Crime “Words alone” are no reason to kill, Man gets 10 years for punching woman over N-word

Status
Not open for further replies.
What he was called has zero excuse for his actions, that's kind of the point of this whole thread

The posts I was responding to were calling for the death penalty and life sentence. And, yes, in the law there are mitigating considerations including provocation.

Hence he only received 10 years instead of 30.

If he got 10 years in prison over someone calling him a name, he'll only get more time while on the inside for being that stupid and having more opportunities to fuck up in a "controlled" environment.

Last edited:
It was created by blood and iron. Words don't mean shit unless you got an army. See Socrates and Jesus. Blood and iron decide what words matter. Only when Christianity got muscle did its words matter.
Christianity got muscle due to an idea conveyed by words. Words matter very much. Ideas even more.

Feelings? Lol. Grow up and quit letting others dictate your life choices by allowing them to take ownership of your emotions. If one single word can manipulate you to this degree then you should live apart from society as you're a ticking time bomb.

I feel like you're sidestepping my questions in a deliberate way. You've heard a white person seriously use the n word against a black person "plenty" in your life?

Well today's your lucky day because I can. If you were in a situation where you had such contempt for a person's well being and wanted to do them so much emotional and/or physical harm that you simply wanted to say the most vile thing you could.

This is my entire point. Nowadays, regular people in regular circumstances don't use the n word in the manner I'm discussing. The rare instance in which a white person will feel safe enough and enraged enough to call a black person the n word, that black person probably isn't safe. Why is that such a difficult idea to accept? Do you think I just walk around getting called the n word all day?

The only time in recent memory I've been called the n word was when I took a wrong turn and a group of homeless white dudes were standing around a trash fire. They called me the n word. I left. I guess I should have asked them for directions? Would you argue that I wasn't in danger?

On several occasions, people have tried to kill my dad and brothers. Each time, the n word was used right beforehand.

Again, is this surprising? Do you think I go to lunch with white people and they say, "Hey, do you mind passing the salt, n word?"

I agree with this and I have this entire thread.

I think that non-minorities have difficulty understanding this, because it is something they have never faced, and likely would never face.
The 'N' word is not the same as calling someone stupid, or fat, or a turd, or whatever. The history of the word, and that that it is a word that is directed at a particular group of people is what give it power, and make the people it's used on fear it.
Of all the words in the world you could call me, for a person to choose the 'N' word, that is deliberate. It isn't just a word. You chose that particular word for a reason. If a white guy is ballsy enough to call me a 'N' word out in the open, that guy wants to fight me, or cause some other sort of harm to me.
I really don't view it as "he hurt my feelings". I view it as he said that for a reason.
If I call some random dude I don't know a F**, and I call a guy i know to be gay a F**, those words will carry different weight and sting to both of those guys. The random dude that isn't gay will just see it as a diss, the gay guy can see it as a potential threat on his life.

All that being said, I don't believe that words justify violence. Though, I also think the idea that words are simply words is bullshit. Words have meanings. Words have intents. There's a reason why we say the words that we say, and those words precede actions.
I'm half black, have never been called the 'N' word to my face. (though i have heard it behind my back) I wouldn't swing on someone that said the word, but if someone were to actually say it to me, I would be on red alert, because I would think that guy would probably want to fight. An exchange like that is likely to lead to violence if you engage with words, because that person said it because they wanted something to happen.

For this story though, the guy punched a woman. There's no excuse. Doesn't matter what she said, punching out a woman that didn't touch you is indefensible.
He's getting off extremely light considering that this resulted in someone's death.

Christianity got muscle due to an idea conveyed by words. Words matter very much. Ideas even more.

Feelings? Lol. Grow up and quit letting others dictate your life choices by allowing them to take ownership of your emotions. If one single word can manipulate you to this degree then you should live apart from society as you're a ticking time bomb.

To quote Faust, and contrary to the bible, the word was not first and the word was not God. The act was.

The Bible says:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Goethe says:

’Tis written: “In the Beginning was the Word.”
Here am I balked: who, now can help afford?
The Word? — impossible so high to rate it;
And otherwise must I translate it.
If by the Spirit I am truly taught.
Then thus: “In the Beginning was the Thought
This first line let me weigh completely,
Lest my impatient pen proceed too fleetly.
Is it the Thought which works, creates, indeed?
“In the Beginning was the Power,” I read.
Yet, as I write, a warning is suggested,
That I the sense may not have fairly tested.
The Spirit aids me: now I see the light!
“In the Beginning was the Act,” I write.

and yes I know I am using words to make my point lol and they do have power but action is first.

alexmurder0404_017.JPG

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...5eac230e514_story.html?utm_term=.652d3dde0cf9

Honestly, I think the guy deserves a lighter sentence. I don't think people realize just how difficult it is going through life being really, really good looking.

Zoolander-Magnum.png

even going back to childhood, I never understood this type of mentality

some kids would lose it if another called their mom a whore or something, when they could just deny/ignore/laugh it off.....

never made any sense to me, stop caring what other people think

With this guy's stupid mindset, like millions on dickheads have... Every man, woman, and child in his vicinity at a given moment had the ability to make him into a violent criminal at the drop of a hat. He had no power over it; He had to become a criminal because she said words. Illogic 101

If he got 10 years in prison over someone calling him a name, he'll only get more time while on the inside for being that stupid and having more opportunities to fuck up in a "controlled" environment.

He'll hear Freaky Friday and go on a killing spree.

I think that non-minorities have difficulty understanding this, because it is something they have never faced, and likely would never face.
The 'N' word is not the same as calling someone stupid, or fat, or a turd, or whatever. The history of the word, and that that it is a word that is directed at a particular group of people is what give it power, and make the people it's used on fear it.
Of all the words in the world you could call me, for a person to choose the 'N' word, that is deliberate. It isn't just a word. You chose that particular word for a reason. If a white guy is ballsy enough to call me a 'N' word out in the open, that guy wants to fight me, or cause some other sort of harm to me.
I really don't view it as "he hurt my feelings". I view it as he said that for a reason.
If I call some random dude I don't know a F**, and I call a guy i know to be gay a F**, those words will carry different weight and sting to both of those guys. The random dude that isn't gay will just see it as a diss, the gay guy can see it as a potential threat on his life.

All that being said, I don't believe that words justify violence. Though, I also think the idea that words are simply words is bullshit. Words have meanings. Words have intents. There's a reason why we say the words that we say, and those words precede actions.
I'm half black, have never been called the 'N' word to my face. (though i have heard it behind my back) I wouldn't swing on someone that said the word, but if someone were to actually say it to me, I would be on red alert, because I would think that guy would probably want to fight. An exchange like that is likely to lead to violence if you engage with words, because that person said it because they wanted something to happen.

For this story though, the guy punched a woman. There's no excuse. Doesn't matter what she said, punching out a woman that didn't touch you is indefensible.
He's getting off extremely light considering that this resulted in someone's death.

Actually, the first thing black dudes do every single time you get in a confrontation with them is start spewing racial hatred at you if you're white.

I agree with everything except him getting off light. I think physical violence is so weird and unpredictable that penalties should be fairly light. People survive getting hit by cars all the time, sometimes unscathed. If he'd punched her a little to the left or with slightly less force (or even with slightly more force), she probably woulda survived.

I don't get why so many non-black people take offense at the idea that they don't know what it's like to be called the n word. I don't know what it's like to be white. I grew up in the desert and have never had a sunburn in my life. I have no reason to pretend I know what a sunburn feels like. I'm a man. I don't know what childbirth is like. I'm not offended by that. I'm sure there are things more physically painful I could experience, but those still aren't equivalent. I would never demand that a woman justify to me why she feels that childbirth pain is unique or demand a white person explain why sunburns hurt. I just take their word for it and go about my life.

It's so bizarre.

Actually, the first thing black dudes do every single time you get in a confrontation with them is start spewing racial hatred at you if you're white.

That's crazy because I'm a black dude and I've been in confrontations and I've never done that. Maybe you hang around trash people if this happens "every single time"?

Cashier: Sorry Mr. Leagon, but your card has been declined.

Me: Oh it has, you pale imperialist piece of shit?!?

I agree with everything except him getting off light. I think physical violence is so weird and unpredictable that penalties should be fairly light. People survive getting hit by cars all the time, sometimes unscathed. If he'd punched her a little to the left or with slightly less force (or even with slightly more force), she probably woulda survived.

I don't get why so many non-black people take offense at the idea that they don't know what it's like to be called the n word. I don't know what it's like to be white. I grew up in the desert and have never had a sunburn in my life. I have no reason to pretend I know what a sunburn feels like. I'm a man. I don't know what childbirth is like. I'm not offended by that. I'm sure there are things more physically painful I could experience, but those still aren't equivalent. I would never demand that a woman justify to me why she feels that childbirth pain is unique or demand a white person explain why sunburns hurt. I just take their word for it and go about my life.

It's so bizarre.
I hear you, but, we all only have 1 life. I'm not a religious dude, so this is all i got.
If you do some dumb shit that causes me to lose the most valuable thing to ANY being on the planet(life) , "shit happens" is not good enough.
Anything short of you losing yourown life is getting off light.
10 years ALIVE in prison doesn't compare to dead for forever.
Stupidity isn't an excuse in my book..not when it leads to death.

I agree on the second part though.
There are a lot of white people that seem to just find it impossible to believe in the experiences that blacks are telling them they experienced . I find it bizarre, because as you noted, there is plenty of shit i don't know about, or wouldn't ever be able to fully understand on account of me not being white, or gay, or a woman. That doesn't mean that the experiences of those people are not true.
On the flipside, i do think there are blacks that are very quick to immediately scream racism when there are actual other explanations. That doesn't help, and it makes it difficult to hold conversations on race with other people when there is a fear that you won't be able to speak freely without being labeled a racist

Yeah, im half black and have never done this, nor has anyone in my family or circle of friends

There are stupid, poor people in every race, why do you want to base your actions and opinions on only the lowest, dumbest people?

I've heard this line of reasoning a lot.

To me, they aren't the same word. Or they are different forms of the same word with different meanings. English is a complex language. Are red and read the same word? Whether and weather? What about offense (to be affronted) and offense (going on the attack)?

Sooo, it's all about context and homonyms??

They have very different meanings and connotations. The idea that black people "throw the word around" really doesn't hold water. I've had a black person use the n word at me. It didn't feel all that different from having a white person use the n word at me. The threat and danger was still there.

Threat and danger of what? Are you saying that you can control what makes you feel threatened or in danger based on who says what word to you?

I also have black people use the other version of the n word around me and it's not an issue because it doesn't have the same meaning. If two words have a dofferent meaning, they aren't the same word.

Like you mention above, I think many of us have the ability to determine what words make us feel this way or that way . . . or how we react to said words. We have the choice to give that word the power over our actions.

Regardless of what was said to this guy, he chose wrongly.

That's crazy because I'm a black dude and I've been in confrontations and I've never done that. Maybe you hang around trash people if this happens "every single time"?

Cashier: Sorry Mr. Leagon, but your card has been declined.

Me: Oh it has, you pale imperialist piece of shit?!?

I mean actual confrontations, not your bank card being declined.

A violent killer that stalked and killed a woman should get no less than the death penalty and have the best carried out Poste haste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back