“This Is America”

So legitimate question.

I did a family lineage/tree thing in high school. Turns out my family to our knowledge never owned slaves, so what do I personally have to feel guilty/pay for? Not a troll question I'm being serious.

(also to the uninformed it turns out even at the peak of slavery in the US it was still a VERY small percentage of whites who owned slaves)

c7988af55c60dd5521c737edda06c5a8.jpg

What were the majority of whites doing to stop slavery? Granted, John Brown was a motherfucking hero. If only he could have killed Lee at Harpers Ferry.

Sorry are you saying black Americans commit staggeringly higher rates of violent crime than other racial groups in America per capita because of racism? Most of them are killing other black people...
I'm saying they're being imprisoned longer for the same crimes and at a higher rate for every crime. That's a lot of broken families that creates a continuous cycle. I'd say our for profit justice system is broken and designed to make money off of those broken families. Just the racial profiling by police creates a problem when it comes to families/communities. I get it though, you people lack critical thinking and can't see these things as a problem unless it affects you directly.

So legitimate question.

I did a family lineage/tree thing in high school. Turns out my family to our knowledge never owned slaves, so what do I personally have to feel guilty/pay for? Not a troll question I'm being serious.

(also to the uninformed it turns out even at the peak of slavery in the US it was still a VERY small percentage of whites who owned slaves)
Who said you had to feel guilty? There's a difference between acknowledging a problem and blaming yourself for it. My family emigrated in the early 20th century, never owned any slaves. I don't use that as an excuse to get defensive and dismiss systemic racism today.

The kind of violent crime rates seen in the black community are not seen in other poor communities.

Not the case, I believe actually that poor white communities actually have even higher rates of crime victimisation per person.

The reality is that "poor on poor" is the real issue and your just parroting a message fed to you used to disguise that.

I'm saying they're being imprisoned longer for the same crimes and at a higher rate for every crime. That's a lot of broken families that creates a continuous cycle. I'd say our for profit justice system is broken and designed to make money off of those broken families. Just the racial profiling by police creates a problem when it comes to families/communities. I get it though, you people lack critical thinking and can't see these things as a problem unless it affects you directly.

If you're a member of a group that gets longer sentences for crimes, isn't that a pretty good incentive to not commit said crimes?

Not the case, I believe actually that poor white communities actually have even higher rates of crime victimisation per person.

The reality is that "poor on poor" is the real issue and your just parroting a message fed to you used to disguise that.

Name a white population anywhere in America with similar violent crime rates to the black population of Chicago.

Name a white population anywhere in America with similar violent crime rates to the black population of Chicago.

https://vittana.org/26-poverty-and-crime-statistics

Urban poverty increased the risks of violence and crime for US households, but did not change the racial risk factors. Whites are the most at risk in an urban poverty household to experience crime, at a rate of 5.64%. Blacks/African-Americans had the second highest level of risk for experiencing crime in urban poverty at 5.13%

https://vittana.org/26-poverty-and-crime-statistics

Urban poverty increased the risks of violence and crime for US households, but did not change the racial risk factors. Whites are the most at risk in an urban poverty household to experience crime, at a rate of 5.64%. Blacks/African-Americans had the second highest level of risk for experiencing crime in urban poverty at 5.13%

That's an old trick. That's including 'hispanic whites' in the white stats.

https://www.futurity.org/skewed-stats-distort-black-crime-reports/

No. You're just going to have to do better than "Black sounding names", being passed over for "White sounding names", because it's an absolutely ridiculous base to start from.

I started from a landmark study conducted by two top researchers for the National Bureau of Economic Research. And you're saying that this is "absolutely ridiculous"?

Dude obviously people know why they like it, it's probably the most dissected and talked about piece of art in a minute.

Most like it because the title is "This is America", and it shows savagery and injustice towards black people. Most are not writing an essay on it's symbolism, and simply like it because it's "edgy" and confirms their bias.

You have a higher opinion of people when it comes to interpreting art, than I do. Complexity and deep messaging is not exactly popular. Most like being spoon fed symbolism, and messages, which is exactly what this video does, and is why it's so popular.

Here's a good article from a Parkland student with some valid criticism of it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...america/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.96e01e3f451c

That's a valid criticism. What is he he criticizing it for though? It's simplistic, basic bitch messaging.

That would still be irrelevant considering you were claiming that crime in poor black areas was much higher.

I don't follow. If the combined stat of whites and Hispanics is equal to just blacks, how does that prove that black violent crime stats are not higher? Also, you are showing just crime stats, not violent crime stats like I said. You've proved nothing so far...

Edit: I think I see what you mean. You think 'Hiapanic whites' actually exist. They don't. Hispanic people aren't white. When I say it's an old trick, I mean, lying and combining white people and Hispanics is an old trick to make it appear that white people are anywhere close to as violent as black people statistically. They aren't.

Race and Ethnicity: The UCR tracks crime for the racial category of "White" to include both Hispanic and non-Hispanic ethnicities. According to the ACLU, with over 50 million Latinos residing in the United States, this hides the incarceration rates for Latinos vis-à-vis marijuana-related offenses, as they are considered "White" with respect to the UCR.[11]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States

Last edited:
Sigh...

Resumes with "black sounding" names are less likely to be receive a job offer than resumes with "white sounding" names.

Let's start there.

I, personally, don't have a problem with freedom to discriminate.

"Be so good, that they can't say no" is my motto.

This idea that we should have unconditional love for all and everyone doesn't seem natural to me.

I spent that entire 4:05 waiting for the song to start....

c7988af55c60dd5521c737edda06c5a8.jpg

What were the majority of whites doing to stop slavery? Granted, John Brown was a motherfucking hero. If only he could have killed Lee at Harpers Ferry.

True, but honestly, what are you doing against modern day slavery?

Regardless of the message Glover is trying to convey, the real commentary that this video makes about America is that shitty mumble rap with god-awful beats is a thing. That was an absolutely terrible song, lol.

Back