The Satanic Temple sues Netflix for $150 million for using a statue of a demon god in 'The Chilling

Son of Jamin

Make MMA Great Again
@Silver
Reaction score
105562774-1541702091098image_1541122272_95507496.530x298.jpg

The Satanic Temple is suing Netflix over the use of a Satanic statue used in the production of "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina".
Netflix and Warner Bros. are feeling the wrath of satanists.

The Satanic Temple is suing Netflix and Warner Brothers for $150 million, saying the companies infringed on its copyrights, violated its trademark, and caused injury to its business reputation, according to court documents filed on Thursday in a New York district court.

At the center of the controversy is Baphomet, described in the court documents as "an androgynous goat-headed deity." A statue of the satanic god surrounded by children is featured in the Netflix series "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina."

However, the lawsuit claims the show's statue is similar to its real-life Baphomet monument, which was made famous by an Indiegogo campaign in 2014. Although it was intended to be installed next to the Ten Commandments at the Oklahoma State Capitol, it now resides in Detroit after multiple protests. The Baphomet statue has since become "a central icon that has come to represent us [satanists] as a people," explained The Satanic Temple co-founder Lucien Greaves.

"To have that all at once entirely eclipsed by some Netflix show by a production department who did a Google Image Search... A lot of people who haven't heard of us first stand to just recognize that monument as the 'Sabrina' monument, which dilutes and denigrates the entire project," he said.

Because the statue is featured prominently in the show, The Satanic Temple claims its members are being associated with the "evil antagonists" depicted in the series. The characters of the show, who worship the "Dark Lord" or Satan, engage in cannibalism, necromancy, murder and torture, among other nefarious activities.

The Satanic Temple, on the other hand, "does not promote evil and instead holds to the basic principle that undue suffering is bad, and that which reduces suffering is good," the organization claims. It hails Satan as a "rebel against God's authority, rather than an evil being."

The religious group reached out to Netflix and Warner Bros. to remove the depiction when it became aware of the statue in the series, but its request went unanswered.

"It does really kind of normalize this notion that the only true meaning of this type of religious identification is one that can be associated with a patriarchal, cannibalistic cult," Greaves said. "We're so inundated with this anti-Satan fiction that a lot of people think its superfluous to pursue to a claim like this at all."

Netflix and Warner Bros. declined to comment, citing pending litigation.

Summary:
  • The Satanic Temple is suing Netflix and Warner Brothers for $150 million, saying the companies infringed on its copyrights, violated its trademark, and caused injury to its business reputation in its show "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina."
  • The Satanic Temple says in the lawsuit that it has a copyright on the depiction of Baphomet used in the show.
Satan is not pleased...

We know that Jesus is more powerful than Satan, now we will have to see if Netflix and Warner Brothers are also more powerful than Satan.

WWSD
I guess he would sue people for using his likeness

First we couldn't make fun of that muslim Mo dude and now this!

“Hey! Satan’s not a bad guy! But this show is giving him a bad rep. Now give us millions of dollars!”

-Filthy satanists

Can someone explain to me where the amount comes from? Like why is it 150 mil? That's how much damage netflix caused their religion? I never understood that shit.

you cant trademark Satan, he loves us all

Can someone explain to me where the amount comes from? Like why is it 150 mil? That's how much damage netflix caused their religion? I never understood that shit.
Roughly?
Check viewer ratings vs revenue
Then shoot high a couple million, so they can counter low (which would roughly be what they wanted)

Kinda like selling something on craigslist and ebay.
Know what you want, then list it higher. The counter will usually be around what you intended

I'd love to be judge to rule against Netflix for damaging the reputation of Satanists.

Praise Satan, Netflix shall pay.

tenor.gif

This is what happens when people abuse the first amendment and decide establish a religion.

Lol at the satanic Temple trying to make a penny out of this

So anytime a movie shows a crucifix the Catholic church can sue too?

So anytime a movie shows a crucifix the Catholic church can sue too?

I think the premise is that the statue in the show is identical to their statue. The character of Baphomet itself is in the public domain and not subject to copyright protection, just like a Crucifix. But if someone made a particular work of art of a crucifix, say one made out of pancakes or something, then someone else copied it, then you could maybe have a copyright infringement claim.

Satan doing lawyer shit, as per usual.

Satan probably needs a new yacht, jet, or something else expensive.

Back