CAPTAIN MARVEL v.2 (First Critics Reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of complaints about the trailers. Everything from stupid dialog to SJW ties but I know tons of Sherdoggers will still flock to the theaters.

Major spoilers courtesy of hasbro.

Which is funny because in the comics, Thor, Doctor Strange and even The Hulk are more powerful than her.

"Stronger" is relative, and in their cases, clearly doesnt equate to "what is needed to win"... She can travel through "the quantum realm". Strange could travel through time with the time stone, but he is gone and Thanos has the time stone.

"Stronger" is relative, and in their cases, clearly doesnt equate to "what is needed to win"... She can travel through "the quantum realm". Strange could travel through time with the time stone, but he is gone and Thanos has the time stone.
Since when?

And Ant-man can travel through there, too.

Nah. It looks alright, but not sure I'd fork out the money to see it in theaters.

That is something you just have to be able to 'give' in the comic book universes. Everytime the FF, Avengers, Xmen, and so many others dealt with a Planet or Universe ending threat it made no sense that they did not summon every other hero possible. They should have some type of InterGlobal Threat Alert system and Hero's from across the Cosmos should come running. HEck even occasional foes should come running like the reality warpers who don't want to be snapped out of existence.

But that is just not possible even in the CBU let alone the MCU where actors need to be paid and screen time is limited.
I think that the X-men universe somewhat explains this by saying that mutant problems are their problem to deal with..they try to keep a handle on the 'bad press' that bad mutants could give them, and they want the public to know that there are good mutants out there fighting the bad ones--it wouldn't look good if a team of super powered humans were the ones who had to keep putting down mutant threats. I also think they don't fully trust other hero groups to get involved, especially ones connected to the government like the Avengers and SHIELD.
Like, for the Phoenix, I think they didn't want outside help because it would probably mean they would have just killed Jean. So part of it is also just taking care of your own team/family, and/or thinking that you can handle it on your own.

Going forward though, as the MCU expands with mutants, F4, etc..I think that the world threats are going to have to taper down--and they're going to have to focus more on telling contained stories, and focus on making compelling bad guys, rather than "_______ end of the world event"..which I very much would welcome. I think it'll force comic book movies to have to be deeper and more about character development..or some sort of thematic exploration, rather than explosions and 'the next big bad'.

Captain Marvel wears Captain America's Away Kit.
Because Captain America fights on land, Captain Marvel fights in space~

First trailer for me excited

Second trailer left me less excited.

Just same old super hero movie garbage. I’ll wait for it on Netflix or Amazon. Doesn’t look super compelling to me, especially since it’s a tertiary character in the Marvel Universe that they are now trying to overpower the character in the canon on account of the fact that it’s a female lead. It’s just Marvel’s way of trying to play catch up on the Wonderwoman success.

Just same old super hero movie garbage. I’ll wait for it on Netflix or Amazon. Doesn’t look super compelling to me, especially since it’s a tertiary character in the Marvel Universe that they are now trying to overpower the character in the canon on account of the fact that it’s a female lead. It’s just Marvel’s way of trying to play catch up on the Wonderwoman success.
What's the last Marvel character or movie to straight up bomb or fail?
You guys keep saying this stuff as if Marvel is DC. They've had non-stop hits since what...Iron Man 3? Or Avengers 2?
Civil War...Guardians of the Galaxy..Thor : Ragnarok, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Ant Man, Spiderman Homecoming, Infinity War...they have had a pretty good streak of successful movies the past few years. lol why even come into a superhero movie thread if you don't like superhero movies, and gonna bitch about a movie that you've already judged before watching it?

Captain Marvel has always been powerful in the comics. We don't even know how powerful she will be in the movies yet. But with the exception of Thor and Hulk, it's not like we've really explored that many of Marvel's heavy hitters. She SHOULD be one of, if not THE most powerful beings in the MCU so far. (as far as the good guys go)

Marvel has a stellar record thus far. I don't know why everyone is doubting now--especially after what they gave us with Infinity War.

Last edited:

Yeah sure

Yea, I don't give a fuck what she does in her day-to-day life. It's just the movie doesn't look interesting. When you watch a superhero/action movie, you look for an entertaining hero, a good story/plot, exciting action scenes and an entertaining villain. So far in the MCU, only Infinity has had all 4.

RDJ as Iron Man has an entertaining hero, but uninteresting villains. The fight scenes were good, but the first Iron Man stands out because his origin story and buildup to becoming Iron Man was fun and interesting to watch. Iron Man 2 and 3, not so much.

Although Cap is bland and boring as fuck, Winter Soldier benefitted from a cool spy storyline and Civil War was basically Avengers 3 before Avengers 3, so that was cool to watch.

Thor's movies didn't start to be good until #3 and that's because they improved Thor's character and brought in other entertaining characters.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is from these two trailers, I'm seeing a bland Captain Marvel with 0 charisma and villains which I don't think they can make interesting (even in the comics, they were luke-warm to me). The action scenes seem decent and I don't know the plot yet.

Agreed. Nothing about the trailer impresses me. I might see it in the cinema, but only because I've watched nearly every MCU movie. It's certainly not on my Must Watch List.

Everytime I see Samuel L Jackson as black Nick Fury I can't help but think that Brad Pitt would have been perfect as white Nick Fury.

I think Samuel L Jackson is great in the role, but so help me I really want Brad Pitt in the MCU.

And not a 1-movie role as a villain or something, but as one of the major recurring characters.

Maybe not like Hemsworth, Downey Jr etc, who play the main heroes with their own film series. But as a cross-movie character (again, Nick Fury would be perfect).

Failing that I'm thinking maybe:
  • The Punisher?
  • Black Bolt?
  • Black Knight?
  • Namor? (I mean, what the hell, they reimagined Aquaman as Aquabiker).
  • Or some minor hero from the Gotg universe? (characters from that comic all seem to work great on-screen)
  • I dunno, Adam Warlock?
If a villain:
  • Deathstroke?
  • Taskmaster? (I could see this work in a Deadpool movie, outside the MCU)
  • Mister Sinister?
  • Paladin?

I'd want him to play some funny and/or gritty guy, not one of those wah-wah I wield the cosmic force types.

What's the last Marvel character or movie to straight up bomb or fail?
You guys keep saying this stuff as if Marvel is DC. They've had non-stop hits since what...Iron Man 3? Or Avengers 2?
Civil War...Guardians of the Galaxy..Thor : Ragnarok, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Ant Man, Spiderman Homecoming, Infinity War...they have had a pretty good streak of successful movies the past few years. lol why even come into a superhero movie thread if you don't like superhero movies, and gonna bitch about a movie that you've already judged before watching it?

Captain Marvel has always been powerful in the comics. We don't even know how powerful she will be in the movies yet. But with the exception of Thor and Hulk, it's not like we've really explored that many of Marvel's heavy hitters. She SHOULD be one of, if not THE most powerful beings in the MCU so far. (as far as the good guys go)

Marvel has a stellar record thus far. I don't know why everyone is doubting now--especially after what they gave us with Infinity War.

Don't waste your time. Its not even worth having a discussion w/ someone who isn't as invested as you are.

Why they bother to post in a topic that doesn't interest them to begin with? I have no clue.

Agreed. Nothing about the trailer impresses me. I might see it in the cinema, but only because I've watched nearly every MCU movie. It's certainly not on my Must Watch List.

Well she does seem braindead with zero personality. Then again she did lose memory. And this is her character off from the start so we're seeing early stages of carol.

I think for any mcu fans here should be excited because we'll get too see the character development mcu is notorious for.

I agree, she does seem bland and unlikeable but I'm sure over time she will develop a connection with the audience through her development.

Id rather have someone i dislike to eventually grow as a fan of them to be honest.

Also diggin cap marvels mowhawk helmet look.

Reminds me of ultimate muscle

Ultimate-Muscle-The-Kinnikuman-Legacy-Episode-3--Making-the-Cut.jpg

Everytime I see Samuel L Jackson as black Nick Fury I can't help but think that Brad Pitt would have been perfect as white Nick Fury.

I think Samuel L Jackson is great in the role, but so help me I really want Brad Pitt in the MCU.

And not a 1-movie role as a villain or something, but as one of the major recurring characters.

Maybe not like Hemsworth, Downey Jr etc, who play the main heroes with their own film series. But as a cross-movie character (again, Nick Fury would be perfect).

Failing that I'm thinking maybe:
  • The Punisher?
  • Black Bolt?
  • Black Knight?
  • Namor? (I mean, what the hell, they reimagined Aquaman as Aquabiker).
  • Or some minor hero from the Gotg universe? (characters from that comic all seem to work great on-screen)
  • I dunno, Adam Warlock?
If a villain:
  • Deathstroke?
  • Taskmaster? (I could see this work in a Deadpool movie, outside the MCU)
  • Mister Sinister?
  • Paladin?

I'd want him to play some funny and/or gritty guy, not one of those wah-wah I wield the cosmic force types.
He has the look, and could pull off white Fury...but...I feel like his role in Inglorious Bastards has tainted him. I'd probably keep waiting for him to do his country accent.

I very much like Pitt, and would like to see him in Marvel...but..I feel he wouldnt be up for a reoccurring role like Fury. Jackson is a workhorse so he'll do it all...but i dont see a guy like Pitt doing the same.

I like your pick on Namor. I could see a young Pitt as Namor..like around the era he was playing Achilles in 'Troy'
If he could do a cajun accent, I could see him as Gambit..
I could also see him as Mr Sinister for a bad guy

I think for any mcu fans here should be excited because we'll get too see the character development mcu is notorious for.

I agree, she does seem bland and unlikeable but I'm sure over time she will develop a connection with the audience through her development.

Id rather have someone i dislike to eventually grow as a fan of them to be honest.
Yep.
I'm not blown away by the trailer or character either, but Marvel knows their characters. This is a origins movie, so she's just being set up.

Captain America is pretty damn square and they have made him an absolute bad ass in the movies. Marvel has been really good about casting--not just the main characters, but surrounding them with great supporting characters for the "duller" characters to play off of
Seeing Cap next to guys like Stark or Falcon are a big part of what make these movies so great.

Yep.
I'm not blown away by the trailer or character either, but Marvel knows their characters. This is a origins movie, so she's just being set up.

Captain America is pretty damn square and they have made him an absolute bad ass in the movies. Marvel has been really good about casting--not just the main characters, but surrounding them with great supporting characters for the "duller" characters to play off of
Seeing Cap next to guys like Stark or Falcon are a big part of what make these movies so great.

Agreed, they nailed the chemistry interaction between the characters.

I'm really curious to see carol's interaction with the veterans in A4 while being under enormous amounts of pressure.

Will she tag along? Will she be hard headed?

Guess we'll find out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back