What does The War Room consist of mostly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admitted Obama is a great campaigner and that the Dems ran the right guy at the right time. But you don't need to try to feed me your Kool Aid, bro. I get that you actually believe that when the D's do it, it's strategy, and when the R's do it, it's gimmick. That's not a ringing endorsement of your powers of perception or your ability to look at things objectively.

What? When did this this become a vitriolic exchange?

What I said should be pretty apparent to anyone who wasn't oblivious to the 2008 political environment and the parties' respective stables: it wasn't a partisan statement in the least. If simply running a black man was the way to win the West, it would have been done long ago. Obama was the best guy regardless of race. Was Palin the best VP candidate regardless of demographic preferences? No, of course not. Therefore, only one could be branded a gimmick.

I don't think you understand things quite as rationally as you may believe considering you got pissy at the mere mention of the (objective) fact that Obama was our best guy regardless of demographic considerations and that Palin was not your best VP candidate. If this simple statement comes off as anything but a simple fact, you're just not very bright. And here I was thinking you had actually graduated to rational thought.

What? When did this this become a vitriolic exchange?

What I said should be pretty apparent to anyone who wasn't oblivious to the 2008 political environment and the parties' respective stables: it wasn't a partisan statement in the least. If simply running a black man was the way to win the West, it would have been done long ago. Obama was the best guy regardless of race. Was Palin the best VP candidate regardless of demographic preferences? No, of course not. Therefore, only one could be branded a gimmick.

I don't think you understand things quite as rationally as you may believe considering you got pissy at the mere mention of the (objective) fact that Obama was our best guy regardless of demographic considerations and that Palin was not your best candidate. If this simple statement comes off as anything but a simple fact, you're just . And here I was thinking you had actually graduated to rational thought.

Again, my point is that the perception the R's have trouble shaking is that they have to run an old white guy or it's manipulative. This is fostered by the media and by shills for political purposes very effectively. If you believe what the media feeds you, you shouldn't try calling anyone "not very bright." If you're just a shill, well have at it, that seems to be what this room's for.

And don't mistake great campaigner for "best guy". Obama's a train wreck at the job itself.

When the Republicans ran Sarah Palin as potential VP, it came off as completely "manipulative" (gonna use your word here) because she seemed, by all accounts, interviews, ect., to be a terrible choice for the position, and one made solely for the purpose of attempting to generate interest for McCain's campaign. His whole campaign was like that, didn't he have an equally failed attempt to start his own little slogan, 'The Mac's Back!' or somesuch?

The Republicans could certainly run a woman or a Korean or a Budhist and it could be legit, but the current example of Palin isn't that. It was a throwaway strategy in a campaign that pretty much tried every interest generating idea it could come up with (isn't that also the Campaign that latched onto Mike the Plmuber and nicknames from Top Gun?).

Again, my point is that the perception the R's have trouble shaking is that they have to run an old white guy or it's manipulative. This is fostered by the media and by shills for political purposes very effectively. If you believe what the media feeds you, you shouldn't try calling anyone "not very bright." If you're just a shill, well have at it, that seems to be what this room's for.

And don't mistake great campaigner for "best guy". Obama's a train wreck at the job itself.

And, once again, your need to be adversarial blocks your understanding.

I don't think that anyone would say the Republicans running a white guy is some super savvy form of manipulation-- it's what both parties had done for the entirety of their existence until 2008. Surely you understand that. I don't know how anyone could possibly be under the impression that the Republican go-to is "let's get a white guy," when it has become apparent that they have been pushing to vet minority candidates like Rubio (who, let's face it, would otherwise be out of contention). It would seem that you are politically illiterate at this point.

Regarding your assessment of Obama, I'm not going to get into it. He's not the greatest president we've ever had, but he's been very capable at his job, and this has been established over and over again in this forum. If you haven't accepted it by now, then you never will. Even Lucas, a guy who has branded himself as the foremost Obama-hater Guy, who borders on trolling in his persona, doesn't say that.

By the way, lol at you insinuating that I (or anyone else) is a "shill" and then saying that Obama is a "train wreck" at his job. It would seem that you side with the polling majority: you know, the one that has been bought out by ridiculously fanatical news reporting and corporate considerations.

When the Republicans ran Sarah Palin as potential VP, it came off as completely "manipulative" (gonna use your word here) because she seemed, by all accounts, interviews, ect., to be a terrible choice for the position, and one made solely for the purpose of attempting to generate interest for McCain's campaign. His whole campaign was like that, didn't he have an equally failed attempt to start his own little slogan, 'The Mac's Back!' or somesuch?

The Republicans could certainly run a woman or a Korean or a Budhist and it could be legit, but the current example of Palin isn't that. It was a throwaway strategy in a campaign that pretty much tried every interest generating idea it could come up with (isn't that also the Campaign that latched onto Mike the Plmuber and nicknames from Top Gun?).

lol what a libtard analysis. You're a shill.

Actually I'm a Canadian :)

Fat chance, Obamafan. I mean, it's not like there's any chance you're just an objective observer who doesn't even have a horse in the discussion and can thus speak with a higher supposed level of impartiality. That's way less likely.

I agree. I don't think that Obama's winning says the electorate has moved left. He was a guy in the right place at the right time, and he's a hell of a campaigner. And he appealed to the youth, and him getting nearly 100% of the black vote plus unprecedented black voter turnout was a no-brainer. If the Republicans were smart, they'd run a Hispanic woman in '16.

I don't think nominating a Hispanic women is going trick people into voting against their own interests. Maybe if they were smart they'd come up with some policies that benefit the poor and middle class. I don't think they need to pander to women or latinos so much as they need to stop being overtly hostile and offensive towards them.

And, once again, your need to be adversarial blocks your understanding.

I don't think that anyone would say the Republicans running a white guy is some super savvy form of manipulation-- it's what both parties had done for the entirety of their existence until 2008. Surely you understand that. I don't know how anyone could possibly be under the impression that the Republican go-to is "let's get a white guy," when it has become apparent that they have been pushing to vet minority candidates like Rubio (who, let's face it, would otherwise be out of contention). It would seem that you are politically illiterate at this point.

Regarding your assessment of Obama, I'm not going to get into it. He's not the greatest president we've ever had, but he's been very capable at his job, and this has been established over and over again in this forum. If you haven't accepted it by now, then you never will. Even Lucas, a guy who has branded himself as the foremost Obama-hater Guy, who borders on trolling in his persona, doesn't say that.

By the way, lol at you insinuating that I (or anyone else) is a "shill" and then saying that Obama is a "train wreck" at his job. It would seem that you side with the polling majority: you know, the one that has been bought out by ridiculously fanatical news reporting and corporate considerations.

Amongst the pollsters who show Obama underwater are Gallup, NBC news, and the AP. Hardly fanatical right-wingers. And I've never seen a compelling argument in here that Obama's job positives outweigh the negatives -- which could also explain why every poll has his job approval in the negatives.

Honestly, if you want to go about calling people "not very bright" and then boo-hooing that they're "adversarial" in response, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe where you're from, insulting people's intelligence isn't adversarial? Whatever.

I've admitted that the D's have the edge in campaigning finesse and the backing of popular media. It's an uphill battle for the R's to field any candidate at this point, since another old rich white guy just gets reviled and anyone else is spun by the left as a manipulation. It's a good bit of propaganda, and I hope you Dems have the sense to ride it out as long as you can. Once people catch on, you will lose again.

I don't think nominating a Hispanic women is going trick people into voting against their own interests. Maybe if they were smart they'd come up with some policies that benefit the poor and middle class. I don't think they need to pander to women or latinos so much as they need to stop being overtly hostile and offensive towards them.

It's a little tough when the media and the administration spins something like enforcing current laws as hostile to latinos. And yes, the R's need to talk about getting Americans back to work, and exposing the truth about what Obama's policies have done for the rich and to the middle class. But again, here comes another election cycle I'm just dreading. Especially hearing Hillary's grating, harping tone. I actually understand why Bill's gone wandering rather than listen to that all the time.

Yes I'll take the actual words of the hundreds of blacks I have talke to in all walks of life over an immigrant Hispanic/black lawyer.

I hate to get into this but an immigrant with heritage from Panama and Jamaica is not really who most people think of as black in American society.

OHHH shit the liberals heads are gonna blow off, yep I said it. Pan would not be considered or thought of as a typical American black.

You type some of the most insulting things I've read in quite a while. An immigrant Hispanic/black lawyer.

I was born here. I'm not an immigrant. Jesus, do you not see how ignorant you're coming across?

And I don't care what you think of as black in American society. The whole point is that what you claim is black in American society is wrong. It's harshly limited by your failure to expose yourself to the full range of black society.

You're not black but you think that talking to the narrow group of blacks you stumble across gives you greater insight into black culture than someone who actually is black and lives life as a black American. Why? Because my perspective doesn't reinforce the stereotypes you'd prefer to believe.

You prefer the narrative that black families don't promote education to their kids or that they expect and/or condone cheating. You prefer it to the narrative that some black people have shitty lives and some black people excel. That some like hip hop and some like country. That some barely get out of high school and some are Ivy League graduates.

The whole point of this lengthy, and sad discourse, is that black culture is far broader than the ghetto or urban life. For example: Have you ever spoken with someone from Jack and Jill? How many former sharecroppers do you know? Have you spoken with middle class black Americans in the Northwest? Rich black Americans in the South? Have you lived in wealthy black neighborhoods? Middle class ones? So forth and so on.

You don't know black America. You don't live it. You don't interact with it at the highest and the lowest levels. A handful of random conversations does not an expert make. Even if we just wanted to talk numbers, I'm pretty sure I've spoken with far more black people than you. This thread really should have been an opportunity for you to recognize the limits of your knowledge and shortcomings of your expectations. Instead, you've chosen to double down on ignorance.

It's a little tough when the media and the administration spins something like enforcing current laws as hostile to latinos. And yes, the R's need to talk about getting Americans back to work, and exposing the truth about what Obama's policies have done for the rich and to the middle class. But again, here comes another election cycle I'm just dreading. Especially hearing Hillary's grating, harping tone. I actually understand why Bill's gone wandering rather than listen to that all the time.

Another thing they could do is stop blaming all their electoral failures on the media. They purposely cultivate an adversarial relationship with the media in order to feed into the siege mentality of their base.

Another thing they could do is stop blaming all their electoral failures on the media. They purposely cultivate an adversarial relationship with the media in order to feed into the siege mentality of their base.

Yes, that's it. A vast right-wing conspiracy is all it is. There's no real left bias in Hollywood or network TV. It's a Republican plot so they can have underdog status. It's also why they actually hate women -- that's not exaggerated or misrepresented at all. It's the Republicans making the political game more interesting by actually alienating an entire gender.

Tell me another.

edit -- oh yeah we also actually don't believe in science. That's not left-wing propaganda.

The Dem electorate isn't "far left" as far as I know. But they'll vote for a far left guy if he's running against an (R). I'm going to guess that staunch (R) or (D) party line voters won't actually switch camps over how close to center or how far out extreme their candidate is. They'll just either vote their side of the ticket or stay home.

How many people are really staunch party-line voters, though? It's certainly not 45/45. It's more like 10/10.

Personally I'll stay home in Nov '16 if Chris Christie's the (R) nominee. I just don't like the guy. That is, unless Hillary is the (D) nominee. I'd vote for just about literally any (R) against her, I just dislike her that much. Actually I'm not looking forward to this next election cycle at all.

I think Hillary is taking CA without me, and I don't like her much. I wouldn't stay home because it's not a single-election vote, and there's no way the GOP candidate will be any better.

Yes, that's it. A vast right-wing conspiracy is all it is. There's no real left bias in Hollywood or network TV. It's a Republican plot so they can have underdog status. It's also why they actually hate women -- that's not exaggerated or misrepresented at all. It's the Republicans making the political game more interesting by actually alienating an entire gender.

Tell me another.

edit -- oh yeah we also actually don't believe in science. That's not left-wing propaganda.

Yes because Republicans don't gleefully play the liberal media card at every opportunity.

Just to jump in on this one point, coming from Toronto we have a Mayor who has wholeheartedly adopted this exact same attitude/strategy, and it is infuriating (as someone who is pretty much an impartial observer) even in his hamfisted and limited approach. It must be downright maddening to have to deal with it on a much grander scale (in the US, which is where he's borrowed the idea from).

Don't deal with questions, attack the questioner, turn everything into 'us vs them', criticise anyone saying anything (even if it's objectively true) of being part of some 'conspiracy' and then use a few specific media sources (which you control entirely) to promote yourself (and never, EVER address any facts to the contrary of your claims).

Of course not. The claim is just another example of why the GOP struggles among every group but not-highly-educated whites. The reason Hispanics, women, and everyone else doesn't vote for them has nothing to do with the race of the candidates. It has to do with policy and messaging. The GOP's main policy idea is "we need to give more money to rich people and less to everyone else" and their main way to sell that is, "Democrats are going to give your stuff to minorities."

Amongst the pollsters who show Obama underwater are Gallup, NBC news, and the AP. Hardly fanatical right-wingers. And I've never seen a compelling argument in here that Obama's job positives outweigh the negatives -- which could also explain why every poll has his job approval in the negatives.

Breaking it down further, though, his approval is sky high among Democrats, positive among independents, and extremely negative among Republicans.

Yes. The idea that there's some kind of media conspiracy against Republicans is ridiculous, and hurts the party in a lot of ways (it does help move the media to the right, but it means that Republicans don't trust any media other than the highly partisan--and typically dishonest--right-wing media).

Watching C&T try to take on Panamaican has been like reliving the Germany v. Brazil match from world cup 2014.

You can't take your eyes away from the carnage.

How many people are really staunch party-line voters, though? It's certainly not 45/45. It's more like 10/10.

I think Hillary is taking CA without me, and I don't like her much. I wouldn't stay home because it's not a single-election vote, and there's no way the GOP candidate will be any better.

You're saying 80% of America switches back and forth from election to election? I respectfully disagree. And both your state and mine (MN) will go blue next election just to prove it (people tend to stick to one voting preference regardless of the candidate). I guaran-damn-tee it. I know more people who vote consistently D or R and always have and always will, by a 20-to-1 margin, than I do those who switch camps.

How do they create an adversarial relationships with the media? They can't respond to media that hasn't been created. The media glorified W.Clinton, lampooned GWB, mocked Palin and venerated Obama.

That's where your siege mentality originates from. The media distinctly chooses sides and they rarely choose Republicans (for whatever reason). You can't then be surprised when Republicans stop seeing the media as an ally and correctly treats most of them as an opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back