‘Comfort Women’ Agreement FINALLY Reached Between Japan and South Korea

My wife is my comfort woman. We have also reached an agreement. That's a secret. I think I'll keep her.

As humans get better at keeping records I wonder of people are ever going to get over grudges. Like, anything before 1600 if your race was massacred, nobody cares. But now we just hold on to everything for hundreds of years and don't let go. I mean white people still get bitched at for Columbus. Shit happened 400 years ago, what the hell do people want? Get rid of his holiday, sure, but let it go.

LOL, FDR's face is on the dime. You're right though, Japan got off too easy.

Stillman-Hiroshima-690.jpg
FDR was dead when the nuclear devices became operational. President Harry Truman made the call to nuke Japan.

FDR was dead when the nuclear devices became operational. President Harry Truman made the call to nuke Japan.

The strategic bombing had been going on for years.

And anyone who thinks that a land invasion Japan was the better idea clearly has never been in a war. The amount of blood (on both sides) and destruction would have been considerably more than if the nukes were used. Japanese troops would have fought to the last man, civilians in the densely populated city of Tokyo and many other cities would have been torn apart by bullets, tanks, and artillery from both sides, and the war would have persisted for at least another year, possibly longer. As horrifying as nuclear detonations were, they saved so many lives.

The strategic bombing had been going on for years.
Yes, that's true. But that happens in lots of wars. Japan was not special, especially when you consider what they were doing in terms of bombing to many of their neighboring countries.

That doesnt changes the fact that half of Germany was under Soviet control and that nazism was completely uprooted and painted into such a bad image that the toothbrush mustache and the name became taboo. Nazism is still considered the pinnacle of evil by popular media.

Meanwhile Hirohito got his hands cleansed by America and Japan maintained its national unity.

The reason is simple Japan didnt really fucked with anyone strong. Sure they bombed Pearl Harbor, but it was almost as if the Americans wanted them to do it. From that point there was zero attacks against American civilians or mainland, so for the most part the pacific war was another foreign war for America.

For europeans it was personal, France and England suffered in flesh the ravages of WW2 and lets not even talk about the Soviets, so it was not just a simple matter of pragmatism, it was incredibly personal for them to punish and destroy the Germans and the Nazis.

Sure, Americans somewhat became lenient with useful germans, since they dont really had a personal beef with them.

Let's not forget that we also dropped 2 nukes on Japan (probably unnecessarily). It's pretty much a wash between us, so the Japanese don't get vilified in Western media as much because we exaxted our pound of flesh. This is why most folks in the US and probably EU don't think of Japan for its atrocities, but Asian and So Pacific countries....

As humans get better at keeping records I wonder of people are ever going to get over grudges. Like, anything before 1600 if your race was massacred, nobody cares. But now we just hold on to everything for hundreds of years and don't let go. I mean white people still get bitched at for Columbus. Shit happened 400 years ago, what the hell do people want? Get rid of his holiday, sure, but let it go.

Well, in this case, there are still living comfort women. Their number is dwindling year by year, which is the reason why they push so hard.

Colombus hatred is PC run amok. Holding a guy responsible for the later actions of other people, which he wouldn't have foreseen, is ridiculous.

Saying Fat Man and Little Boy were unnecessary puts you in the same league as troofers and anti-vax

Well, in this case, there are still living comfort women. Their number is dwindling year by year, which is the reason why they push so hard.

Colombus hatred is PC run amok. Holding a guy responsible for the later actions of other people, which he wouldn't have foreseen, is ridiculous.

Columbus hatred is perfectly rational since he was a criminal, he actually was dragged in chains back to Spain for his crimes.

Saying Fat Man and Little Boy were unnecessary puts you in the same league as troofers and anti-vax

What? there are legitimate historian debates that say it was unnecesary since the japanese wouldnt still surrender without a guarantee of national unity.

The A-bombs werent that strong, a single night raid could create the same level of devastation minus the radiation.

The conditions the japanese asked for surrender before the bombs were actually met by the allies after surrender, so the point is kind of moot, they knew they were going to lose, they only wanted Japan national unity and the forgiveness of the emperor, both things were granted to them anyway.

Not that i pity japanese civilians much though, most were blindly fanatical to the emperor.

I kind of wonder what that "agreement" sounds like. How do you go back and rectify this?

Korea: "You know you royally messed up, right?"
Japan: "Yes."

In any event, I'm glad a peaceful resolution of some kind has been found, lest we forget that VERY recently a certain MMA fighter with a win over Anderson Silva, I believe, was saying very insensitive things about what the poor Korean women were put through during the war (and, well, shucks, pretty much throughout all of history too almost).
I think the ROK was really just looking for a formal, unambiguous apology. That is something they have been seeking for quite some time and the Japanese often gave lip-service that seemed rather insincere. I haven't read the details of this yet, but yes it would be great if they can try putting this behind them so that they can cooperate and focus on more contemporary issues. This has been a very sticky issue, understandably.

What? there are legitimate historian debates that say it was unnecesary since the japanese wouldnt still surrender without a guarantee of national unity.

The A-bombs werent that strong, a single night raid could create the same level of devastation minus the radiation.

The conditions the japanese asked for surrender before the bombs were actually met by the allies after surrender, so the point is kind of moot, they knew they were going to lose, they only wanted Japan national unity and the forgiveness of the emperor, both things were granted to them anyway.

Not that i pity japanese civilians much though, most were blindly fanatical to the emperor.

They aren't legitimate historians, they are revisionists and apologists.

They aren't legitimate historians, they are revisionists and apologists.

The only revisionist seems to be you.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/31/us/hiroshima-a-controversy-that-refuses-to-die.html?pagewanted=all

Japan would had accepted a conditional surrender, if the US had given them what they did gave to them in the end.

The only difference the bomb made was to make Japan commit to an unconditional surrender earlier than it would, since they already were sitting ducks, the devastation of 1 bomb was already matched by the USAF, just look at the firebombing of Tokyo.

Why yes NYT is scholarly as fuck and never shows bias

Everything before this was a complete farce. Oh, some private citizens gave donations, and the government once made a brush off apology. This is the first time a real effort was made by the Japanese government.

Explain why it was a farce aside from someone saying it was a farce and leaving it at that. This wasn't the first time "real effort" (whatever that is supposed to mean) was made toward making amends to Korean complaints whether the Koreans are justified or not.

Why yes NYT is scholarly as fuck and never shows bias

I forgot that reading is beyond your skills, im sorry for your time, carry on.

That doesnt changes the fact that half of Germany was under Soviet control and that nazism was completely uprooted and painted into such a bad image that the toothbrush mustache and the name became taboo. Nazism is still considered the pinnacle of evil by popular media.

Meanwhile Hirohito got his hands cleansed by America and Japan maintained its national unity.

The reason is simple Japan didnt really fucked with anyone strong. Sure they bombed Pearl Harbor, but it was almost as if the Americans wanted them to do it. From that point there was zero attacks against American civilians or mainland, so for the most part the pacific war was another foreign war for America.

For europeans it was personal, France and England suffered in flesh the ravages of WW2 and lets not even talk about the Soviets, so it was not just a simple matter of pragmatism, it was incredibly personal for them to punish and destroy the Germans and the Nazis.

Sure, Americans somewhat became lenient with useful germans, since they dont really had a personal beef with them.

That's because after Pearl Harbor, my boys from the good ole USMC took the war to them and kicked the shit out of them island after island. They didn't have the resources to attack us again like that because our Navy and Marines crippled those fucks.

I think part of the reason they didn't have the sort of self criticism and acceptance of guilt like Germany is because unlike Germany they (Japan) weren't pressured by the West to own up to their atrocities.

What a joke. Where do you people find these talking points about a self-criticism and start parroting all over the Western speaking forums as something that was necessary for the Japanese to have gone through.

The whole logic behind the Nazi's being self-reflection is the whole Holocaust narrative where they attacked and massacred people based upon their ethnicity, race, sexual orientation etc. And the West has sold the world that this was the causes for the War against Nazi Germany.

The Japanese weren't doing this. They were trying to build an Empire in Asia just as the West did. The Russians had be breathing down their necks since the mid-19th century. The Americans forced Japan's country to open under the threat of violence. The British, Germans, French, Spanish had conquered and colonized the ENTIRETY OF ASIA except China (Korea was part of China), Siam, Japan.

Japan's war was not about taking down a people. It was elevating Asia to the standards of the West.

The Japanese have been self-critical of themselves since they joined with the Western Powers.

Explain why it was a farce aside from someone saying it was a farce and leaving it at that. This wasn't the first time "real effort" (whatever that is supposed to mean) was made toward making amends to Korean complaints whether the Koreans are justified or not.

What this guy says:

I think the ROK was really just looking for a formal, unambiguous apology. That is something they have been seeking for quite some time and the Japanese often gave lip-service that seemed rather insincere. .

They wanted a formal apology for taking and enslaving Korean women to be used as whores. The women wanted the government to acknowledge what they, the govt, had done to them, and apologize for it. They didn't want another "sorry, not sorry" response.

Back