✦Wrestlers✦ vs. ✦Strikers✦ in the ✦UFC✦ historically

Status
Not open for further replies.
A massive issue in terms of background is pay, good strikers typically have more earning potential in their own sports than wrestlers so need to be paid better from the start to switch, something the UFC rarely does. The same thing is happening with BJJ as well that's becoming a sport you can earn very good money teaching in and at some contests.

Wrestlers dominate the talent base now because their sport is generally very hard to earn a living in hence the draw to MMA is greater.

Last edited:
I’d like to a see a list of every UFC Champion and divide up the strikers and wrestlers.

I think there is something to be said about the culture and structure of training in wrestling.

Wrestlers are a part of a team and the teams are HEAVILY guided by coaches.

Wrestlers are expected to compete very often, at high level consolations and with a wide variety of opposition.

Striking is not like this. If a guy is good, he’s usually one of only a couple top level guys at the gym. He is “trained” by people he chooses.

I’ve seen this at top boxing and Muay Thai gyms. They simply don’t have the same structure the wrestlers do.

This is excluding top level amateur boxing gyms. But we don’t see them compete in mma and there are many more competitive wrestling teams.

machidako.gif
Good call, Machida beat Judo experts Nakamura and Soko, as well as wrestlers Ortiz, Evans, Couture, Bader, Hendo, CB...

Good call, Machida beat Judo experts Nakamura and Soko, as well as wrestlers Ortiz, Evans, Couture, Bader, Hendo, CB...
Yep and bear in mind lyoto is nowhere near a top tier karateka and look what he achieved

I’d like to a see a list of every UFC Champion and divide up the strikers and wrestlers.

I think there is something to be said about the culture and structure of training in wrestling.

Wrestlers are a part of a team and the teams are HEAVILY guided by coaches.

Wrestlers are expected to compete very often, at high level consolations and with a wide variety of opposition.

Striking is not like this. If a guy is good, he’s usually one of only a couple top level guys at the gym. He is “trained” by people he chooses.

I’ve seen this at top boxing and Muay Thai gyms. They simply don’t have the same structure the wrestlers do.

This is excluding top level amateur boxing gyms. But we don’t see them compete in mma and there are many more competitive wrestling teams.

I think the biggest advantage is "Wrestlers are expected to compete very often, at high level consolations and with a wide variety of opposition."

Most wrestlers coming to the UFC have competed so much. If they started wrestling in tournaments at 8-10, they've likely had 500+ matches before they get their first fight. They've dealt with being out there one on one and are prepared mentally for it.

Strikers just don't have that many competitive opportunities. Even if they have 20 kickboxing bouts and a few smoker type matches, they just haven't dealt with mental preperation of a one on one competition.

Practice is one thing, competition is a whole nother animal. Plenty of guys are awesome in practice and crack under pressure during competition.

it's 50/50 for strikers Vs grapplers
Holloway Vs Ortega
Gunnar Vs oliveira
blades Vs ngannou
cornier
Vs
lewis
Israel Vs brunson
Whittaker Vs Romero
Whittaker Vs Romero
Conor
Vs Mendez
khabib Vs Conor
miocic Vs cormier

That's 50%

I think fighters with granite chins tend to dominate MMA.

Imagine if wrestlers had knees to the head on the ground.....man

Shit goes both ways buddy

Remember Igor vs the Smashing machine

It's not about the art, it's about the artist

Usually its the wrestler, but now strikers are figuring out that all they really need is good TDD and the wrestler will be a fish out of water.

Aldo vs Frankie.

Wonderboy vs Hendricks.
You do realise that 2 fights dont just prove the whole thing
So in other words to be wrestling you need wrestling.

And those guys arent just strikers, Aldo's wrestling is so good. His takedown defense is one of the best.
To be fair Hendricks was on his way out during that time and post usada. Stephen Thompson's takedown defense is very solid mainly because of his footwork and movement, he is hard to grab a hold of.

A massive issue in terms of background is pay, good strikers typically have more earning potential in their own sports than wrestlers so need to be paid better from the start to switch, something the UFC rarely does. The same thing is happening with BJJ as well that's becoming a sport you can earn very good money teaching in and at some contests.

Wrestlers dominate the talent base now because their sport is generally very hard to earn a living in hence the draw to MMA is greater.

excellent point ^^^

I don't know it for a fact and I can't be bothered to do the research myself, but I think strikers will have more finishes and wrestlers will have more decision wins.
Normally I prefer the standup fights ( I'm Dutch, I have no choice), I do love actual exciting and competetive grappling matches as well but there seem to be less exciting grappling matches then striking matches.
The strikers win in my book at least.

I would say its more the judging that favours the wrestler rather than the cage. I think the cage favours the stalling wrestler who looks to press his opponent into it, spams ineffective takedowns to keep him at range and keeping "busy" with little elbows on the ground. The aggressive wrestler probably benefited from the Pride environment as it was much harder to escape the ground with no wall walking, longer rounds and you have knees on the ground which makes side control or north/south much more dangerous.

2cmn8cn.jpg

Coleman-vs-Goes-ko.gif
Fucking brutal!

Wrestlers have dominated since the early UFC. who can ever forget dan severn spiking macias multiple times a'la zangief.

Very good point. Guys like Izzy and Gane have shown the gap between high level striking and MMA striking. Boxing definitely has talent that would become UFC champions like Fury, Klitchos, AJ, Wilder etc. easier than any wrestler.

Very good point. Guys like Izzy and Gane have shown the gap between high level striking and MMA striking. Boxing definitely has talent that would become UFC champions like Fury, Klitchos, AJ, Wilder etc. easier than any wrestler.

Certainly and I wonder actually if the UFC monopoly is ever broken and fighters start getting a higher percentage of the income whether we might start to see a lot of boxers trying MMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back