✦Wrestlers✦ vs. ✦Strikers✦ in the ✦UFC✦ historically

Status
Not open for further replies.
He sure should have. But i'm glad he didn't because he made it boring as hell & i've never liked him anyways :p

I guess it wasn't the most exciting thing out there and he looked so out of shape more then.. 'usual' even by his standards but just makes me thing if he was a fit fighter I have this wild idea that he wouldn't have lost the decision.. I feel people kind don't take him that serious just from first look type of things.

Heck if he didn't take that last punch or just even used 2-3 extra hits from top position no one could have stolen that win from him.

Again not that impressed with Black Beast either.. a man 10 years younger, bigger, stronger, hungrier and he got out wrestled and out clinched by Roy freaking Nelson.

The blue print is set.. if Roy can do that to him.. o shit.

This are at best middle of the pack guys and neither would have done anything with the W in the future.

I guess it wasn't the most exciting thing out there and he looked so out of shape more then.. 'usual' even by his standards but just makes me thing if he was a fit fighter I have this wild idea that he wouldn't have lost the decision.. I feel people kind don't take him that serious just from first look type of things.

Heck if he didn't take that last punch or just even used 2-3 extra hits from top position no one could have stolen that win from him.

Again not that impressed with Black Beast either.. a man 10 years younger, bigger, stronger, hungrier and he got out wrestled and out clinched by Roy freaking Nelson.

The blue print is set.. if Roy can do that to him.. o shit.

This are at best middle of the pack guys and neither would have done anything with the W in the future.
Roy was at like 264 or so wasn't he? He'd been slimming to the low 50s prior to that from what I remember.

Roy was at like 264 or so wasn't he? He'd been slimming to the low 50s prior to that from what I remember.

Oh he didn't have to cut weight for this one ?

Then why was he looking so.. flabby and loose I guess he is showing his age now for someone that out of shape and 40 years old plus all the punishment he takes every time he fights can't be good for him.

Wrestlers have always done well

I would say its more the judging that favours the wrestler rather than the cage. I think the cage favours the stalling wrestler who looks to press his opponent into it, spams ineffective takedowns to keep him at range and keeping "busy" with little elbows on the ground. The aggressive wrestler probably benefited from the Pride environment as it was much harder to escape the ground with no wall walking, longer rounds and you have knees on the ground which makes side control or north/south much more dangerous.

2cmn8cn.jpg

Coleman-vs-Goes-ko.gif

So much roids in these gifs... It took Coleman several sec to realize Goes was out.... TBH I think PRide FC has been really lucky there was no death or severe injuries there.

The mixed martial artists have come out on top.

My conclusion is that a strong grappling background brings the most success. Whether the grappling is used offensively or defensively varies. Some grapplers get very good at striking and only end up using their grappling when necessary (Chuck Liddell). Others use some stand up striking, but favor grappling as their primary focus (GSP, Couture).

Let's do it this way: list of UFC champions

Royce Gracie: Grappler
Dan Severn: wrestler.
Oleg Taktarov: grappler.
Ken Shamrock: grappler (trained some striking).
Don Frye: grappler and striker.
Mark Coleman: wrestler.
Mo Smith: Striker.
Randy Couture: wrestler.
Josh Barnett: catch wrestler.
Ricco: grappler.
Tim Sylvia: striker (but Miletich trained grappler too).
Pat Miletich: grappler
Carlos Newton: BJJ.
Matt Hughes: wrestler.
GSP: wrestler (with extensive striking).
Johnny Hendricks: both.
Robbie Lawler: both.
Woodley: both.
Tito:wrestler.
Frank Shamrock: grappler (but trained striking with Mo Smith).
Chuck Liddell: striker (had wrestling training).
Quinton Jackson: striker (wrestling background).
Forrest: striker
Rashad: both.
Machida: striker.
Jon Jones: both.
Cormier: wrestler.
Shogun: striker (BJJ too).
Jens Pulver: striker (with grappling training).
Penn: BJJ (extensive striking)
Frankie Edgar: both
Benson Henderson: both.
Anthony Pettis: striker.
RDA: both.
Alvarez: both.

Last edited:
I think GSP vs Matt Hughes is a good striker vs wrestler matchup

wrestlers in the past but strikers today doing well with good takedown defence and range control. time changed but both sides are improveing. in the past how the gracies wrecked up strikers but now strikers learned from that and improved. that makes mma very exiting to watch.

bruce lee told smth like "fighting is 60% wrestling and 40% striking".

Usually its the wrestler, but now strikers are figuring out that all they really need is good TDD and the wrestler will be a fish out of water.

Aldo vs Frankie.

Wonderboy vs Hendricks.

You use Frankie as someone who is a "fish out of water" when he can't take you down?

McGregor vs Mendes proves how GOAT the GOAT Conor was in a striking vs grappling match. The GOAT Conor beat Mendes in GOAT fashion

better question... who was a better striker than stipe with D1 wrestlers credentials??

I'd love to see actual statistics on this. I would imagine strikers have been doing better than wrestlers lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back