Cutman Tales

Vidar79

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so due to my limited background in first-aid I have been asked to work cuts for some of our fighters. I am having a difficult time obtaining the coagulants allowed by our states boxing comission adrenaline,avatene and thrombine. Anyone know how to go about getting these? I'm going to ask the Doc that does all of the stitching for us. I guess.

https://www.facebook.com/cutmanyeoman/?ref=hl

if you all don't mind to give this a like.
i've got a card about 45 mins north of toronto this weekend. next weekend a card in rochester (a HUGE card, like 30 fights i believe) and the end of the month, another card just outside of toronto. but time of the year for me apparently

i ended up getting flagged at the border since i could not prove i wasn't being paid (i dealt with the promoter through facebook only). that was my own fault. but odd considering i've crossed the border in the past for the same purpose, and no one said a thing.
i worked a card just outside of toronto on friday night. wrapped eight guys. brought in a new way to wrap fighters hands. i've gone to using a premade pad for the knuckles and wrapping gauze between the knuckles. i've had several guys on that card that i've wrapped multiple times already and all of them said they loved the way i did it this time and the whole wrap felt more stable on the knuckles and didn't feel like it was moving around. takes a little longer, but worth it.
i have a card in london ontario saturday. i always liked this promoter.
but there's a bunch of drama occuring in the amateur scene in ontario. i'm trying to stay out of it, but i know eventually it's going to come ahead.

I swear I was going to do a thread on this tomorrow.

I believe you have to get it from a doctor. At least I know that adrenaline chloride is obtainable from a doc.

Here is an update. I talked to the nurse that worked at the walk in clinic that does our stitches. She acted like I asked her to score me some sweet black tar heroin. Obviously a no go. Put a call in to the boxing commision to try and find a Ringside doc that might be in the area. I could hear smoke coming out of her ears as she tried to figure out WTF I was asking her. Left number with her, to get an answer. 12 hours later....nothing

I'm going to move this to a more appropriate section, but yes it's absolutely terribly hard stuff to come by.

Did you check your State's website to find out which Doctors are employed by the Athletic Commission? Nevada's lists theirs and once you have the names, you can look them up pretty easy. When they hear you're a cut-man, they (The Doc) should be Worlds of assistance in this.

Here is an update. I talked to the nurse that worked at the walk in clinic that does our stitches. She acted like I asked her to score me some sweet black tar heroin. Obviously a no go. Put a call in to the boxing commision to try and find a Ringside doc that might be in the area. I could hear smoke coming out of her ears as she tried to figure out WTF I was asking her. Left number with her, to get an answer. 12 hours later....nothing

I had the same experience, but I expected it. LOL. I prefaced it with the fact that I'm an assistant coach that's basically an apprentice cutman but I still got weird looks.

Put the word out to a cutman for hire here was his response.

First of all I would like to thank you for checking out cutman4hire.com. The only medication that I use when a fighter is cut is adrenaline 1:1000. When I first started as a cutman I didnt have it available to me so I would use the Endswell (cold) and Pressure.... to take care of the bleeding, that usually takes care of the bleeding. Because Adrenaline is a prescibed medication it makes it hard to get but what has worked for me is staying consistant in the fight game by working many events and now I have become friends with many of the doctors and now I have access to the medications. If fight doctors see you around and know you are serious they will help you out.

Juan

So say Hi to the Ringside Physician :) I'm going to try and talk to one tonight at the weigh in. Although obviously getting a little late.

He gave good advice about the Endswell, just make sure it's ice cold and you apply enough pressure should your man get cut. If the cut isn't too deep, it should suffice for starting out.

I also want to do cut work, and one of Boxing's most renowned cutmen Rafael Garcia frequents the Gym I train at. But he's so old school that despite liking me when I told him I want to learn to do cuts he said "get some adrenaline, make yourself a proper cut kit, wait for someone in here to get cut, try to fix it."

Also, with the Endswell, remember to apply constant pressure and don't try to move a mouse around as you can end up doing a disservice to the fighter.

New update ***

At the weigh in I decided to make my way over to the ringside official and introduce myself. The Doc apparently trains in BJJ and had a ton of respect for my Gym and it's grappling pedigree. When I asked her about the Epi/Adrenaline she was kind of curious how a lot of cutman get it "They just do" she said. She pulled over another official and asked him. Same response not sure how they get it they just do. After talking with the Doc for a while about our gym she reaches in her bag and hands me 30CC Epi 1:1000!! I told her thanks and she said "not to mention it" as in seriously don't f&@king mention it . She quite possibly could have just given me the opportunity to help my guys in a huge way. On that note *** All contents of this post are for educational purposes only. Do not try to obtain any prescription medications without a check up by a physician and proper prescription.***

You are correct about the endswell. The guy who worked the cuts before tried to give me some "helpfull" advice about how to properly push a hematoma away from the eye. I have seen enough boxing cutman use the endswell as a tool of destruction. I shook my head up and down then immediatelly disregarded the information as fast as humanly possible. Don't forget to put a thin layer of Vaseline on the working end of the endswell. Warm Skin+Cold ****l=Oouch WTF!?! Thanks for the advice guys. Fight is tonight so I will keep you updated.

Wanted to get a debrief from all the guys before I posted. Fights went ok. First fight I didn't corner. It was called by the ref in the second because our fighter did not respond after being told to improve. It was hard for him to give a thumbs up with both hands defending a RNC. It was an odd stoppage and if it gets put on youtube I will link it. He fought well being it was his first fight and was against a very experienced guy. Second fight went better. Our guy dominated on his feet. Went to the ground our guy on top couple transitions with him being mounted took a couple very solid shots swept to guard and ended the fight with KO. I was proud that he had the power to finish the fight with only 15secs left. Didn't have any cuts luckily just a nosebleed which was easily taken care off with a swab and pressure. Third fight was a little tougher our guy took a knee which ended the fight and opened up a cut under the eye which needed stitches. However the adrenaline worked wonders and if the fight did go to a third round I doubt the cut would have come into play. I have to say the epi/adrenaline was amazing after about 45 seconds applied with pressure and endswell on the swelling below the eye pretty much stopped the bleeding in it's tracks. It was a nerve wracking experience and learned a ton.

Good job Bro. You done cutmen proud!

Thanks a ton guys. Like I said it was a learning experience. If anyone wants to be a cutman you must understand it is not a glorious role. It is stressfull and you better be on your game and understand the fighter your working with. Make sure to ask if they have had any cuts previously and where. Pay special attention to those spots when getting them ready before they step in the cage. The officals might rush you when applying vaseline to your guy. Do not let them....he's your guy take your time and hit all the spots that both you and he agreed on before the walkout. Some like vaseline in the nostrils others don't etc. You have a huge responsibilty and if a fighter knows they have a guy looking after them in there that is one less thing they need to worrry about. Do it for the fighter and not for some BS pride reason and listen and learn from all the vets. I can't wait for an opportunity to work the corner again. It was thrilling and nerve wracking all at once. Sinister was right keep your kit on you at the gym if someone gets cut try and work it at the gym. You can never work to many cuts. you always learn new stuff. Again thanks for the advice guys.

great thread,and thank you for your advice Vidar79!!

Styptic pencils or Silver Nitrate sticks stop bleeding in minor cuts. They look like white crayons. They wont save you from a split vessel or gaping hole reaching down to the bone but it works well:

http://ask.****filter.com/9796/Nicked-Bump-Near-My-Lip-While-Shaving-And-the-Bloods-Not-Coagulating

As far as I know these are not allowed in fights. Even the OTC nosebleed stuff was yanked from my bag. Better go online to make sure. To my knowledge all that is allowed is Adrenaline 1:1000, Avatene and Thrombin. In mma matches I think the need for Thrombin might not come into play. Dude....talk to a Ringside Doc and do your best to get it. One word AMAZING. If it's a chic Doc wear tight jeans to accentuate ye'ol bulge know what I mean?. :p

and thaks for the kind words guys. We all gotta learn together this is a growing sport and cutmen who really want to get better and care about their guys are in high demand. You guys rock!

Vidar, I'm going to alter this thread a bit tomorrow because it's turned into such good information. I won't alter your opening post at all, just the Title of the thread, and will add some more information of my own.

You'll like it, a corner REALLY fucked up recently in a very high profile Boxing match and I'm going to do my best to explain how.

This is becoming one of my favorite threads. Really interesting stuff here.

Back