✦Wrestlers✦ vs. ✦Strikers✦ in the ✦UFC✦ historically

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVEN SEAGOLD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Over the whole course of the UFC... Who has come out on top? It has always seemed the octagon cage traditionally favored the wrestler.

Usually it's been the wrestlers who squeak by although there's been a shift this past year. The most recent example being Lewis over Nelson. It seems judges are more willing to give the round to whoever has thrown the most effective strikes in the event a fighter in top control does little damage and makes minimal effort to improve position.

Usually its the wrestler, but now strikers are figuring out that all they really need is good TDD and the wrestler will be a fish out of water.

Aldo vs Frankie.

Wonderboy vs Hendricks.

Usually it's been the wrestlers who squeak by although there's been a shift this past year. The most recent example being Lewis over Nelson. It seems judges are more willing to give the round to whoever has thrown the most effective strikes in the event a fighter in top control does little damage and makes minimal effort to improve position.

Roy won that fight.. heck if Beast missed that last punch or if Roy landed a tad more no one could have taken away that win from him.

Also Roy's gut looked bigger then before ? the heck is he doing.

I really thought it would be a chart or something showing the results between each....dissapointed

Roy won that fight.. heck if Beast missed that last punch or if Roy landed a tad more no one could have taken away that win from him.

Also Roy's gut looked bigger then before ? the heck is he doing.

I kinda agree. The ABC stipulates that a round should be judged by it's most prominent phase (except in the event of a knockdown) and I thought there was enough mat time for Roy to win 2 rounds. But I'm not exactly mad about the decision either.

The gut was probably a part of the gameplan. The heavier you are = the easier it is to stay on top. Makes taking the back a real bitch though haha.

machidako.gif

Whoever was most successful in the past, I think we will see fewer wrestlers on top after USADA. Cardio, strength and mass mostly favours wrestlers, and we have seen several wrestlers that used to look unbeatable an too strong, have really changed after USADA.

It still does favour the wrestler.

But if you are not well rounded. Somebody is going to Knock You The Fuck Out.

Usually its the wrestler, but now strikers are figuring out that all they really need is good TDD and the wrestler will be a fish out of water.

Aldo vs Frankie.

Wonderboy vs Hendricks.

Welcome to 2002.

The amount of wrestlers of various levels entering mma has always been high
The amount of high level strikers..not so much
Id really love to see some prime talented boxers ,lumpinee level muay thai champs and even high level tkd and karateka there too

Aldo vs Frankie.

Wonderboy vs Hendricks.

Chuck Vs everyone

I would say its more the judging that favours the wrestler rather than the cage. I think the cage favours the stalling wrestler who looks to press his opponent into it, spams ineffective takedowns to keep him at range and keeping "busy" with little elbows on the ground. The aggressive wrestler probably benefited from the Pride environment as it was much harder to escape the ground with no wall walking, longer rounds and you have knees on the ground which makes side control or north/south much more dangerous.

2cmn8cn.jpg

Coleman-vs-Goes-ko.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back