Is TUF still relevant?

I can name only one TUF winner for the last few years and it’s only because they gave her a belt

I can name only one TUF winner for the last few years and it’s only because they gave her a belt
Uhh... dating back to 2015, the domestic TUF winners who have had at least 1 additional fight in the UFC are:

Nicco Montano
Tim Elliott
Tatiana Suarez
Andrew Sanchez
Ryan Hall
Kamaru Usman

Aside from Andrew Sanchez, how can you not recognize every single one of those names?

Honestly, a guy (or girl i guess) can accomplish something extremely similar with one standout performance on Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series. That show has really made TUF kinda obsolete, in my opinion.

With the Contender Series, the winner has the opportunity to make a huge impression in front of the right people. They don't have to live in a frat house for however many weeks and fight a bunch of times.

SO to answer the question, is TUF still relevant, i'd say not so much anymore.

Honestly, a guy (or girl i guess) can accomplish something extremely similar with one standout performance on Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series. That show has really made TUF kinda obsolete, in my opinion.

With the Contender Series, the winner has the opportunity to make a huge impression in front of the right people. They don't have to live in a frat house for however many weeks and fight a bunch of times.

Yes, but if you win TUF, you're signed to the UFC.

You can have an extremely impressive performance on DWTNCS, and end up with crickets. Hell, Kyler Phillips won his fight on DWTNCS in 46 seconds, and his reward was being cast on TUF 27. (He would lose in the opening round to eventual tournament winner, Brad Katona.)

Uhh... dating back to 2015, the domestic TUF winners who have had at least 1 additional fight in the UFC are:

Nicco Montano
Tim Elliott
Tatiana Suarez
Andrew Sanchez
Ryan Hall
Kamaru Usman

Aside from Andrew Sanchez, how can you not recognize every single one of those names?

That’s not really what I meant. I’m sure I recognize even more TUF participants than the ones you noted. What I meant is I don’t associate anybody from who you listed from TUF. I know Usman of course, I didn’t know he was from TUF. Same with the others save Montano.

I don’t follow TUF and it’s not really a point of emphasis for the winners or past participants anymore. Atleast not from the commentators. I never really watched TUF even in its heyday but the winners and participants were always distinguished in some way.

Yes, but if you win TUF, you're signed to the UFC.

You can have an extremely impressive performance on DWTNCS, and end up with crickets. Hell, Kyler Phillips won his fight on DWTNCS in 46 seconds, and his reward was being cast on TUF 27. (He would lose in the opening round to eventual tournament winner, Brad Katona.)

True, and good point about Kyler Phillips.

On a slightly different note, what was up with Brad Katona's accent? He's like a regular Canadian dude who spent like a little time training in Ireland at SBG and suddenly he's got this ridiculous brogue that makes him sound like he has a speech impediment.

It bothered me for some reason lol.

True, and good point about Kyler Phillips.

On a slightly different note, what was up with Brad Katona's accent? He's like a regular Canadian dude who spent like a little time training in Ireland at SBG and suddenly he's got this ridiculous brogue that makes him sound like he has a speech impediment.

It bothered me for some reason lol.

lol at video title. maybe it's just a dweeby canadian accent?

Not when I can’t even watch it on Fight Pass...
That is a legitimate problem. I tried to watch it legally for a while. Heck I paid a dollar an episode when it was available for that. But I don't have the tv station, and I can't can't even pay to watch it legitimately. After they didn't air the final episodes before the finale and I had it spoiled I finally gave up and now steam it where ever they put it. But I agree. Pretty unhappy by how unaccessible they made it for me.

It accomplishes the same thing for the fighters in terms of giving them the same oppertunity. Maybe even a better oppertunity. They don't even have to be one of the best, they simply need to win one fight and make it exciting. But for me as a fan watching both, I remember most of the TUF contenders when they are on a UFC card and I'm pumped to see them. Most of the DWTNCS I might vaguely recognize the name and I assume they are one of those has fought once on the prelims guys, I don't realize they were on DWTNCS until I am told, and even then I don't remember them I just say... oh okay that's why I recognize their name.

That’s not really what I meant. I’m sure I recognize even more TUF participants than the ones you noted. What I meant is I don’t associate anybody from who you listed from TUF. I know Usman of course, I didn’t know he was from TUF. Same with the others save Montano.

I don’t follow TUF and it’s not really a point of emphasis for the winners or past participants anymore. Atleast not from the commentators. I never really watched TUF even in its heyday but the winners and participants were always distinguished in some way.
It's pretty hard to recognize any of the names of something you don't watch or follow. My friends who only come to the occasional UFC recognize few if any fighters, but for myself who watches them all I recognize and remember most of them when they are on a card, and it makes the card one I am pumped for.

Last season I really watched was Jones vs Sonnen, mainly because I find Chael entertaining and his coaching/motivational talks were great.

This is the problem I'm finding with Dana White's Tuesday night contender series. (which I watch and is a good platform for finding new fighters). But with TUF you take 8 or 16 fighters and put them in a tournament, you quickly weed out the weak links and end up with the best fighters for the organization. With DWTNCS you have 10 fighters with 5 winners and 5 losers in different weight classes getting signed because they are exciting fighters, but not tested to any real degree because they simply had one untested competition. DWTNCS will bring in some good fighters no doubt, that's what happens when you sign 25 new fighters every season, but it will also bring in a lot more flops who won't last.
actually alot of them don't even get signed. You need a spectacular finish to contract and even that won't guarantee a contract.

DWTNCS is alot more brutal than you think. 5 winners but only 1 or 2 are usually chosen, on a rare occasion 3. Sometimes the fighters have to fight again in DWTNCS. (Greg Hardy won and fought twice via KO and he's on a "developmental contract".)

Last season I really watched was Jones vs Sonnen, mainly because I find Chael entertaining and his coaching/motivational talks were great.
I watched the first few TUF brazil but then decided to stick with English. But then Sonnen was on on the next season so I watched it for the same reason that Chael is entertaining.

actually alot of them don't even get signed. You need a spectacular finish to contract and even that won't guarantee a contract.

DWTNCS is alot more brutal than you think. 5 winners but only 1 or 2 are usually chosen, on a rare occasion 3. Sometimes the fighters have to fight again in DWTNCS. (Greg Hardy won and fought twice via KO and he's on a "developmental contract".)

I do know that a lot of them don't get signed. I watch them all. I also watched the first 3 episodes of Dana White's contender series Brazil and then I couldn't find any more of them, but I plan to look again.
But it is a lot more than 1 or 2 getting chosen. That is how it started out, but as more started finishing the number of contracts ramped up. I think the first season was like an average of 2 contracts a show. The second season it was 24 contracts, 3 a show, though sometimes it was 1 or 2, sometimes it was 3 or 4. And that is not even including the developmental contracts (I think 2 through the two seasons), or the people who made it onto TUF as a result... Or even the many fighters who got called into the UFC afterwards even though they didn't win their contract.
So with the 10 fighters now they are giving 3 of them contracts on average. And 6 more who weren't offered contracts have been given short notice replacement fights (most of those from season 1).
Furthermore I'm cheering for them to get that contract. I see a win and finish and like Dana I feel they deserve it. But they are still not proving it like through TUF, it is just one fight.
Furthermore I have to say that I don't like how DWTNCS is run because it is so "brutal". In that in TUF. If you win the season, you earn your contract. In DWTNCS you could put on a flawless performance and be the best on the show. But because someone had a flashier finish then you. Or because you are fighting a better opponent. Or because someone had a better record than you, you might not get the contract. It's not like in TUF where you can just fight them and show you deserve it more. It can be completely out of your hands.
So I prefer the tournament format.

Getting good enough ratings that ESPN picked it up to go along with their UFC contract.
Why don't a lot of people on Sherdog post about current TUF seasons?

So is TUF gonna still be a thing? I keep hearing from Dana that it will remain but no news of the next season yet

So is TUF gonna still be a thing? I keep hearing from Dana that it will remain but no news of the next season yet
Well they sold the tuf house and didn't dana also say they're doing less seasons going forward. I could see tuf 29 starting late 2019 maybe using their Shanghai PI with an Asian cast.

I have to say I was confused when Leah was talking about being the last ever to fight in the TUF house. So I went on sherdog TUF forum. And no one was saying anything. Very confusing.
s

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back