Guide to Being a Cornerman

Stitch is the best... that video in "Cutman Tales" was not only an insite to how he works but the kinda guy he is

Just a heads up guys, I will be editing one of my prior posts in the beginning of this thread to cover Cotton Swabs and how to make your own. Well, not so much make your own but make the ones you have better suited. With pictures!

Awesome thread! I will be cornering one of my guys for the first time in two weeks and I have been looking everywhere I can and talking to lots of other coaches on what I need to do to be the best trainer/cornerman possible for my fighter!

just a couple of tips

in my pockets I always have a role of 1 inch tape, scissors, a extra mouth peace and a towel usually stuck in my pocket. My helper, he puttso ut the stool and will sometimes handle the water bottle. but during the round, i'm also telling my second what needs to be done, so when were on the 1 minute break, I don't forget.

oin the no sweel, you can have that in some ice, or on your ice pack, some stiles you can put ice in the no swell. But what you want to do is take some vaseling and put on the swell, so your not applying ice cold metal onto your fighters skin. You do that and your no swell sticks to the skin and you tear your fighters skinn.

alot of times I put a dab of vasseling on the back of my hand, just in case I need to put more grease above or below the eyes.

if you have a cut, the first thing you'll want to do, is put pressure on it. So when your fighter is in the corner, to a quick whipe down and then put pressur on the cut.

If you have swelling, same thing, take your towel, wipe your fighter down and then put that no swell on there. Sometimes you see cornerman muscling that no swell, looks like there tryiong to pop the swollen part. And thats not what your trying to do. If your putting that much pressure, your probably hurting your fighter. Your trying to let the cold mainting or decreasing the swelling.

holy hell dude you know your shit. my good buddy is starting a mma career and since i have a paper nose and cant follow him into the cage ive been looking at cornering him and your posts will certainly help

what would you do if your fighter dislocated their shoulder? put it straight back in and try and let them continue or get them straight to a doctor?

Hey y'all...

I watched Stitch's video, and while it was cool to see him work, it wasn't super informative. IT seemed more like a commecial for a video, rather than an actual instructional.

I did however purchase Brad Daddis' vid, and I got to say, I'm very impressed. He goes into everything step by step and explains every little bit. My only complaint would be that the quality of the video is kinda low (not HD), but that's fairly minor.

Anyhow, Daddis gives out a lot of great tips on his Muay Thai Tip o the Week for free, so the $12 for this video is well worth it.

If you're interested, it's HERE.

The post made on corner tips is a great effort to give those with zero idea of what is needed to help their fighter in the cage. My hope is that someone in that situation would not simply take such tips and run with them as particularly with fighter injury and related medical issues (cuts, swelling, etc), it should not be handled by those without proper training. The sport is trying to increase on a growing position reputation, and random attempts at medical treatment won't help the cause or the fighter.

Some of the things that are misconception include water use (your fighter is not going to likely dehydrate, and certainly won't avoid that with a sip of water during a 45 second intermission), ice use (there are specific locations where it is best applied, and the back of the neck is not the first choice even though it is seen often during fights), and enswell use (that is an art in itself and can easily be misused). Prescription medications are limited in that way for a reason, they can be used improperly and cause injury, so I hope corners won't try and access it illegally if they aren't trained and knowledgeable about pharmacology. Unfortunately many cutmen in the world aren't either.

Despite that, if promoters know that cutmen are wanted at fights, they few out there can better be present to help at shows. And hopefully all of us want to improve, including corners and coaches. Feel free to contact me as I offer such courses throughout the region and the country to educate and inform. I can be found at MMA Cutman David Maldonado: Complete Cutman David Maldonado

Be safe!

Stitch is awesome... i smoked a cig with him at UFC on versus live three.. good guy
EDIT: u dont believe me i dont care.. lol

I had the pleasure of cornering a couple training partners the same night as UFC 159. First time.

Loved every second of it. It was surprisingly easy once the initial jitters left me. I think I've seen so many fights now, I just automatically jumped in there and did what I've seen cornermen do for years.

Wish I had seen this thread before doing it though.

Back