‘Comfort Women’ Agreement FINALLY Reached Between Japan and South Korea

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
BN-LW270_1228SK_P_20151228015648.jpg

SEOUL—South Korea and Japan on Monday said they reached an agreement on Korean “comfort women” who were forced to serve Japanese soldiers sexually in World War II.

Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida said the agreement includes support services for the women, using Japanese government funds. An earlier Japanese arrangement to help the women in the 1990s and 2000s involved the use of private donations.

Mr. Kishida said Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe expressed his apologies and remorse to the women as part of the agreement.

Mr. Kishida said the agreement represents a “final, irrevocable” settlement of the issues. “I believe that Japanese-Korean relations will enter a new era,” he Kishida said.

In 1993, Japan issued a statement extending its “sincere apologies and remorse” to the women. South Korea has called for direct support for the women.

“Comfort women” is a euphemism for women used by the imperial Japanese military as forced prostitutes for troops during Japan’s military expansion in Asia beginning in the 1930s. There are no reliable records on how many women were involved, but mainstream historians’ estimates range from 20,000 to 200,000. Many were from Korea, then a Japanese colony, as well as other Asian nations, in addition to a few Westerners.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/japan-south-korea-reach-comfort-women-agreement-1451286347

I kind of wonder what that "agreement" sounds like. How do you go back and rectify this?

Korea: "You know you royally messed up, right?"
Japan: "Yes."

In any event, I'm glad a peaceful resolution of some kind has been found, lest we forget that VERY recently a certain MMA fighter with a win over Anderson Silva, I believe, was saying very insensitive things about what the poor Korean women were put through during the war (and, well, shucks, pretty much throughout all of history too almost).

I kind of wonder what that "agreement" sounds like. How do you go back and rectify this?

Korea: "You know you royally messed up, right?"
Japan: "Yes."

In any event, I'm glad a peaceful resolution of some kind has been found, lest we forget that VERY recently a certain MMA fighter with a win over Anderson Silva, I believe, was saying very insensitive things about what the poor Korean women were put through during the war (and, well, shucks, pretty much throughout all of history too almost).

Chonan?Takase?

Sad how overdue this was. But Japan has not really distanced itself from WW2 Japan.

I think while the nukes made Japan surrender, a true invasion might have changed the view the Japanese have on their past.

Sad how overdue this was. But Japan has not really distanced itself from WW2 Japan.

I think while the nukes made Japan surrender, a true invasion might have changed the view the Japanese have on their past.

Overdue? This already happened ages ago. They already gave them reparations and apologized. Now they re-agreeing to new terms to an old complaint that the Koreans want the Japanese to pay for again. Part of the agreement the Japanese had to throw in was the condition that this be the FINAL time they do this.

Your second comment is freakin ridiculous. What does that even mean?

I'm severely disappointed. I wish the Japanese wouldn't entertain this bullshit from the Koreans.

I was under the impression that Japan had not formally apologized to the Comfort women so far. I now see that Kiichi Miyazawa did this more than 20 years ago.

My second comment relates to continued worshipping of War Criminals. The reason this is happening may be that the devastations in Japan were not the same they were in Germany.

I'm severely disappointed. I wish the Japanese wouldn't entertain this bullshit from the Koreans.

It is not like we are talking a lot of money.

Also, having good relations with all South East Asian nations is a good idea in a time China gets bold.

Big step for Japan. Now maybe they could acknowledge the rest of the whole war crime thing.

Overdue? This already happened ages ago. They already gave them reparations and apologized. Now they re-agreeing to new terms to an old complaint that the Koreans want the Japanese to pay for again. Part of the agreement the Japanese had to throw in was the condition that this be the FINAL time they do this.

Your second comment is freakin ridiculous. What does that even mean?

Everything before this was a complete farce. Oh, some private citizens gave donations, and the government once made a brush off apology. This is the first time a real effort was made by the Japanese government.

This thread brings the humor

Both you guys sucked in WWII and obviously you both haven't come to terms with it

Both you guys sucked in WWII and obviously you both haven't come to terms with it

Japan Sucked in WW2?

In half a century Japan when from the medieval ages to an industrial super power raping China and taking on America.

They lost but they didn't suck.

Yeah I sucked in WW2

Or what are you trying to tell me?

Japan Sucked in WW2?

In half a century Japan when from the medieval ages to an industrial super power raping China and taking on America.

They lost but they didn't suck.

You just take shit at face value with no context huh?

Both Japan and Germany committed gross atrocities and have yet to reconcile fully with it.

Good God man try relaxing on the yellow fever and pausing before you hit reply.

My second comment relates to continued worshipping of War Criminals. The reason this is happening may be that the devastations in Japan were not the same they were in Germany.

LOL, FDR's face is on the dime. You're right though, Japan got off too easy.

Stillman-Hiroshima-690.jpg

I think part of the reason they didn't have the sort of self criticism and acceptance of guilt like Germany is because unlike Germany they (Japan) weren't pressured by the West to own up to their atrocities.

I think part of the reason they didn't have the sort of self criticism and acceptance of guilt like Germany is because unlike Germany they (Japan) weren't pressured by the West to own up to their atrocities.

That is a misconception. Once it became evident the Cold War was on, the US were quick to incorporate Germany into NATO and it was not until the late 1960s that Germans began to really deal with their (our) past.

That is a misconception. Once it became evident the Cold War was on, the US were quick to incorporate Germany into NATO and it was not until the late 1960s that Germans began to really deal with their (our) past.

That doesnt changes the fact that half of Germany was under Soviet control and that nazism was completely uprooted and painted into such a bad image that the toothbrush mustache and the name became taboo. Nazism is still considered the pinnacle of evil by popular media.

Meanwhile Hirohito got his hands cleansed by America and Japan maintained its national unity.

The reason is simple Japan didnt really fucked with anyone strong. Sure they bombed Pearl Harbor, but it was almost as if the Americans wanted them to do it. From that point there was zero attacks against American civilians or mainland, so for the most part the pacific war was another foreign war for America.

For europeans it was personal, France and England suffered in flesh the ravages of WW2 and lets not even talk about the Soviets, so it was not just a simple matter of pragmatism, it was incredibly personal for them to punish and destroy the Germans and the Nazis.

Sure, Americans somewhat became lenient with useful germans, since they dont really had a personal beef with them.

Back