Grappling FAQ + Online Resources - *Read First*

I followed #20 (about cutting weight) pretty closely before my last BJJ tournament. I lost about 12 pounds in one month, and made my weight class without any trouble. Thanks for the tips!

Note about gi colors -- Saulo and Xande's UniJJ requires blue or white gi only as well, but patches are allowed (and in fact, Saulo has said he expects people to wear patches, in the middle of their back, showing their school affiliation since it is 'wearing your team's flag', and seeing that tells him and others a lot about you without ever talking to you)

18 (finishing triangle choke) has been removed!

if it gets re-upped please PM

thanks

questions about gis come up almost every day maybe add those to the list

I love this thread! Thanks guys for the post!

Koka hasn't been used to score judo according to IJF rules since 2009.

You can also win by referees' decision (hantei) if there are no scores on the board for either judoka (centre referee and corner referees simultaneously raise flags to indicate whether they think the blue or white contestant won).

Is saulo's "Encyclopedia of Jiu-Jitsu" a different book from his "Jiu-Jitsu University"?

Not sure where to ask this. Mods, please move if this is not in the right place.

Wondering why F12 doesn't have a Training Log subforum. F13 and F15 have one, and I see no reason why F12 shouldn't have one. Keeping a log for Grappling is just as important as a log for Strength or whatever else.

2. What's the difference between Judo and BJJ?

The techniques are the same. The gi is similar.*

I dont agree, of course most movements u find in BJJ u can find in Judo, after all both are Grappling and BJJ has its roots on Judo, but still there are techniques u only will do in BJJ, eg pull to the guard is typical BJJ move, berimbolo, guards like X, 50/50, de la riva, inverse de la riva... saying its the same techniques is kind like to say Boxing and Muay Thai has the same technique. We know both fights has uper cuts, hooks, etc... but muay thai has lot more than this.

Last edited:
I've already deleted four threads with links to that recent home invasion video that's been getting a lot of news play, but nobody seems to be taking the hint, so I figured I should state things in no uncertain terms for everybody here. Footage like that, including street fights and other random acts of violence caught on film and morbidly circulated ad nauseam, shouldn't be posted here. It has long been and still is Sherdog policy, and we ask that you remember that.

Thanks.

Hi guys, what is the process to making a thread and getting it as a sticky (ie stuck in the top ) for a few days? I ask because I will be attending the UAEJJ Ramadan Cup no-gi competition.

I will be taking a video camera down and putting stuff up on YouTube as well as taking my DSLR down with me to take a bunch of photos, I will be posting it mainly to my tumblr but I thought if enough interest I could put it up in here too? Maybe some love for a week to keep it as a sticky for a week or so?

If so who would I need to msg about this?

Details for the comp are

UAEJJ said:
The event will take place at AL MAQTAA SPORT HALL and will be on July 27th.

Al Maqtaa Sport Hall
AFOC

Back