“Mask” starring Cher, Stoltz, and Sam Fuckin Elliot

Langstarr

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Finally revisited this movie with my wife who’d never seen it. It held up very well. Great acting by Cher and Eric Stoltz and of course my man Sam fuckin Elliot. The characters were likeable, and the guy that did the make-up won an Oscar for his work on the movie. I’ve always thought Cher nailed the scene in the end when Rocky dies (had my cheeks drenched in tears). Of course the choice to play Grateful Dead’s “ripple” was a perfect compliment during this scene too. I’m curious who else out there loved this movie. There’s a lot to love. Escpecially the sexy Cher who has an excellent performance all the way through.

Great movie. Great performances.

Memorable roles right down to characters like Dozer.

I don't think there was a single woman in the 80s that wasn't ready to go if Sam threw her this look.

MV5BZDJjNzVlMGMtYWYxNi00ZGFjLTg4NzgtODI2ODI5NzAxN2E4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1427,1000_AL_.jpg

Dude is a fuckin legend. His mustache is epic in this movie. His voice makes me moist and I’m a man. DBE7E616-D568-46D8-A323-9F659DA18402.jpeg
He really does do a good job in this movie though. Quite mellow and understated but firm and cool. And of course, Wade Garrett. 6ED36410-3043-4BC9-B50E-D57E6079AA51.jpeg

Finally revisited this movie with my wife who’d never seen it. It held up very well. Great acting by Cher and Eric Stoltz and of course my man Sam fuckin Elliot. The characters were likeable, and the guy that did the make-up won an Oscar for his work on the movie. I’ve always thought Cher nailed the scene in the end when Rocky dies (had my cheeks drenched in tears). Of course the choice to play Grateful Dead’s “ripple” was a perfect compliment during this scene too. I’m curious who else out there loved this movie. There’s a lot to love. Escpecially the sexy Cher who has an excellent performance all the way through.

I haven't seen that movie since I was pretty young, but I remember it having a big impact on me. It was a very well-executed film.

On a side note, the real life mother that was played by Cher died in a motorcyle accident about a decade ago or so.

201cb784f41e5eea924a707fd6adf1de.jpg

"These things are good: ice cream and cake, a ride on a Harley, seeing monkeys in the trees, the rain on my tongue, and the sun shining on my face. These things are a drag: dust in my hair, holes in my shoes, no money in my pocket, and the sun shining on my face."

I like that movie a lot, cool kid, too bad for all the shit he had to go through.

Great movie. Great performances.

Memorable roles right down to characters like Dozer.

I don't think there was a single woman in the 80s that wasn't ready to go if Sam threw her this look.

MV5BZDJjNzVlMGMtYWYxNi00ZGFjLTg4NzgtODI2ODI5NzAxN2E4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1427,1000_AL_.jpg

Sam Elliot was a mans man, deep voice, stache and rugged good looks.

One of the best movies of that era, underrated and Cher deserved the Oscar, it was super sad because it was a true story and when she discovers her son that part gets to me all the time like the wind is knocked out of your gut

Eric Stoltz was great too.

It really was a touching and beautiful movie. I wish there was more info on the production of the movie. I’m very high on it right now.

This movie was good, liked that we got a back story on dalton's friend

To me this was Cher's best performance most people say Moonstruck, I loved that movie it was comedic, but this was a serious role and Cher handled it so well she played a tough loving strong willed mother in Mask

According to Cher, this film was shot in Rocky and Rusty Dennis' old neighborhood. One day she was walking down a street with Eric Stoltz (in make-up) and an old man yelled "Hi!" at Eric. He then said, "I'm so happy to see you, I heard you died." Cher says he was so happy that they didn't have the heart to tell him the truth.

This warms my heart:

Cher became the National Spokesperson the for Children's Craniofacial Association in 1990. Rocky Dennis had a rare craniofacial condition called Craniodiaphyseal Dysplasia. Cher attended an event in Washington, D.C. in September 1990, where families affected by craniofacial conditions testified before the House Budget Committee. During that week, she joined ten families on a visit to the White House hosted by First Lady Barbara Bush. During her Love Hurts, Believe, and Farewell tours, Cher invited children with craniofacial conditions backstage to visit. During a late night conference in Washington, D.C. with several craniofacial families, Cher suggested an annual meeting be held where families could get together to share information and support. In 1991, Children's Craniofacial Association held its first Annual Cher's Family Retreat at Disney World in Florida. Since then, subsequent retreats have been held each year in various cities across the United States. As of 2017, Cher remains the spokesperson for the organization.

[last lines]
Rocky Dennis: [voiceover; a poem Rocky had written] These things are good: ice cream and cake, a ride on a Harley, seeing monkeys in the trees, the rain on my tongue, and the sun shining on my face. These things are a drag: dust in my hair, holes in my shoes, no money in my pocket, and the sun shining on my face.

A real poem by Rocky

Nice movie. And yeah, Elliot is the man.

It really was a touching and beautiful movie. I wish there was more info on the production of the movie. I’m very high on it right now.
I love when a movie gets me like that. I have been meaning to watch this for years. I was interested as a kid but I ran in to it a few years ago and it hit me really hard, I just saw a scene or so but I empathized so much. I could tell it was a special movie I needed to see.

Elliot is one of those guys who seemed like he aged quickly and then stayed the same for the next twenty years. Steve Martin, too.

I wonder what today's women would think of him, as I've read posts on here about chicks from the 80's and earlier {and I'm talking real screen legends/sex symbols} as not being close to women of today, {seems yoga pants and a good squatting and lunge program, is all that is needed to be Hot AF today}

Great movie
Haven't seen it since the 80's but still remember it pretty clearly, shit was powerful to me back then

Back