Why BJJ is so expensive

We just got to wait till IBJJF turns BJJ non-profit like Judo...

We just got to wait till IBJJF turns BJJ non-profit like Judo...

Are you suggesting that the IJF turn Judo into a non profit sport?

Are you saying that the IBJJF can turn BJJ into a non profit sport?

What is the going rate for adult TKD or TMA per month? I have no idea.

Well, unless they're trying to scam you, the highest it'll usually run you is about $60 a month, and that's pushing it. I'm not even talking about a legitimate, hard knocks karate school that'll make you tough as nails, just a regular one down the street that isn't completely fake.

Thanks for that advice. Do I have the right to post my opinions in a thread about the topic being discussed? Or should I just nod and look pretty?

you have a right to post your opinions just like i have a right to post mine. I don't think that martial arts instructors having the ability to provide from themselves and their family in a stable manner is a bad thing. Some people want non-profit schools where the instructor donates his time and that is fine. But for me, i would want the instructor to provide for his family while teaching something that i enjoy learning. But hey that's just me. I believe that having instructors that make a stable living teaching martial arts is good for the martial art. maybe some don't.

Are you suggesting that the IJF turn Judo into a non profit sport?

Are you saying that the IBJJF can turn BJJ into a non profit sport?

Yes. IJF and their countries national run organization and IOC is the reason why it turn non-profit.

Yes. IJF and their countries national run organization and IOC is the reason why it turn non-profit.

I still don't see how a non profit organisation can turn a sport into non profit.

IJF is non profit.

Judo clubs are run by volunteers most of the time but it has nothing to do with the IJF.

The IJF is not going around telling their members that they cannot teach Judo for a profit or make a living of it.

Because Judo is taught by volunteers is the reason why it would difficult for a judo instructot to ask for higher fees in order to make a living of it.

The other gym in my area charges 300 dollars a month. 2 brown belts run the racket, er um "gym"

Same price for their kids program too.

Hey ducky, did you miss the thread title? I didn't make the thread, but I did come in here to share my thoughts. Evidently, there are a few people who agree with me, too.

To extend the metaphor, it's as if this thread were titled, "Why are cars so expensive?" And I'm just here to point on that they don't have to be. Because that's the kind of guy I am. An amazing human being.

Yeah, I've heard cars a ridiculously expensive down there.

its not just that they are expensive, 500$ is waaaaay more for us than for you guys... 500$ a month is the minimun wage down here just to give you an idea...

I still don't see how a non profit organisation can turn a sport into non profit.

IJF is non profit.

Judo clubs are run by volunteers most of the time but it has nothing to do with the IJF.

The IJF is not going around telling their members that they cannot teach Judo for a profit or make a living of it.

Because Judo is taught by volunteers is the reason why it would difficult for a judo instructot to ask for higher fees in order to make a living of it.

Actually all Judo clubs that compete has a relationship to IJF as they are the one who recognizes your rank. They don't do it for free either, the head coach that is. The black belts come in and teaches for free but inexchange for free training partners where as the headcoach gets most of the benefits, they also make money off of competition t-shirts and such as most MMA schools and BJJ schools REQUIRES you to buy.

here in brazil I pay R$ 70 per month, about U$ 35. classes every weekday, one hour and a half on mondays, wednesday and fridays, 1 hour on tuesday and thursday.

our professor is a really nice guy, black belt with about 20 years of jiu-jitsu, he is very helpful and positive. a curious fact about him, he is from fadda lineage, no gracies between him and mitsuyo maeda.

the gym is really simple but is a really friendly place. my training partners are all nice people. on my class ages from 13 to 50+. we have people doing jiu-jitsu for fun and top competitors. we are affiliate to gf team, our best competitor use to train with rodolfo vieira and other guys on gf team headquarter which is on the same neighborhood.

i don't think is expensive, but still a rich kids (or medium class kids at least) sport here in brazil. poor kids only do soccer.

The judo club I was a part of growing up was cheap, competitive, and HUGE (we had over 300 active members at one point).

It functioned with a head instructor who was retired and living on a military pension and then a ton of volunteer black belts under him.

We would run bake sales and celebrity clinics (judo celebrities, like Jason Morris I think it was, the guy from the US who took silver or bronze in 1992 olympics) to raise money for new mats and such, and overhead was extremely low because we had several blackbelts who owned fullsized vans which they would use to bring our mats to a public gym (often a public middle or high school).

I can't even begin to imagine how expensive it would be if the club was paying commercial rent for a facility that size (especially when on a given week night our club could be running classes at 2-3 gyms at once in the same county) plus the salaries of all the instructors.

It's just a completely different model.

its not just that they are expensive, 500$ is waaaaay more for us than for you guys... 500$ a month is the minimun wage down here just to give you an idea...

here in brazil I pay R$ 70 per month, about U$ 35. classes every weekday, one hour and a half on mondays, wednesday and fridays, 1 hour on tuesday and thursday.

our professor is a really nice guy, black belt with about 20 years of jiu-jitsu, he is very helpful and positive. a curious fact about him, he is from fadda lineage, no gracies between him and mitsuyo maeda.

the gym is really simple but is a really friendly place. my training partners are all nice people. on my class ages from 13 to 50+. we have people doing jiu-jitsu for fun and top competitors. we are affiliate to gf team, our best competitor use to train with rodolfo vieira and other guys on gf team headquarter which is on the same neighborhood.

i don't think is expensive, but still a rich kids (or medium class kids at least) sport here in brazil. poor kids only do soccer.
So, to sum up, if you live in Brazil, you'll probably be able to afford good jiu-jitsu instruction, but you won't be able to afford a car to get there.

So, to sum up, if you live in Brazil, you'll probably be able to afford good jiu-jitsu instruction, but you won't be able to afford a car to get there.

haha yes! jiu-jitsu is not expensive only because its brazilian jiu-jitsu, we have a lot of good black belts and gyms every corner. cars are really expensive here and public transportation is terrible.

at least, i don't need a car to go to gym. ;)

IJF is non profit.

lets not act like Private judo gyms don't exist. They exist in Korea, japan, ect.

well I dont live in brazil, I live in Paraguay, but its kind of the same, I guess to have access to a car you need to be middle class or high low (crappy car)...

bjj is abour 30 $ here, but we dont get world champions coming down here to teach, instruction as a matter of fact is very poor in general.

haha yes! jiu-jitsu is not expensive only because its brazilian jiu-jitsu, we have a lot of good black belts and gyms every corner. cars are really expensive here and public transportation is terrible.

at least, i don't need a car to go to gym. ;)

come down to Asuncion bro, here you'll know what atrocious public transportation is like.

As long as people are willing to pay the prices, they won't come down. If it becomes out of people's price ranges, then people won't sign up, and the prices will come down. Eventually it balances out to the point where the schools charge the maximum amount they can without driving people away. And that's how a market works. If demand drops or availability continues to increase, prices will come down.

There is no doubt that running a school requires a major investment with many fixed and variable costs. However, adjustments can and should be made where appropriate. Discounts for seniors and those of low income(with proper proof) would be a good start as well as discounts for those who walk or take transit to the facility as they are not adding to the rental or maintenance cost of the parking lot. But a bigger issue is tourneys who make participation for many financially impossible. Allowing low income discounts (with proper proof) would actually increase participation and revenue and make the sport more inclusive to all.

I've posted this before but I'll add it here as well.

My school is run by a 2nd degree Renzo Black Belt who was also a Division 1 NCAA wrestler at a perennial top 10 program. We have 2 locations in a metropolitan area. They offer BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA, and strength and conditioning classes 7 days a week. I'd venture to say we have at least 200 active members between the 2 locations and you can bounce back and forth between the 2 if it fits your schedule better. I pay $70-75 a month for BJJ classes. A lot of you are getting fucked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back