Jon Jones has a harder time at heavyweight

It's a myth that Jones struggles against bigger guys. The only fighter that he's struggled against is Gus.

There's simply no solid proof to be saying that Jones "struggles" against a particular type of fighter.

It’s almost like Jon is a lanky ectomorph who walks around 220-225lbs and easily cuts to 205 with zero problem. Never missed weight or had to use a towel to make weight.

Unlike Mr. Towel man DC who killed himself to get to 205 to fight the GOATJones since Jones is the A-side of them two. DC balloons up to 250lbs+ and is considered obese by his height to weight ratio.

Jones is simply a more disciplined superior athlete who is suited for LHW, but could still absolutely contend for the HW title whenever he pleases. I mean he did KO the current HW champ...
I have zero doubts whatsoever if there was a 195 division Jones could easily make it. Rockhold is 6'3" and well-built and he makes 185.

He's not even a big 205'er despite what you hear on Sherdog. They just don't want to acknowledge Jones runs through guys at LHW because of how skilled he is.

I think JJ struggles against bigger guys with power in their hands who have decent take down defense. He doesnt have the power to finish these guys like dc does.
Guys who could potentially beat jones at heavyweight -

Stipe - I think jones would really struggle against him. Stipe is basically a stronger version of gus with better wrestling
Dos Santos - I know hes fallen off quiet a bit but his in and out boxing style and power would give jones trouble.
Overeem - One of the greatest strikers ever who could muscle jon around in the clinch
Alexander Volkov - An even bigger version of gus.

I think JJ destroys caine however. JJ would probably put caine on his back over and over again as he does with smaller guys and ground and pounds him out.

You think he puts Cain on his back "over and over again," but he doesn't do the same to JDS who is also probably only about 5-10 pounds bigger than Jones would be at HW..............OK there guy

The fight with prime Cain is interesting. I think he beats JDS with his wrestling and pitter-patter point fighting.

Dc is much faster then jj. Thats why a guy with 70 inch reach was able to tag a guy wiht 84 inch reach. He def ragdolled bonnar who was never an exceptional fighter and shouldnt havent even been fighting for the title. Overeem never fought at lightheavy in the ufc. He struggled at lightheavy because he was fighting in pride in its prime and he was very new to mma. He found his footing with horse meat ;). I think rumble gus and reyes could take over heavyweight division because of their styles. Rumble would do really well because all these heavyweights i mentioned have weak chins. Jones doesnt have the mustard to take advantage of that i dont think.

Disagree about DC being significantly faster than Jones. I think that they're close. Jones got lit up a bit during the second round of the rematch, but he was able to score combinations against DC in both of those fights in a way that we've never seen anybody at HW even come close to doing.

Also, I know that Bonnar is mediocre. He lost to the ghost of Mark Coleman after he fought Jones. I was taking issue with the notion that Jones had trouble with Bonnar's size. Jones was doing whatever he wanted to against Bonnar in the first two round of that fight. His issue was his gas tank not Bonnar's size.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he struggles if he is clean not matter the weight division he fights in.

I think JJ struggles against bigger guys with power in their hands who have decent take down defense. He doesnt have the power to finish these guys like dc does.
Guys who could potentially beat jones at heavyweight -

Stipe - I think jones would really struggle against him. Stipe is basically a stronger version of gus with better wrestling
Dos Santos - I know hes fallen off quiet a bit but his in and out boxing style and power would give jones trouble.
Overeem - One of the greatest strikers ever who could muscle jon around in the clinch
Alexander Volkov - An even bigger version of gus.

I think JJ destroys caine however. JJ would probably put caine on his back over and over again as he does with smaller guys and ground and pounds him out.

but jon jones cardio is gonna prove to be a huge asset for him against heavy weights. those guys gas a lot quicker than light heavyweights. as long as jones makes it out the first one or two rounds, he'll win every single heavyweight fight. and he's also capable of finishing heavy weights in other ways even though he doesn't have power, what he does have is deadly elbows and knees

It’s almost like Jon is a lanky ectomorph who walks around 220-225lbs and easily cuts to 205 with zero problem. Never missed weight or had to use a towel to make weight.

Unlike Mr. Towel man DC who killed himself to get to 205 to fight the GOATJones since Jones is the A-side of them two. DC balloons up to 250lbs+ and is considered obese by his height to weight ratio.

Jones is simply a more disciplined superior athlete who is suited for LHW, but could still absolutely contend for the HW title whenever he pleases. I mean he did KO the current HW champ...

You got that right Jon is not a heavy framed man truly a ectomorph where it's harder to pack on that solid muscle & weight, where DC is that endomorph just thick through and through who can pack on weight just looking at a plate of food. Seems people confuse height with size instead of looking at frame and mass.

As you mentioned Jon as never had a issue with making weight at 205 so why people wanna cast him up to the lifeless heavies is a little beyond me, actually it's not they just wanna see him get KO'ed or manhandled by some overweight mma fighter.

You got that right Jon is not a heavy framed man truly a ectomorph where it's harder to pack on that solid muscle & weight, where DC is that endomorph just thick through and through who can pack on weight just looking at a plate of food. Seems people confuse height with size instead of looking at frame and mass.

As you mentioned Jon as never had a issue with making weight at 205 so why people wanna cast him up to the lifeless heavies is a little beyond me, actually it's not they just wanna see him get KO'ed or manhandled by some overweight mma fighter.
Exactly man.. these guys just praying and dreaming to see the GOAT get knocked off by anyone..lots of Jones haters disguised as fake DC fans because of this.

Take Volkov off that list, dude is too slow, JJ would pick him apart. Stipe would have a good shot I think but Two Saints and Undereem are past their prime, I think JJ would just hit and run til he caught them with something just enough to damage them and then finished them. Especially Undereem, his chin is GONE, JJ could easily crack it despite his otherwise lack of KO power. Timing and placement > KO power and JJ has got that for sure.

Perhaps Jones won vs. DC at LHW because DC drained himself. Brutal weight cuts tend to make fighters more susceptible to knockouts and also make them lose strength.

rs_640x360-170522183117-the_bachelorette-6_02_30_pm_-_6_02_33_pm-2017-05-22.gif

The spectulation is surely claims that Jones would dominate a higher division he's never fought in.

I do think theres a good argument that DC represents one of the best style matchups for Jones at HW allowing him to exploit his size/reach advantages. I'd pick Jones at HW as well(although I think Cormier might have a better shot) but that doesn't mean Jones automatically is favoured over guys DC beats.

Just look at the Cain > JDS > Werdum > Cain roundabout.

ive been a jj hater since he arrived with his fake ass goody good attitude. Could tell right away that wasnt the real guy as we soon found out. That being said hes probably the best fighter ever skill wise.

The heavyweight division is TERRIBLE and right now it's the weakest that it's ever been. Elite light heavyweights like Jones, DC, Gus and Rumble can beat that entire division. Stipe doesn't have the chin or defense and Werdum is too far past his prime. Jones was the king of the LHW division when it was actually competitive...he'd rule at HW too.

What if Jones turns into a KO machine at Heavyweight?
<{Joewithit}>

Using his struggle against Gus as proof he would lose to current HW’s is laughable. The version of Gus that he struggled with would run thru the current heavyweight division, aside from Daniel; most likely. Jones would decimate Stipe. Stipe wouldn’t even be able to touch Jones.

Jones was rag doll tossing OSP. I wouldn’t use that fight as an example of him struggling either. None of the HW’s are as mobile and athletic as OSP, anyhow.

There is a reason Jones has always been scared to fight at heavyweight. Yeah he has mentioned it as a possibility, but it's one thing to talk about it & another thing to be about it.

The heavyweight division is TERRIBLE and right now it's the weakest that it's ever been. Elite light heavyweights like Jones, DC, Gus and Rumble can beat that entire division. Stipe doesn't have the chin or defense and Werdum is too far past his prime. Jones was the king of the LHW division when it was actually competitive...he'd rule at HW too.
I don't think Rumble can make 265.

Back