speed bags a thing of the past?

i dont mean its useless if i were training only boxing then sure but tbh if i have 1 hour to be in my boxing gym before i have to leave to go do grappling /mma i like to split my time on heavy bags shadow boxing to warm up and double end bag

atm i go to my boxing gym 4 days a week and grappling 5 days week boxing 6-7 then i teach mma or no gi from 715-830 so for me i feel its best to use my time actually getting timing and throwing punches

Good replies, thanks as well!

I for one like to encourage people to visit and read through other Forums like:

Why, because I like to encourage ancient and traditional methods of conditioning training and combine that with modern trends.

The problem I see more and more is the watering down or the nature of things being progression where there is a degradation of knowledge once respected and passed down.

Before the 15 century or the rebirth of China sections of the Martial Arts and scientific community would spend countless hours studying the human anatomy and applying various methods and techniques.

The body can generate allot of energy when you know how to find it and hone it!

Sadly some of these practices are forbidden to be taught anymore by the Chinese govt they are not fantasies or fairy tales stories for the gullible westerners, visiting Shaolin and various training camps.

First the training camps @froggyluv speaks about are a taste of what they have learned and they are a front for their martial art systems and are more for the tourist to experience the culture.

They are not the true teachings or practices that are illegal under a Communist order, the real masters and those that secretly keep many practices alive are found on the mountain tops of China but its only taught to Chinese people only or usually its not a six month camp its like a life commitment and a test of will!

Why, because its about building up the bodies tolerance that takes years for certain types of practice to master or get accustom to........ trust me on that alone..... at least!

You got to learn about the Chinese Culture.............. they are not proud of certain things, I guess for most of the world ancient times were brutes lawless individuals............... read up on the Persians and Islanders and their practices it was savage times.

People think that the modern methods of training for speed and power of today is something to be awed, no, that is only part of the process.

There are reasons why various tools and exercises where done that require medical / scientific understanding for example strengthening the medulla with various types of exercises......

7.129_107519.jpg

If you don't practice these exercises strengthening the connecting tissues to the brain when facing a direct force like a karate/boxing style punch the brain can disconnect from the connecting tissue in a severe situation.

In the below image you actually see the anatomy of the arm and how continuous extension of movement will develop those specific areas. Especially during push ups and using repetitive motion like working on a speed bag. I'm not really highlighting the speed bag but the internal exercise targeting these areas using tools like a speed bag.

493x335_bicep.jpg

Having done years of Martial Arts training there are many parts of my body that have been made stronger just by doing those exercises.

To ignore these poignant lessons of ancient times would be like thinking drink driving is okay as long as I stay awake.

Okay, now that I have covered that, its the same thing for Skipping gents.

Its the whole thing of "INTERGRATION" the human anatomy the ligaments, cartilage, tendons, muscle and bone including the nervous system that activates the electrical impulse sparking the necessary area into the active state in use.

Skipping not only builds the calves muscles but strengthens the ankle ligaments and tendons.......... in martial arts we tend to add weights at the ankles so we can do this...............

014-bruce-lee-theredlist.jpg

So the point is that working on the Speed bag, doing skipping exercises and any other activity usually has allot more to do with than just a muscle or cardio activity, and that's my point in case.

Read more here:- http://warriorfitness.org/martial-arts-training-for-mobility/

Also this link is interesting: - https://www.snakevscranewingchun.com/developing-tendons-critical

By the way Sports Martial Arts and Killing Arts are not the same one is..... "Sport the other is Military"!

Different Application and one has a Rule Set applied to it!

I'm personally amazed at the fact that there is so much lost knowledge as to why certain exercise or training equipment tools were needed are questioned and discarded as none essential methods.

Well its up to those in the Fitness and Martial Art org's to keep the knowledge, pass it on and keep it alive.................... not for get it!

Sad:(

A few videos on conditioning ......

Making the body into an...................... "IRON BAR"!

Last edited:
i dont mean its useless if i were training only boxing then sure but tbh if i have 1 hour to be in my boxing gym before i have to leave to go do grappling /mma i like to split my time on heavy bags shadow boxing to warm up and double end bag

atm i go to my boxing gym 4 days a week and grappling 5 days week boxing 6-7 then i teach mma or no gi from 715-830 so for me i feel its best to use my time actually getting timing and throwing punches

Lol.

You just tried to backpedal from your original post now?

Seems to me you didn’t know or realize what the speed bag was really for. It’s all good. Most of you don’t. Hell I don’t even know it all...

Lol.

You just tried to backpedal from your original post now?

Seems to me you didn’t know or realize what the speed bag was really for. It’s all good. Most of you don’t. Hell I don’t even know it all...
lol why would i"back pedal" am i in court t where id go to jail? lol

i started boxing in 2005 at 14 and my original trainers program was to do 6 rounds of shadow boxing 3 rounds of heavy bag 3 mins then 30 mins straight of speed bag and 30 of jump rope

i know how to hit a speed bag as iv been training for half my life now depends what u want out of training as most people here train mma as this is a mma site out of heavy bags double end bags shadow boxing sparring ect its quite obvious that the speed bag is the weakest of them all in skill building thats not even debatable so obviously when times a factor its gonna get over shadowed by other things

When done correctly it's as useful as any other bag. It's not the one that can be ignored. Keep in mind that using the bags correctly is quickly becoming a lost art. People don't really know WHY they're hitting a bag. I see it every day in our gym and it's a high-level gym. Most of the guys who hit bags are just doing busy work, not improving anything

Keep in mind that using the bags correctly is quickly becoming a lost art.

Maybe because when people ask about it, instead of helping them, YOU POST CLIPS OF VAN DAMME?

Last edited:
Bojado does some silly motions here and there but this is pretty solid. Note that he moves his feet, changes positions, changes paces (and timing) and never seems tense as he does so:

And of course Robinson. Note his punches look more akin to REAL punches as opposed to just flicking the elbow, and he times out combinations:

These guys aren't doing tricks or standing still, they're setting their bodies to function at the quickest pace possible while remaining relaxed.

Ali was the best at this when we discuss: speed, accuracy, agile and relaxed....

Just to follow this comment up, jumping rope is now almost as degraded as speed bag use. Difference is people still think jumping rope LOOKS cooler and serves a viable function. However, about as many people uselessly skip rope as who uselessly hit speed bags, doing tricks that don't translate onto fighting. They just don't feel as silly when doing it.

Now, what IS the point of skipping rope then if it's not cardio, the ability to move your feet quicker while on your toes, or rhythm? Well, it's a little word called proprioception, and the enhancement of it. If an athletic trainer doesn't know what this word is, or at least the definition of it without knowing the word itself...the concept, then they're not actually qualified to teach you how to jump rope

How do we avoid losing information about how to actually properly use tools for training boxing and the right way to actually box? You're doing a shit-ton of work just telling us shit on this here forum, but I worry that might not be enough.

Since pro boxing is, well, a business, it seems to encourage trainers that actually know their shit to keep it close to their chests rather than disseminate it freely. Which, well, I can't blame them for, a boxing trainer's gotta eat, but it makes me worry that a lot of this information is dying with them because they're not being explicit about why they do certain things and how, and students get the wrong ideas when they pass it on. Feels like Chinese Whispers.

How do we avoid losing information about how to actually properly use tools for training boxing and the right way to actually box? You're doing a shit-ton of work just telling us shit on this here forum, but I worry that might not be enough.

Since pro boxing is, well, a business, it seems to encourage trainers that actually know their shit to keep it close to their chests rather than disseminate it freely. Which, well, I can't blame them for, a boxing trainer's gotta eat, but it makes me worry that a lot of this information is dying with them because they're not being explicit about why they do certain things and how, and students get the wrong ideas when they pass it on. Feels like Chinese Whispers.

Tell you what, I'll go over what's wrong when I do my YouTube series video about spotting bad trainers. How we preserve is by practicing the opposite of everything I say

Ali was the best at this when we discuss: speed, accuracy, agile and relaxed....

Ali was very good, but I don't agree he was the BEST by default. The Sport is too rich with great fighters to make such a statement, IMO

My all time Marquez clip

he uses a few techniques on the bag here

funny how he gets pissed at the dude crowding him on the speedbag, then squares up and BANG

Ali was very good, but I don't agree he was the BEST by default. The Sport is too rich with great fighters to make such a statement, IMO

I'm talking about his skills and record - http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/180 ............nothing else..............second to him and my favorite Mike Tyson his everything Boxing is in my opinion his conditioning was the best................ just loved watching him through the 80-90's .............. no one like him since!

Really dunno if I'd say Ali was better than Ray Robinson, Joe Louis or Willie Pep, but that's an entirely different discussion.

It’s really just a lapse in knowledge on how to apply the equipment ... because the longest I felt like the speed bag was just a showy thing because of how it was presented and no one explained otherwise so I didn’t do it but as my own knowledge improved I see the way to apply it to my training

lol why would i"back pedal" am i in court t where id go to jail? lol

i started boxing in 2005 at 14 and my original trainers program was to do 6 rounds of shadow boxing 3 rounds of heavy bag 3 mins then 30 mins straight of speed bag and 30 of jump rope

i know how to hit a speed bag as iv been training for half my life now depends what u want out of training as most people here train mma as this is a mma site out of heavy bags double end bags shadow boxing sparring ect its quite obvious that the speed bag is the weakest of them all in skill building thats not even debatable so obviously when times a factor its gonna get over shadowed by other things

All this is telling me you trained all those years without realizing how much more useful the speed bag really is.

Your thread title and opening posts says it all. No need to throw out your resume to bolster your argument - it doesn’t...

Last edited:
Speed bag primarily for shoulder endurance - so you can keep your hands up the entire fight. It’s a lot of fun too, so it doesn’t feel like conditioning. Same with jumping rope - so you can stay light on your feet for the entire fight. I don’t see a lot of good high hands in MMA, but there are other things to worry about defensively in MMA so maybe speed bag more for boxing.

The speed bag is absolutely not primarily for shoulder endurance. Shoulders shouldn't even be used to keep the hands up

Back