evolution of mma shorts

why wouldnt you wear them?
Since my work schedule I can’t join a dedicated Muay Thai gym at the moment so I’ve been going to a fitness styled place, there are kickboxing classes that are taught by local fighters on the local scene. So it’s thai boxing technique, but no sparring. Heavy bag and pads only. I suppose I could just get some and wear them anyway.

Since my work schedule I can’t join a dedicated Muay Thai gym at the moment so I’ve been going to a fitness styled place, there are kickboxing classes that are taught by local fighters on the local scene. So it’s thai boxing technique, but no sparring. Heavy bag and pads only. I suppose I could just get some and wear them anyway.

i dont know if you might stand out or something at 24 hour fitness, at a muay thai gym or mma gym is where i thougth you were

i dont know if you might stand out or something at 24 hour fitness, at a muay thai gym or mma gym is where i thougth you were
It is at a boxing gym that also has kickboxing, just no sparring. I doubt they want the liability of having people knocked out from head kicks lol

I lost interest in mma a long time ago, but i'm still wearing my Sprawl shorts to the gym, had them more than a decade too.

i have a bunch of pairs of compression pants for mma that i wear to train and i do own one pair of compression shorts with a cup insert and a groin cup but i dont have a cup insert on any of the compression pants, i want to know if anyone knows a good solution because i have heard a jockstrap is really uncomfortable it seems like theres only two options either wear a jockstrap under my compression pants or wear my compression shorts that already have a insert for the cup underneath my compression pants but i feel like that might look wierd please any suggestions would be really helpful and also if you wear a jockstrap do you wear boers underneath beause id imagine it will irritate the skin alot all i ever wear is compression shorts with a cup

Last edited:
I lost interest in mma a long time ago, but i'm still wearing my Sprawl shorts to the gym, had them more than a decade too.

Same. They're in my rotation. In hindsight, not as comfy comparatively as the newer stuff, but that's technology but they have stood the test of time.

My only issue with them from when I bought them over a decade ago is that my waist size has dropped a size or 2 (depending on whether pizza is currently in the diet)

i have a bunch of pairs of compression pants for mma that i wear to train and i do own one pair of compression shorts with a cup insert and a groin cup but i dont have a cup insert on any of the compression pants, i want to know if anyone knows a good solution because i have heard a jockstrap is really uncomfortable it seems like theres only two options either wear a jockstrap under my compression pants or wear my compression shorts that already have a insert for the cup underneath my compression pants but i feel like that might look wierd please any suggestions would be really helpful and also if you wear a jockstrap do you wear boers underneath beause id imagine it will irritate the skin alot all i ever wear is compression shorts with a cup

Nah dude, don't wear boxer shorts (I'm assuming that's the word you're looking for). Just wear another pair of normal underwear. Probably not y fronts, just wear a pair that covers more of the leg.

In my view, if you have the pocket for the cup, use it. If it moves, it's not a very good pair of pants for it.

my cup setup is underwear, jockstrap/cup, compression shorts over the jock strap to really help keep it in place. Most comfortable setup i have found for myself.

I'll wear compression shorts or spats (depending on how cold it is). Then my Jaco compression shorts with cup over the top followed by shorts....

I wear underwear at the bottom obviously.

I ended up getting a pair of Fairtex retro shorts and a pair of triumph United shorts on sale

In the theme of evolution...

This Liddell-Ortiz fight is like back to being in the mid 00s..... flame shorts vs icicles...

I still want a pair of Liddell Tapout icicles shorts to this day

after all these years they dont sell MMA or muay thai gear in American sizes, Asian made OP walmart board shorts fit me fine but i cant find a single pair of mma or muay thai shorts over a 42" waist. I have massive legs and headkick with ease, about 5" from full Russian splits (van damme) so i have to wear tights in competition.

The gladiator style is genius and jon jones wears split legs for mobility yet NOBODY makes THESE styles in big mans for a reasonable price!!! MORONS!!!

I have a pair of ring to cage muay thai shorts in their largest size and it fits ONE OF MY THIGHS!!

No kidding the elastic waist actually will stay up around a single one of my THIGHS!

I can get in them because the waist stretchers about 4 times its "resting" width but they bind when i kick.

Im 5'11'' 300lbs 25% bodyfat train 3 times a week

Last edited:
fashion itself sucks today men wearing skinny jeans and super tight shorts even i preferred the style from 2007 2008 till round 2013 we had great mma shorts rashguards back then now all mma gear sucks anyone whos even trained 10years should be able to notice a huge difference in the gear that was out in 2009 when they first started

fashion itself sucks today men wearing skinny jeans and super tight shorts even i preferred the style from 2007 2008 till round 2013 we had great mma shorts rashguards back then now all mma gear sucks anyone whos even trained 10years should be able to notice a huge difference in the gear that was out in 2009 when they first started

I know I personally preferred the fashion from the late 1800's over the 1900's or the 2000's.

Back