Social “Whatever the circumstance, health wise you are financially better off with ObamaCare" - N. Pelosi

<{nope}>

We can thank the Founding Fathers who were radicals in their day, not the conservatives of their time.

Yup thank the founding fathers for writing it into our constitution, and thanks to the conservatives for preserving it.

You realize a lot of young leftists are openly for ending freedom of speech?

I don't agree necessarily, in the wake of 9/11 the right was very much against any sort of dissenting opinions surrounding the WoT and painted them as unpatriotic. The current left wing PC madness developed under Obama and only really got bad towards the latter part of his run.
Point taken, but silencing dissent by argument is quite different than silencing dissent by labeling it hate speech and banning it or through the extensive use of blacklisting. That's precisely the kind of shit the right was doing in the fifties and early sixties and it was rightly decried by the left. Today political blacklisting is business as usual in Hollywood or in our universities, which are leftist enclaves.

Point taken, but silencing dissent by argument is quite different than silencing dissent by labeling it hate speech and banning it or through the extensive use of blacklisting. That's precisely the kind of shit the right was doing in the fifties and early sixties and it was rightly decried by the left. Today political blacklisting is business as usual in Hollywood or in our universities, which are leftist enclaves.
Pretty sure the Dixie Chicks got blacklisted for their comments against the Bush Administration. Also Trump threatened to open up libel to go after the media, not really speech friendly if you ask me.

I don't know of a lot of political black listing going on in Hollywood right now aside from when its connected to #metoo.

Yup thank the founding fathers for writing it into our constitution, and thanks to the conservatives for preserving it.

You realize young leftists have little to no power and the right dominates political institutions? You realize that Trump threatened to open up libel laws to go after press which criticizes him?

I don't know of a lot of political black listing going on in Hollywood right now aside from when its connected to #metoo.

It's easier to come out as gay in the Republican Party than to come out as Republican in Hollywood.

You realize young leftists have little to no power and the right dominates political institutions? You realize that Trump threatened to open up libel laws to go after press which criticizes him?

Trump's comments and attitudes toward the free press are a much, much bigger threat to free speech than a couple dozen college kids at Bumfuck U. shouting at Richard Spencer. Likewise, Republican removal of worker protections are a much, much bigger threat to free speech than campus leftists.

It's easier to come out as gay in the Republican Party than to come out as Republican in Hollywood.
And there are industries where it might be the reverse but that doesn't mean that there's a threat to free speech.Mickey Rourke got a role in Iron Man 2, if a conservative can get hired on to the MCU they can work anywhere in Hollywood that matters.
Trump's comments and attitudes toward the free press are a much, much bigger threat to free speech than a couple dozen college kids at Bumfuck U. shouting at Richard Spencer. Likewise, Republican removal of worker protections are a much, much bigger threat to free speech than campus leftists.
Yeah I agree, the idea that young leftists are such a wide threat to free speech in society at large seems to me not very convincing.

Where do these young leftists learn it? From their college professors who indeed do have power.

I have no issue with libel laws... can you name any specifics he wanted to change?

And there are industries where it might be the reverse but that doesn't mean that there's a threat to free speech.Mickey Rourke got a role in Iron Man 2, if a conservative can get hired on to the MCU they can work anywhere in Hollywood that matters.

Yeah I agree, the idea that young leftists are such a wide threat to free speech in society at large seems to me not very convincing.

I never said they were a threat. I said they wanted it gone

What I think is going on is that there are a lot of right-wingers who are genuinely convinced that things like crime and poverty are caused by either genetic or cultural inferiority, mostly of minorities. People who think that might have non-white friends and profess admiration for Thomas Sowell and Dinesh D'Souza and don't think of themselves as racists (and they might despise the kind of snarling Bull Connor type that they think of when they hear the term). They *feel* persecuted because expressing what they think leads people to brand them as racists, but given that there are no actual impediments to their free speech, any objective attempt to evaluate the merit of their claim will lead to the conclusion that it is baseless. Meanwhile, real attacks on free speech mainly come from the right, and principled defenses of it almost exclusively come from the left.

I never said they were a threat. I said they wanted it gone
You say I should thank conservatives for preserving free speech, preserving it from what? Presumably in the context of your other posts a threat from the left. If that's not what you meant then what were the conservatives preserving free speech from?

You say I should thank conservatives for preserving free speech, preserving it from what? Presumably in the context of your other posts a threat from the left. If that's not what you meant then what were the conservatives preserving free speech from?

Well young leftists are largely crybabies who can't get anything done. Their professors though... that's another story.

Well, for starters there are the people who did not have health insurance before. Then you have the fact that the law slowed the rate at which insurance costs were increasing. So while it never did make insurance cost cheaper, it did make cost lower then then would have been without.
I've heard people say that it's slowed the cost of increased down but that was not my personal experience. My premiums held pretty steady before the ACA was enacted. After it was enacted they went through the roof and so did the deductibles. I don't know anyone that had a different experience. I tend not to believe something when someone says it is true if my personal experience tells me that it's not.

Pelosi is insufferable. The woman is a cancer to society. But that alone doesn't mean she's wrong here, although you could argue the financial difference to Obamacare is negligible.

While it's been disappointing in the grand scheme of things(healthcare is 5x more expensive than in other first world countries) the most promising part about Obamacare is that it has been a big step towards having actual working universal healthcare.

Is this like how conservatives "preserved" the 4th amendment with the Patriot Act? As well as gave the government the right to suspend habeas corpus?

You sit here and preach like your team is infallible, yet history has shown the established right to be anti-Constitution on many occasions. The established left has been less detrimental in this regard, although that's the best I can say about them.

Well young leftists are largely crybabies who can't get anything done. Their professors though... that's another story.
So their professors are the threat? How so? And how does that threat compare to the POTUS threatening to sue the media and constantly attacking them?

Is this like how conservatives "preserved" the 4th amendment with the Patriot Act?

A conservative who fights against the constitution? Sounds like an oxymoron or a wolf in sheeps clothing.
I never said the right was infalible... he brought up all the nations that had universal healthcare. I pointed out these same "front runners" lack freedom of speech so maybe we shouldn't try to copy them with their decision making.

Tell that to the people in their 20's who don't need it or want it but are now forced to pay for it. I never needed Health insurance in my 20's. Hell I don't need it now I just need dental.

So their professors are the threat? How so? And how does that threat compare to the POTUS threatening to sue the media and constantly attacking them?

They are a threat by teaching anti free speech rhetoric like punch a nazi. They advocate political violence and then are defended when they do so. Are not aware of the 2016 election cycle?

They deserve the mocking trump gives them. Threatening to sue isnt a violation of your freedom of speech

They are a threat by teaching anti free speech rhetoric like punch a nazi. They advocate political violence and then are defended when they do so. Are not aware of the 2016 election cycle?
Trump also encouraged violence against critics at his rallies so he's guilty of that too.
They deserve the mocking trump gives them. Threatening to sue isnt a violation of your freedom of speech
Loosening libel laws is a threat to free speech though.

Back