going vegan or vegetarian!!!

the only time people get negatively judged for their diet is when they try to push an agenda, be it vegeterian or omnivorous.

In almost any other Country that's extremely poor etiquette, and yet the reverse is almost never the case

One of my Chinese teachers last year told me that if you go to China and turn down food cause you're a vegetarian you better say that you do it because of religious regions. Otherwise you look like an a-hole.

I hate it when someone who is vegan is like "you know that people who are vegan live like,20 years longer than the average person right?". That shit just drives me nuts.Anyways,to each their own just don't push it on me.

the only time people get negatively judged for their diet is when they try to push an agenda, be it vegeterian or omnivorous.

You can say the same for politics, religion and the oh so heated battle of ketchup vs. mustard.

But you guys have to admit that a majority of people seem to take personally if you simply state the fact you are vegan or vegitarian. They take as some kind of personal attack on them? Why?

If you a comfortable with the meat industry and killing animals for food, then you shouldn't give fuck.

For the record, I personally don't think it's wrong to kill animals for food. It is wrong however, the WAY in which most domesticated animals are raised, treated, and killed.

(And I'm not going to even get into all the other human rights issues about the meat industry... read Fast Food Nation, if you haven't already, for a good overview of the issue, it's pretty interesting).

But you guys have to admit that a majority of people seem to take personally if you simply state the fact you are vegan or vegitarian. They take as some kind of personal attack on them? Why?

If you a comfortable with the meat industry and killing animals for food, then you shouldn't give fuck.

For the record, I personally don't think it's wrong to kill animals for food. It is wrong however, the WAY in which most domesticated animals are raised, treated, and killed.

(And I'm not going to even get into all the other human rights issues about the meat industry... read Fast Food Nation, if you haven't already, for a good overview of the issue, it's pretty interesting).

if you simply state the fact that you are an omnivore, vegitarians take it as some kind of personal attack as well...

(... read Fast Food Nation, if you haven't already, for a good overview of the issue, it's pretty interesting).

I don't get offended, I just chuckle.

If you want people to read 'Fast Food Nation', you should make sure to mention that the author is pretty tight with the anti-meat, anti-hunting Physicians Committee for Responsible Medecine. I'm just saying...

best words ever. this shit should be on a tshirt.
Go ahead and put it on a shirt. It's quite an ignorant statement, and worded/spelled completely wrong. I wouldn't wear that shirt.

if you simply state the fact that you are an omnivore, vegitarians take it as some kind of personal attack as well...

As a vegetarian I can tell you that I never attack others for their dietary beliefs unless I am forced to defend my decision. I've sat down to many a meal where I cringed knowing that the table I was sitting at was about to learn that I'm vegetarian, prompting multiple questions. I have actually started making up stories about why I'm vegetarian just to divert the heat. My latest story is that "I was convicted of assault at age 17 and that the court tied it to an imbalance that came from increase in testosterone from eating meat. It was either jail, medication or vegetarian, so I chose vegetarian". The fun part is actually seeing how many people believe me.

But in regards to attacking personal beliefs, based on my experience I am the one that is constantly forced to defend my opinion, and it always stems from someone pressing me for the "why" behind my decisions, then them becoming defensive about their own decisions.

My latest story is that "I was convicted of assault at age 17 and that the court tied it to an imbalance that came from increase in testosterone from eating meat. It was either jail, medication or vegetarian, so I chose vegetarian". The fun part is actually seeing how many people believe me.

Hahahah!!! Great story! I've found that it's the vegans who get militant; the vegetarians just sort of get a little smug.

But in regards to attacking personal beliefs, based on my experience I am the one that is constantly forced to defend my opinion, and it always stems from someone pressing me for the "why" behind my decisions, then them becoming defensive about their own decisions.

What decisions do they get defensive about?

I'm not being sarcastic, in the minds of the general public eating meat isn't a decision, it's just the way it is. From the time they're small they're given meat, and very few of them question it. So of course when they run across someone who does they're going to be curious as to why, and with inexperience dealing with said issues, they might seem a little put-off if addressed in either a condescending manner (which could be misconceived, but it's difficult to tell someone you questioned something they never did without sounding condescending), or being out-and-out lied to/patronized.

Making strict and largely uncommon dietary choices is going to garner a reaction. Same as the woman with large fake boobs should understand, people are going to look at them.

What decisions do they get defensive about?

I'm not being sarcastic, in the minds of the general public eating meat isn't a decision, it's just the way it is. From the time they're small they're given meat, and very few of them question it. So of course when they run across someone who does they're going to be curious as to why, and with inexperience dealing with said issues, they might seem a little put-off if addressed in either a condescending manner (which could be misconceived, but it's difficult to tell someone you questioned something they never did without sounding condescending), or being out-and-out lied to/patronized.

Making strict and largely uncommon dietary choices is going to garner a reaction. Same as the woman with large fake boobs should understand, people are going to look at them.

I try to write it off as "just a personal decision" or some random story (as mentioned earlier), but people often keep pushing until I tell them the real reason, which is my socio-economic belief that meat is not an efficient energy source. This immediately garners comments and questions about other aspects of my life; do I drive a car? Yes. Isn't that hypocritical? Do I wear leather? Yes. Isn't that hypocritical? Ultimately I end up defending multiple decisions I've made in my life simply because of the item that I ordered for lunch.

I became vegetarian because I thought it was an easy way for me to consume less resources. I couldn't stop driving a car (I lived in Arizona at the time which had no effective mass transit), so this was the easiest thing for me to do. If anything my health suffered from the decision for the first 8 years of being a vegetarian for reasons already discussed on this thread.

I've never made an issue about my beliefs but others commonly do. Ironically, the only person that I ever challenged regarding their dietary choices was my sister-in-law.....who was a vegetariian before me. Who knows, maybe it's just karma.

Hey, but at least the big boobed woman gets free drinks! :icon_conf

Like I said though, all of those questions seem pretty common, despite people's lack of tact possibly in asking. I could see how it might get tiring, but it comes with the territory. I choose to have my day job at GNC, so I can't rightly bitch about the umpteen billion times I've had to explain to people that there isn't a single pill that'll make them slender, muscular, sexualy active, and get rid of their anxieties. I also choose to train, so I can't rightly complain about the umpteen times I get hit because I did something wrong or wayward.

That's just how it is when you make decisions. If you're going to bury your real reason, it's not fair to put the responsibility of that on those who shake the foundation of your beliefs.

Like I said though, all of those questions seem pretty common, despite people's lack of tact possibly in asking. I could see how it might get tiring, but it comes with the territory. I choose to have my day job at GNC, so I can't rightly bitch about the umpteen billion times I've had to explain to people that there isn't a single pill that'll make them slender, muscular, sexualy active, and get rid of their anxieties. I also choose to train, so I can't rightly complain about the umpteen times I get hit because I did something wrong or wayward.

That's just how it is when you make decisions. If you're going to bury your real reason, it's not fair to put the responsibility of that on those who shake the foundation of your beliefs.
Well said, I couldn't agree more. As I've mentioned before, I used to be a lot more outgoing in regards to being vegan. That being said, I now keep it to myself, but if it gets brought up, I'll explain my personal reasons for being vegan. I started it for ethical reasons. When doing it, I discovered I felt better, more energetic and lost weight. So I kept it up, and continue to research the diet. Even 11 years later, ha. On another note, I am not one of those vegans that says "Meat & Dairy is gross." I know God damn well that they both taste very good. The ethical reasons behind veganism definitely keep me in check.

I enjoy these civil, intelligent conversations much more than the insane and ignorant conversations/debates I've been in before. :- )

i know 2 poeple that turned vegan, both of them said they felt really really good after that first week hump. MY one buddy just switched back because he got more intense with weight lifting, he knew he needed the meat and everything.

you will probs lose a shit load of muscle and fat. My advice if u r into weight lifting and all that, dont do it.

Dude, Mustard SUX!

Dude, do you *not* understand the type of environmental impact the Ketchup industry has? How can you go to sleep at night without thinking of all the screams of those baby tomatoes getting mercilessly crushed by huge, unthinking machines?

I'm still waiting for a vegetarian to post a study showing how it is so much healthier. Hmmmm, yet I won't see one.

http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/health.html said:
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a series of papers32 describing the benefits of basing one’s diet on plant foods:

* High fruit and vegetable consumption is associated with a reduced risk for cardiovascular disease, several common cancers, and other chronic diseases (such as macular degeneration and cataracts).
* Legumes (e.g., beans, peas, lentils, and peanuts) are excellent sources of protein, fiber, and a variety of micronutrients and phytochemicals that may protect against disease.
* Regular consumption of nuts is linked with a lower risk for heart disease and lower mortality rates.
* Whole-grain consumption is associated with a reduced risk for heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and stomach and colon cancers.

This is a great example of the flawed nutritional logic of vegans. The website demonstrates why basing a diet on vegetable sources is a good thing. However, it fails to connects this with how it would be advantageous to eliminate all animal products and proteins from one's diet.

Back