✦Wrestlers✦ vs. ✦Strikers✦ in the ✦UFC✦ historically

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see actual statistics on this. I would imagine strikers have been doing better than wrestlers lately.

Maybe, as far as all the fights go. Probably because there's much more strikers than wrestlers out there. But, as far as champs go, Stipe, Cormier, (Jones), Woodley, Khabib, Dillashaw, are all wrestlers or have wrestling background. Granted, especially Dillashaw barely uses it anymore. And Mighty Mouse is a pretty good wrestler too, he's just too small to use his skills on pretty much anyone. That basically leaves Holloway and Whitaker as the only striker champs at the moment. And I guess Conor, I don't know if you can count him anymore, though.

Whitaker has good TDD, but being smallish for the division might make him weak against a guy like Weidman. I still think he beats Romero again. Holloway is yet to face a top wrestler. Too bad the Frankie fight fell through. And too bad Frankie lost to Ortega, too, so we might not even get to see that fight, at least not for a while. But I also think Ortega might give Max a lot of trouble too.

Very difficult to have stats on this. We're in 2018 not 1993, fighters are well rounded.

Take for example Aldo vs Frankie : Aldo is of course an high level striker, but his wrestling defense is elite too. Same goes for Frankie but the other way around.

Wrestlers are a problem... Because if they are really good, they dont let strikers, strike freely.

Fear of the takedown

defends if the striker has good TDD like chuck liddell,

Most of the champions currently in the ufc are wrestlers. Thats all that matters. Strikers hardly ever stay champion long whike wrestlers tend to hold the belt longer. Id say wrestlers get the better of strikers more often than not.

Over the whole course of the UFC... Who has come out on top? It has always seemed the octagon cage traditionally favored the wrestler.
There are different types of wrestlers. Mainly have guys who good with shots and guys who have good clinch grappling. Then you have guys who rely on cage work for tds and you have guys who use strikes to setup tds. Its very diverse like mma striking is. Saying someone has good wrestling is like saying someone has good striking. Its varies on who their fighting.

Well this is 93-2013 I believe.

chart

http://scorecardmma.com/scmma/index.php/miscellanies/fight-end-methods/end-method-types

Even thought he fights offensively with his striking, Machida is not your typical striker who gets overwhelmed by grappling. Machida has a sumo wrestling background.

45cbfa75644d1f86ab31df83f04fbf4d.jpg

used to be almost always grapplers beating strikers

but a few years back guy started getting really good at gettin back up immediately after being talken down

I'd love to see actual statistics on this. I would imagine strikers have been doing better than wrestlers lately.

1. HW Champ / Former Champ: Wrestler / Wrestler
  2. LHW Champ / Former Champ: Wrestler / Wrestler
  3. MW Champ / Former Champ: Boxer / Wrestler
  4. WW Champ / Former Champ: Wrestler / Mixed fighter
  5. LW Champ / Former Champ: Wrestler / Boxer
  6. FW Champ / Former Champ: Boxer / Kickboxer
  7. BW Champ / Former Champ: Mixed fighter / Mixed fighter
  8. FLW Champ / Former Champ: Wrestler / Mixed fighter

Current Champs:

5 out of 8 (62.5%) of the current Champs are Wrestlers.
2 out of 8 (25%) of the current Champs are Strikers.
1 out of 8 (12.5%) of the current Champs are Mixed fighters.

Former Champs:

3 out of 8 (37.5%) of the former Champs are Wrestlers.
3 out of 8 (37.5%) of the former Champs are Mixed fighters.
2 out of 8 (25%) of former Champs are Strikers.

Came in here expecting stats....will see myself out...disappointed.

Imagine if wrestlers had knees to the head on the ground.....man

The amount of wrestlers of various levels entering mma has always been high
The amount of high level strikers..not so much
Id really love to see some prime talented boxers ,lumpinee level muay thai champs and even high level tkd and karateka there too
I think the reason we don't see many of these type of strikers entering MMA is bc they are just at too big a disadvantage early on.

A pure wrestler will always be better at GnP and subs than a pure striker will be at sprawling and TDD.

Imagine if wrestlers had knees to the head on the ground.....man
Or strikes to the back of the head.

These threads are just people trying to hype up striking, it's not more effective than wrestling and never will be, strikers can get lucky quick ko's or they learn to wrestle. Great wrestling with an iron chin is almost unstoppable.

Pride:Cro Cop Vs Coleman, Randleman
Vovchanchyn vs Coleman
Ufc
Lidell vs Ortiz, Couture
Overeem Vs Blaydes
Khabib Vs Conor, Barboza, Johnson
Aldo Vs Edgar
Machida Vs Bader, Davis
Sonnen vs Bisping, Silva, Stann
Cejudo vs Pettis

My conclusion is that a strong grappling background brings the most success. Whether the grappling is used offensively or defensively varies. Some grapplers get very good at striking and only end up using their grappling when necessary (Chuck Liddell). Others use some stand up striking, but favor grappling as their primary focus (GSP, Couture).

Let's do it this way: list of UFC champions

Royce Gracie: Grappler
Dan Severn: wrestler.
Oleg Taktarov: grappler.
Ken Shamrock: grappler (trained some striking).
Don Frye: grappler and striker.
Mark Coleman: wrestler.
Mo Smith: Striker.
Randy Couture: wrestler.
Josh Barnett: catch wrestler.
Ricco: grappler.
Tim Sylvia: striker (but Miletich trained grappler too).
Pat Miletich: grappler
Carlos Newton: BJJ.
Matt Hughes: wrestler.
GSP: wrestler (with extensive striking).
Johnny Hendricks: both.
Robbie Lawler: both.
Woodley: both.
Tito:wrestler.
Frank Shamrock: grappler (but trained striking with Mo Smith).
Chuck Liddell: striker (had wrestling training).
Quinton Jackson: striker (wrestling background).
Forrest: striker
Rashad: both.
Machida: striker.
Jon Jones: both.
Cormier: wrestler.
Shogun: striker (BJJ too).
Jens Pulver: striker (with grappling training).
Penn: BJJ (extensive striking)
Frankie Edgar: both
Benson Henderson: both.
Anthony Pettis: striker.
RDA: both.
Alvarez: both.
GSP started with karate then started competing. Later learned BJJ and then wrestling. He never competed in wrestling so you would have to call him a striker (that learned wrestling.)

Both win and lose, but when the striker gets into the matrix it is really fun

This topic is somewhat pointless with modern mma as most professionals are well rounded even if they specialize in one area. Typically a wrestler has the advantedge cause strikers usually are useless on the ground. That being said its really on an individual fighter basis.

It all depends on the fighter and their takedown defense/offense. Fights starting on the feet favor strikers and standups for stalling on the ground do too. Sprawl & Brawl. Thats how you beat a leg humper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back