Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Surely you've got to compare like with like, i.e. T-Mobile shows with T-Mobile shows.

So 222 drew $1.367 million at the gate while the Ferguson/Lee, DJ/Borg double header drew $678k, at the same venue. Now maybe I'm missing something but you do have to compare apples with apples.

Surely you've got to compare like with like, i.e. T-Mobile shows with T-Mobile shows.

So 222 drew $1.367 million at the gate while the Ferguson/Lee, DJ/Borg double header drew $678k, at the same venue. Now maybe I'm missing something but you do have to compare apples with apples.

"Apples with apples", huh? Well, the last T-Mobile show was McGregor vs. Khabib, which did a live gate of $17.2 million. Ergo, $1.367 million is horrendous, according to your own dishonest logic.

Will sobriety greatly improve the performance of Jessy Jess?

"Apples with apples", huh? Well, the last T-Mobile show was McGregor vs. Khabib, which did a live gate of $17.2 million. Ergo, $1.367 million is horrendous, according to your own dishonest logic.

Wow, so Cyborg isn't as big a draw as McGregor/Khabib but bigger than the Ferguson/Lee DJ/Borg double header. You ignored the second part of course but then you want to paint wmma as some kind of financial disaster zone.

Will sobriety greatly improve the performance of Jessy Jess?

Greatly improve? No. Lots of fighters drink heavily, and it's often hard to tell any difference between them and those that don't.

But more importantly, it's wonderful that she kicked the habit, and I hope she keeps it up.

Wow, so Cyborg isn't as big a draw as McGregor/Khabib but bigger than the Ferguson/Lee DJ/Borg double header. You ignored the second part of course but then you want to paint wmma as some kind of financial disaster zone.

The point, which you missed (what else is new?), is that the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas is not some awful arena/location where the UFC always makes less money, as your post was implying.

Ferguson/Lee was a notorious disaster, but Cyborg-Kunitskaya making a $1.37 million live gate is quite bad too, and well below average for the amount of PPVs sold.

All this a pointless arguing over who does better ratings, who brings in more ticket sales (guess what, UFC has dozens of metrics to go by, I’m sure they know what is what more than any keyboard warrior), and i’m Just here like “3 events with ladies fighting on Friday, and 2 on Saturday? It’s a good weekend”

Here's better footage of the Alibeth Milliron-Tara Graff fight from KOTC: In The Mix last week. Milliron won with a 12 second TKO.

What I actually read about Jessica Rose Clark & drinking was she drank for
at least a decade to the point of abusing alcohol so if she is sober now she
probably would be healthier.

Olga looking great, i like Cindy but won't be mad at a FW prospect getting a high profile win this time

DsAKUBsV4AA1CPn.jpg:large

Road FC 51: XX fight card shaping up, possibly completed:

Road FC 51: XX
Atomweight Championship: Seo-Hee Ham (C, 19-8) vs/ Jeong-Eun Park (4-4-1)
Everyone knows who Ham is in here. Coming off her first round KO of Jinh Yu Frey last December, she had to take half the year off to heal a broken arm. Park is probably the best of the new generation (we'll call it the second generation, Ham being the only real member of the first) of female fighters in Korea. Don't let the record fool you, those losses are to legit opponents with experience.<Oku03>

Atomweight: Ye-Ji Lee (3-4) vs. Su-Yeon Lee (DEBUT)
The high school fighter Ye Ji Lee is all grown up, and this time Ye Ji Lee takes on Su-Yeon Lee, who was a contestant on Road's most recent reality TV show, "Fearless Guys"<{1-16}>

Atomweight: Yu-Ri Shim (4-2) vs. Ming Shi (2-2)
Shi is coming in hot after her win over So-Hee Lim earlier this month, and this time, she brings her Muay Thai styling to take on the Chinese TKD stylist Ming Shi, who last fought at Road FC in August. It's Korean Muay Thai vs Chinese TKD. <{1-15}>

-60kg Catchweight: Yeong-Ji Kim (1-3) vs. Hae-In Kim (0-1-1)
-Young-Ji is known as the first fighter to defeat Yoshiko, and a two time (mma and shootboxing) opponent of KING Reina. She'll be taking on TKD stylist Hae-In, who last fought against the rooki beating grandma Emiko Raika last year.<{1-2}>

Atomweight: Yun-Ha Hong (1-4) vs. Hyeon-Ju Baeg (0-3)
These two represent the epitome of what it means to be a Korean female fighter: racking up losses to more experienced opponents. Hong is coming off her first victory, over Yu-Ri Shim last October. Baeg, meanwhile, has fought her last two in Japan, including a fight against 30-fight(!) veteran Emi Fujino. Will Hong make it two in a row, or will Baeg's "0" go? <{1-69}>

Atomweight Championship: Seo-Hee Ham (C, 19-8) vs/ Jeong-Eun Park (4-4-1)
Don't let the record fool you, those losses are to legit opponents with experience.
And those wins were against Korean cans in their debuts, exception being a 13-14 fighter <45> what a great contender

It's a good question, and I'm sure that WME has quants working full-time to answer it. I imagine they probably use a combination of numbers, with PPV buys, live gate, and merchandise being the most important, and things like TV ratings being lumped in with social media numbers.

If that's the case it brings us full circle. Without insider info on how the UFC owners & management do their number crunching, none of us can make any definitive conclusions on whether WMMA is a financial asset or liability, and the same thing for fighters other than outliers like Ronda or GSP. The best we can do is make guesses based on the publicly available info floating around and that info's not anywhere near complete. And even if we did have the info, we don't know how the quants will fondle & mutilate the numbers.

Pannie was just in a video with a freshly busted up face. Meaning she is most likely a top 4 fighter. The last time that happened it was Rose for TUF20.

It seems like the freshly busted up face turns out to be correct again as an indicator of a finalist. First time with Thug Rose and now Pannie. With how obvious Leah Letson has been making it with her social media posts reflecting her career to this point I fully expect her to be the one who Pannie fights in the TUF Finale. I hear it was actually a fun fight tonight and possibly the best of the season. Pannie was the one I wanted to win this season so I hope she can finish out strong during the finale.

It seems like the freshly busted up face turns out to be correct again as an indicator of a finalist. First time with Thug Rose and now Pannie. With how obvious Leah Letson has been making it with her social media posts reflecting her career to this point I fully expect her to be the one who Pannie fights in the TUF Finale. I hear it was actually a fun fight tonight and possibly the best of the season. Pannie was the one I wanted to win this season so I hope she can finish out strong during the finale.
I hope you are wrong, Macy looked so much better than Letson.. Pannie beats Letson with ease IMO

Good for Pannie! She has been through a lot. If the UFC still uses the same contracts from the last 115lb season of TUF she will fight at the TUF finale for a minimum 18.5/18.5k. If she wins she will get bumped up to 28.5k/28.5k. Its not the same amount of money as when they open a division with TUF(130k) but its a much better starting point than the normal minimum 13.5k/13.5k. If she wins will be probably 1 fight away from a nice payday vs Cyborg. I included the guaranteed Reebok pay in the numbers.

Thunder Fight in Sao Paulo, had a big card last week with 4 wmma fights. They were suposed to have a GP to crown their first 115lb champion, after issues with one of the fighters it ended up being a round robin tournament, which was different, but interesting too.
The champion was Ariane "sorriso"Carnelossi, who moves to 11-1

Nice KO on the first match against Aline Pires

Then a decision over PRVT's Joice Mara

Ariane looked great, but on the undercard they had straw-weight Clarisse Aquiles, a muay thai standout with wins in thailand having her second mma bout taking on a last minute bout at bantamweight and she looked like someone that has a future ahead of her

And those wins were against Korean cans in their debuts, exception being a 13-14 fighter <45> what a great contender

She's a fine rookie fighter whose been losing to experienced fighters, but even leto criticized Park getting a title shot when it was first announced; no reason to troll.

Janky regional records in wmma are *chef's kiss emoji*:

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/58437-bianca-reis
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/kaitlin-young
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/19822-emi-tomimatsu
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/10749-celine-haga
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/15043-simona-soukupova
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/56882-monique-bastos

Last edited:
Back