The Old That is Strong does not Wither - Log of Disco

Disco

Tougher on the internet
@Blue
Reaction score
So I am starting this because I had such a setback recently I want to get it all down.

I've done BJJ/MMA for a few years but get injured a bit, I have a very skinny body, for the most part I was 187cm 69kg (6 foot 2, 152 lbs) but when I moved to a new town with no MMA I decided to spend some time in the weights room.

My long term goal really is to make myself as injury/sore proof as possible. Sure, strength, flexibility, endurance, size, and appearance are all bonuses that I hope to achieve, but mostly, I want to be able to roll for and hour and a half and be able to do the same the next day.

My real long term goals is to do the 1000lbs total for my bench, dead, squat although I left in kilos, and to walk around at 90-100kg depending on how my body shapes up.

That being said, a few of the boxers like myself are getting together to do some wrestling, but nothing like the few hours a day I used to put in.

Anyway I am eating loads, read starting strength, whey shakes and all that.

So my starting workout while I'm a newb with not much equipment is:

(bar = 15, bar on OHP = 20)

warm up, bike 5mins, rowing machine 5mins, run 5-10mins
some push ups, squats (no weight) and bench with just the bar

A
- Bench 3 x 6 @ 35kg
- OHP 3 x 6 @ 30kg

B
- Front Squat 3 x 6 @ 35kg
- Deadlift 2 x 6 @ 45kg

C
- Pull ups, well lowering myself down since I cant do them. Also they arent real pull ups so much as the underside of my arms are facing each other, weird machine.
- Bicept curls, both at same time, 3 x 8 @ 10kg each hand and some sit ups

Mix one of a, b and c.

Have done this for a few weeks and was already making gains. However I just got really sick and spent about 10 days out of the gym and 2 in some sort of couch delirium where I couldn't understand what was on TV. Feeling great now, did some light cardio for a few days and yesterday hit the weights for the first time. HORRIBLE. I just managed my starting numbers and even then I am so sore today that I wont be in the gym tomorrow.

Of course this happens, but I am not quitting. I am treating the few months beforehand as my practice session, now it gets serious. Although I am 75kg now (6kg of what I assume is fat... the other day I wore my shorts without a belt and didn't notice \o/).

Anyway, this is the start.

Thursday 8th October
Warm up
Bench 4 x 6 @ 35kg
Front Squats 3 x 6 @ 35kg
Pull up 3 x 10*

Light boxing later on for 30 mins

Friday 9th October - very sore
Boxing and instructional wrestling
Nearly died in the warm up and my quads were on fire with all the running backwards I did. I didn't say anything though and just taught some of the guys some throws and didn't wrestler or anything.

Onwards and upwards!

Sat 10th October nothing too sore, went out drinking, Sunday just 18 holes of golf (buggy) and beers all day.

Back into things Monday 12th.
warm up
2 x 6 Deadlift at 45kg
3 x 6 OHP at 30 kg although quit with a few to go as back was feeling it
Bi Curls twin 3 x 8 curls at 10kg
30 sit ups on ball

I think I need to stick to bench when I deadlift and OHP when I squat as it will mix up the stress on the back. But then I wanted to increase my OHP for a while as rip says my shoulders need to catch up with the rest of my upper body.

Spent hour and a half at boxing that night, just holding pads and helping out.

tues 13th october, a bit sore from weights and i couldn't make training, so i shot the basketball around for an hour and a half to get everything nice and loose for tomorrow. probably should of had a light swim but got on a roll with some study i'm doing so skipped it

Good luck on startig out again.
Btw, interesting goal you set for yourself. I frankly could never roll for 1.30hrs straight and then expect to be able to do it the next day.
Where did you use to fight?

Good luck on startig out again.
Btw, interesting goal you set for yourself. I frankly could never roll for 1.30hrs straight and then expect to be able to do it the next day.
Where did you use to fight?

Cheers. I used to train down in Melbourne, Australia. I don't think the goal is too unrealistic, it was me remembering one time we were short an instructor. One of the senior guys suggested light rolling to warm up, I think he planned on taking the class, but we hadn't rolled in a while, and one thing led to another and the class just rolled for the 45 minute shoot class, and continued on for the BJJ class. The senior guys backed it up easy the next day, most of the guys took it light the next day, but I couldn't make class for a week.

Cheers. I used to train down in Melbourne, Australia. I don't think the goal is too unrealistic, it was me remembering one time we were short an instructor. One of the senior guys suggested light rolling to warm up, I think he planned on taking the class, but we hadn't rolled in a while, and one thing led to another and the class just rolled for the 45 minute shoot class, and continued on for the BJJ class. The senior guys backed it up easy the next day, most of the guys took it light the next day, but I couldn't make class for a week.

Yes, here in Japan there`s no idea of going "easy" - that`s unless I train with amateurs and i can dictate the pace. Otherwise it`s always a fight and doing more than 7-8 rounds a day is a sure fire way to get a cold or burn out by the end of the week. That being said, focussing on conditioning more than strenght is a must if you want to be able to grapple for longer.

Wednesday was horrible, I slept badly and felt crap and had heaps to do. My back was fine after the deadlifts but my hammys were knackered. I stretched a bit but did nothing else, should have gone for a light swim.

Today Thursday the 15th Oct
Warm up
3 x 6 OHP @ 30kg
3 x 6 Front Squat @ 35kg
'Chin downs' 3 x 6

My first front squat was all over the place and my knee cracked loudly, but from there I blitzed it, considered adding more weight to the last set but my hammys were a bit tight so I'd rather get it done with the hope that I'll feel good for Saturday.

welcome to the logs

That being said, focussing on conditioning more than strenght is a must if you want to be able to grapple for longer.

Not a question of being able to, I did on the day, it is more that my muscles are so weak that I couldn't get back in the gym for a week. I understand what you're saying about conditioning, and I do a bit of that too, but consider that I train MMA and according to these tables:
Weightlifting Performance Standards

I don't have the minimum strength to enjoy a normal standard of life, haha. Basically I need it all.

Friday 16th, feel great. Will hit weights tomorrow. Shot basketball around for hour. Thinking about a run tonight, havent had one in a while, but if I go I may be too sore for gym tomorrow morn. Hmmm.

Sorry dude I wasn't trying to be insulting. For some reason I thought you might be from somewhere else.

Smashed it yesterday but sickness setback is being overcome rapidly as I dared to dream.

Warm up
Bench 1x6 at 35kg
Bench 2x6 at 45kg
Deadlift 2 x 6 at 45kg
1 x 6 Chin downs
2 x 8 Bicept Curls at 10kg and 30 sit ups

I bailed on the chin downs because some hot chicks walked in. Now I don't mind doing front squats and having people look at me weird, or warming up on the bench with no weights on the bar and getting stares like 'that wont build muscle' but I can't help but be embarrassed about my inability to do a single chin up and the way I need to jump to do them then resist down... haha.

BOOYAH!

*ahem* well anyway smashed my 5km run yesterday and seem to go very well at a job inteview this morning. So when I hit the gym today I decided to up the ante on my front squats.

Warm up
Front Squats 3 x 6 at 40kg
OHP 2 x 6 at 30kg
OHP 1 x 6 at 35kg
Pull up things 3 x 6

So that was 5kg more than I used to for front squats, and damn was my form smooth. The last set were a struggle but what do you expect. My flexibility in the arms is still a bit of an issue, but hopefully it is getting there. And I did my OPH so well I put on a bit in the last set.

The gains that I made before that sickness wiped me out seem to be back so all is well in the gym front. Plus if I feel good tomorrow I might get to lift for the third time in a week for first time since I started. So recovery is getting better to.

edit: i weighed myself this morning and i was 79kg... wtf? that seems wrong, will do it again tomorrow and see.

10kg weight gain in like 2 weeks seems pretty extreme unless you've been eating like a beast, and given you've been sick during that time too it's probably wrong.

Is there any reason you don't do normal squats as well as front squats?

10kg weight gain in like 2 weeks seems pretty extreme unless you've been eating like a beast, and given you've been sick during that time too it's probably wrong.

Is there any reason you don't do normal squats as well as front squats?

Weighed myself today and I was 80kg. I think I am going to cut out the morning shakes, only do one PWO.

It is fast weight gain although keep in mind I was 69kg at the peak of my training last year I was 75kg when I started this log. That tidbit is a bit lower on my original post.

I do front squats because my gym (only one in town) doesn't have a squat cage/power rack. BUT a new one is opening up soon.

Boxing today but no one showed up, the mundine fight was last night I think the boys went out. Played 2 on 2 warm up bball with some guys but it turned a tad competitive and I got a work out. Bag work for 20 mins, got bored, ran around the oval, did some sprints, went home.

Weighed myself today and I was 80kg. I think I am going to cut out the morning shakes, only do one PWO.

It is fast weight gain although keep in mind I was 69kg at the peak of my training last year I was 75kg when I started this log. That tidbit is a bit lower on my original post.

I do front squats because my gym (only one in town) doesn't have a squat cage/power rack. BUT a new one is opening up soon.
Ah that's not such a big gain then, I wouldn't start cutting out calories because of it. If your protein shakes are just plain whey protein they won't have many calories anyway.

That sucks about the power racks, but at least you're making the best of it by doing front squats. Hope the new gym has some racks when it opens.

Good luck with the training.

Back