⚡ Daniel Cormier Laughs at Jon Jones' Power: 'He Can't Punch!'

Rate Jon Jones' punching power

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny I seem to recall DC crying last time he had an encounter with Jones

Dropped Shogun with a left hook to the body .... I voted 6

he cant punch but he leg kicked the guys head off? jones is just better than cormier overall.

he can kick though

I Voted 3, but it should have been 1 really...
The one he pokes eyes with.

You mean less than average.

No, I meant exactly what I typed - guys that are skinny with super-long arms at higher weight-classes (LWH/HW) have traditionally never been elite power-punchers in MMA. Even if they are very elite athletes throwing power with hands is typically best for more compact fighters.

Just because he's a super-athlete doesn't mean "punching power" is an innate characteristic of innate quickness/endruance; it has to do with having "heavy hands" (i.e. higher concentration of bone density in the hands) and having larger shoulders (which have the downside of causing you to gas more if stuck in wrestling/clinch-fighting positions). It's also a stylistic choice; to throw hard you must sit-down on punches which makes you immobile; if you have the longest reach and super-quick footwork wouldn't you prefer to jab/teep/low-kick and move then throw bombs where someone can step inside and counter you?

The "longest" guy who had elite power with hands was probable Rumble Johnson and he was 78 inch reach with more muscle-mass in his shoulders/deltoids (also was a power-lifter that focused on throwing power shots to compliment his pressure-boxing game that was built around intimidating you with his striking ferocity). For comparison Jones is 84 inches with more balanced muscle-mass throughout his body. Gus has similar build to Jones and seems to have slightly more power but it seems to be style-related (i.e. boxing approach to sit-down on punches when possible instead of alternating between out-fighting with long-range strikes into clinch-fighting).

Most guys we think of as "Elite Punchers" at LHW = Rumble, Chuck, Shogun, Rampage, Latifi, Manuwa, Glover. None of them built anything like Jones - closest is Gus and when has he ever one-hit anyone? Dude had to hit Glover with like 100+ power shots and 3 flush upper-cuts in a row (plus a straight right) to finish him off.

GOD level is just fanboy fantasy talk.

Of course it's hyperbole for the sake of fun, sheeeiiiit.

That being said, Jones has the most elite kicking game we've ever seen on multiple levels (in the UFC/at LHW/in all of MMA).

Don't think we've ever seen somebody be able to land such a diverse array of kicks consistently against a variety of dangerous opponents while staying defensively safe for the majority of it.

No he doesn't, at least at LHW. Gustafsson says Jones and DC has similar punching power.

And Stipe said that DC doesn't even hit that hard, even though he got dropped by a clinch strike and KO'd inside of 1 round by dem' hands....so what does it matter what one fighter says in one instance? In Gus's opinion they have similar punching power even though Jones hurt Gus mostly with elbows and high-kicks while DC hurt him with mostly with clinch uppercuts and dirty boxing??? GREAT comparison there by Gus if he actually said it....:rolleyes:

This is true, his punching technique kindve sucks to be honest, for a guy with a 94 inch reach he has no jab and shit use of his arm reach, he is a pure kicker at distance

Jones did make shogun tap to strikes. Dropped him with a punch to the belly.

But he can definitely kick, for sure.
tumblr_otw11q0WX31r7vh24o1_500.gif

No, I meant exactly what I typed - guys that are skinny with super-long arms at higher weight-classes (LWH/HW) have traditionally never been elite power-punchers in MMA. Even if they are very elite athletes throwing power with hands is typically best for more compact fighters.

Just because he's a super-athlete doesn't mean "punching power" is an innate characteristic of innate quickness/endruance; it has to do with having "heavy hands" (i.e. higher concentration of bone density in the hands) and having larger shoulders (which have the downside of causing you to gas more if stuck in wrestling/clinch-fighting positions). It's also a stylistic choice; to throw hard you must sit-down on punches which makes you immobile; if you have the longest reach and super-quick footwork wouldn't you prefer to jab/teep/low-kick and move then throw bombs where someone can step inside and counter you?

The "longest" guy who had elite power with hands was probable Rumble Johnson and he was 78 inch reach with more muscle-mass in his shoulders/deltoids (also was a power-lifter that focused on throwing power shots to compliment his pressure-boxing game that was built around intimidating you with his striking ferocity). For comparison Jones is 84 inches with more balanced muscle-mass throughout his body. Gus has similar build to Jones and seems to have slightly more power but it seems to be style-related (i.e. boxing approach to sit-down on punches when possible instead of alternating between out-fighting with long-range strikes into clinch-fighting).

Most guys we think of as "Elite Punchers" at LHW = Rumble, Chuck, Shogun, Rampage, Latifi, Manuwa, Glover. None of them built anything like Jones - closest is Gus and when has he ever one-hit anyone? Dude had to hit Glover with like 100+ power shots and 3 flush upper-cuts in a row (plus a straight right) to finish him off.

Of course it's hyperbole for the sake of fun, sheeeiiiit.

That being said, Jones has the most elite kicking game we've ever seen on multiple levels (in the UFC/at LHW/in all of MMA).

Don't think we've ever seen somebody be able to land such a diverse array of kicks consistently against a variety of dangerous opponents while staying defensively safe for the majority of it.

And Stipe said that DC doesn't even hit that hard, even though he got dropped by a clinch strike and KO'd inside of 1 round by dem' hands....so what does it matter what one fighter says in one instance? In Gus's opinion they have similar punching power even though Jones hurt Gus mostly with elbows and high-kicks while DC hurt him with mostly with clinch uppercuts and dirty boxing??? GREAT comparison there by Gus if he actually said it....:rolleyes:
It definitely rare for taller lankier fighters to have true KO power in their hands, most KO their opponents with volume and precision and timing as opposed to raw power, but there are exceptions.

One of my fav's from back in the day

21660B35559FC01744

tenor.gif

Jones is not an exception in this regard. DC is right.

Jones has amazing spinning shit, fantastic elbows, great kicks and range attacks and is very creative. But he does not have power in his punches and that is ok to admit.

It definitely rare for taller lankier fighters to have true KO power in their hands, most KO their opponents with volume and precision and timing as opposed to raw power, but there are exceptions.

One of my fav's from back in the day

21660B35559FC01744

tenor.gif

Jones is not an exception in this regard. DC is right.

Jones has amazing spinning shit, fantastic elbows, great kicks and range attacks and is very creative. But he does not have power in his punches and that is ok to admit.

Hearns was the first exception to the rule that came to mind but in boxing there are more freaks that fit that mold - to be super-tall and skinny in MMA is usually a huge weakness, as it means you are exposed to wrestlers.

Jones is just a freak in his skill-set and build.

"He cannot punch," Cormier laughed as he spoke to Opie & Jim Norton (HT: MMA Digest). "He hit me, and I'm like 'Wow! This is actually him punching me as hard as he can.' He can't punch, so he has to throw elbows, kicks, and knees, because he can't punch. He doesn't hit very hard, so he has to do something."

"He does not punch very hard, I'll be honest with you, man. He kicks very hard, he knees very hard, and he elbows hard, but he can't punch."

As for who he believes hits the hardest, Cormier says it's his previous opponent, Rumble.

"Anthony Johnson, 100 percent," he said. "Anthony Johnson hits harder than any other person, no doubt. Every time he hit me, it made me kind of like fly all over the place. He was trying to take my head off. Even when he'd miss, you can hear it."

"Roy Nelson too, was swinging for the fences, and Dan Henderson," he continued. "Dan Henderson, even when you're close and he hits you from very very close, you can feel how heavy his hands are. His hands are pretty powerful."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/6/1...rmier-laughs-at-jon-jones-power-he-cant-punch

Jon Jones punches like a girl. However his length and footwork are so much better than everyone else, with his grappling and kicks it really doesn't matter. No one can get in range and if they do he just grabs and mauls them from the clinch.

That's why someone like Rumble or Gus II can pose a big threat to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back