“This Is America”

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So apparently a new rap video by Childish Gambino contains subliminal messages and provides some sort of commentary about America. I watched the video a few times and decided he’s just another rich minority trying to make a buck off the perceived plight of other minorities. Thoughts? He’s Kaepernick 2.0

Supposedly the poses he strikes are Jim Crown charicatures or something. The gun is the only real commentary on society and it’s certainly not groundbreaking

Last edited:
I think that is a pretty empty analysis. Do you want to share any of your reasons for believing that to be the case?

The video seems to be symbolic for the way we use entertainment to distract us from the violence and corruption going on behind the scenes. I thought it was a great video.

Also, the musician (Donald Glover) is a great artist. He sings, he raps, he's an accomplished actor, and he's a very thoughtful guy if you ever watch an interview with him. He is one of the most creative guys in the entertainment industry.

He just hosted SNL a few days ago, and was the music guest as his alter ego.

Talking about the video.

Singing some song on the same album.

Last edited:
The video seems to be symbolic for the way we use entertainment to distract us from the violence and corruption going on behind the scenes.

I actually hadn't taken that interpretive direction.

Interesting.

I love it when people born in 1983 complain about Jim Crow and Slavery, because it really affected your life

I saw this and wasn't really impressed but I'm not American nor a fan of the genre really. Honestly I think at this point in the hyper-politicized environment, if any celebrity with name value frames their latest project as some grandiose statement on America or even better as "a difficult conversation about race" or something like that I think it will get a lot of hype in the media.

Great song. I made a thread about it in the music discussion forum. Music like that, IMO, is authentic hip hop.

I love it when people born in 1983 complain about Jim Crow and Slavery, because it really affected your life

Isn't it plausible to you that peoples families might have been lynched, raped, tortured, or just simply "disappeared" during Jim Crow? Most people care about the pain that was inflicted upon their families, so why should they forget and not complain about terror?

Great song. I made a thread about it in the music discussion forum. Music like that, IMO, is authentic hip hop.

Isn't it plausible to you that peoples families might have been lynched, raped, tortured, or just simply "disappeared" during Jim Crow? Most people care about the pain that was inflicted upon their families, so why should they forget and not complain about terror?

Yep, all the 90s kid were concerned about what happened to their families in the 1940s...

Doesn't anybody get tired of people being this deliberately, and almost proudly ignorant?

Yep, all the 90s kid were concerned about what happened to their families in the 1940s...

Dude, Jim Crow formally existed until the 1960s. There are clearly people still alive that suffered from that. Why are you so dismissive of the pain of others?

he’s just another rich minority trying to make a buck off the perceived plight of other minorities. Thoughts? He’s Kaepernick 2.0
I'm pretty sure Kapernick has lost out on money because of his protests, no?

Doesn't anybody get tired of people being this deliberately, and almost proudly ignorant?

Doesnt it get tiring to fight over slights that happened to your ancestors. Should whites and blacks become like the arabs and fight it out for the next 10000 years or do you think at some point we can as a people together try to move past it

Some bitch made a woman’s edit, and it’s cringy as fuck. We need an edit for white dudes and have it be about how people complain about centuries old shit, shit that doesn’t exist or is greatly exaggerated, and how everything is our fault even if we take no part in anything.

Dude, Jim Crow formally existed until the 1960s. There are clearly people still alive that suffered from that. Why are you so dismissive of the pain of others?
No pain, no gain bruh.

Agreed. Like the kids who lost grandparents in WWII or the kids growing up now who lost parents and aunts and uncles on 9/11. It's like, get over it and stop pretending it affected you, but also #NeverForget.

Doesnt it get tiring to fight over slights that happened to your ancestors. Should whites and blacks become like the arabs and fight it out for the next 10000 years or do you think at some point we can as a people together try to move past it

You've completely changed the subject here. What you are saying here is not what the other poster said. That is a cheap debate tactic, where you have no support, so you change the topic to something you think you have more to say about.

He said Jim Crow does not affect somebody born in 1983. If you were born in 1983, there's a chance your own parents were born into Jim Crow, and it's a certainty that your grandparents lived in Jim Crow.

How in the hell could you make any reasonable argument that your parents and grandparents' lives do not have an effect on yours? It's ignorant, it's stupid, it's dismissive, and people need to stop being so proudly stupid because it's embarrassing.

I was born in 1986, and my grandparents were born in the 1920s. Yes, their lives directly effected mine.

Back