanted.

Dos santos would've knocked him out too, theres no way he could've put on a pace like cain did vs JDS.

Stipe I'm not sure about. Clean jones loses most likely but juiced jones might've beat him.
LOL Prime Cain,

Jones is the GOAT and the only HW who stands a chance is the extinct Prime Cain. No one at HW has the TDD Gus has other than maybe Blaydes, also no one at HW is as fast as Gus either so saying that since Gus gave Jones a tough fight that means all HWs will is laughably stupid.

If DC can expose the whole HW division Jones can do it better.

It's no secret. Jones' toughest fights have been against 6'4 LHWs. Now imagine those LHWs could kill you with 1 shot like JDS, Overeem, Ngannou, Werdum, Stipe etc

It's no secret. Jones' toughest fights have been against 6'4 LHWs. Now imagine those LHWs could kill you with 1 shot like JDS, Overeem, Ngannou, Werdum, Stipe etc

First off, Jones only struggled against Gustafsson. He literally picked up and threw Bonnar and OSP (who are basically HWs) like ragdolls. He was tentative in the OSP fight, and he gassed in the third round against Bonnar. He wasn't in real danger against either of those guys.

Additionally, HWs hit harder, but are less agile and much less athletic than guys at 205. Look at how much faster DC is than those guys. They can't even hit him cleanly, and get embarrassed in grappling exchanges because they can't keep pace with him.

Cormier has been hurt badly in all of his fights against elite LHWs but has never even lost a round at HW.

You mentioned Overeem, but you ignore the fact that he fared much as a HW than at LHW.

The only guys that I see presenting a real threat to Jones at HW are Stipe and pre-back injury Cain.

Honestly, I'd also pick Gus and Rumble (and Reyes once he gets more seasoning) over most of the guys at HW.

He has physical advantages at 205 which disappear if he fights at heavyweight.

Conor had good physical advantages at 145 over the majority of his opponents, which he doesn't have over many opponents at 155.

I think Jones could be successful, but he would lose at heavyweight.

Now that he's clean (supposedly), we will see how good he REALLY is

Sherbros are gonna sherbros!!

We will NEVER know until we see it!

I dont doubt Jones talent, how good will he do at HW?... man... that's just speculations!!

For sure. He's not built like other HWs. He should stay in his lane.

Jones would juice up to 240lbs and wreck everyone's knee at HW.

Jones easily beats DC at HW. He can't out-wrestle him and he'll NEVER catch Jones with one of those shots he caught Stipe with. Jones is way too smart and way too quick for DC.

First off, Jones only struggled against Gustafsson. He literally picked up and threw Bonnar and OSP (who are basically HWs) like ragdolls. He was tentative in the OSP fight, and he gassed in the third round against Bonnar. He wasn't in real danger against either of those guys.

Additionally, HWs hit harder, but are less agile and much less athletic than guys at 205. Look at how much faster DC is than those guys. They can't even hit him cleanly, and get embarrassed in grappling exchanges because they can't keep pace with him.

You mentioned Overeem, but you ignore the fact that he fared much as a HW than at LHW.

The only guys that I see presenting a real threat to Jones at HW are Stipe and pre-back injury Cain.

Honestly, I'd also pick Gus and Rumble (and Reyes once he gets more seasoning) over most of the guys at HW.

Dc is much faster then jj. Thats why a guy with 70 inch reach was able to tag a guy wiht 84 inch reach. He def ragdolled bonnar who was never an exceptional fighter and shouldnt havent even been fighting for the title. Overeem never fought at lightheavy in the ufc. He struggled at lightheavy because he was fighting in pride in its prime and he was very new to mma. He found his footing with horse meat ;). I think rumble gus and reyes could take over heavyweight division because of their styles. Rumble would do really well because all these heavyweights i mentioned have weak chins. Jones doesnt have the mustard to take advantage of that i dont think.

Maybe he's just simply suited for LHW...?
It’s almost like Jon is a lanky ectomorph who walks around 220-225lbs and easily cuts to 205 with zero problem. Never missed weight or had to use a towel to make weight.

Unlike Mr. Towel man DC who killed himself to get to 205 to fight the GOATJones since Jones is the A-side of them two. DC balloons up to 250lbs+ and is considered obese by his height to weight ratio.

Jones is simply a more disciplined superior athlete who is suited for LHW, but could still absolutely contend for the HW title whenever he pleases. I mean he did KO the current HW champ...

It’s almost like Jon is a lanky ectomorph who walks around 220-225lbs and easily cuts to 205 with zero problem. Never missed weight or had to use a towel to make weight.

Unlike Mr. Towel man DC who killed himself to get to 205 to fight the GOATJones since Jones is the A-side of them two. DC balloons up to 250lbs+ and is considered obese by his height to weight ratio.

Jones is simply a more disciplined superior athlete who is suited for LHW, but could still absolutely contend for the HW title whenever he pleases. I mean he did KO the current HW champ...
Styles make fights

All the juicing stuff aside (because it matters but gets us nowhere in this discussion) there are some logical gaps by TS here.

If DC can land clean on Jones at LHW (which he did, repeatedly) and Jones can eat them and be fine, why are we questioning Jones' ability to take punches from HW's? DC just smoked a legit HW in Stipe so obviously DC has power, right?

Is the answer that DC just carries far more power when he's bigger and fighting at HW? Okay, reasonable view. But then why would anyone assume that a bigger version of Jones wouldn't also carry more power and be able to put away these HW's?

Hmm...

No.

HW division is light years below lhw skill level. Jones has a much easier time at HW.

Bigger, slower guys will not have an advantage vs JJ in any facet beside power.

Back