1,000 sick with Norovirus at 32 schools in northern California's Yolo County

Had it once as well. Absolutely awful. I remember standing up to take a piss while in the hospital and just shitting all over myself.
Damn bro. What is your picture of some dope looking anime flick I'm assuming

The only way to settle this is to get a doctor in here.

Come to think of it, from what many of you are describing, I dont think you people had norwalk virus. I have been diagnosed by doctor as having norovirus before. Never have I shat my own pants.

Norovirus is the most common "stomach bug".
We don't need a doctor. You can do a simple google search. or read the article originally linked in this thread.

or its own page on the Center for Disease Control
https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/

Is it a stomach bug? yes, there are a zillion stomach bugs. But its incrementally worse than the average stomach bug. If you vomited your problem out in 4 hours and then felt ok, you did not have Norovirus, you had a generic stomach bug or some food toxins.

And it does not need food as a transmission vector. It can be transmitted that way, but it can be transmitted dozens of different ways too. its a highly contagious virus.

I used to live in Toluca, Mexico while doing an engineering program down there at Delphi. During my stay I had something very similar and it lasted 3 weeks. It took me 6 months to adjust to the water, shit sucked.

Thats called Montezumas revenge, never drink the tap water in Mexico even taking a shower in some of those mexican towns can give you travelers Diarrhea.

Norovirus, is a virus. It can be considered food poisoning if certain criteria apply. Food poisoning of food contaminated with Bacteria or Bacteria Toxins, Parasites, virus. Unless you mean catching it from someone infected with norovirus preparing your food, then I guess you can call it food poisoning.

But Noroviruses do not need food as a vector. Its a highly contagious virus that needs very little viral particles to be absorbed for someone to catch it. If someone sick with it has contaminated hands(Which happens a lot when people puke, cough, get spit on their hands and then just rince it when they are sick instead of doing the full soap wash)presses an elevator button and you press that same button and rub your eyes(or eat a mint before washing your hands), you are probably going to catch it. It stays on surfaces for a long time.

One thing is 100% sure. If you got over it in 4 hours, you did not have Norovirus, you had mild food poisoning or a mild stomach bug. no matter how strong your constitution, you do not get over Norwalk in 4 hours. You don't just vomit it out like a bad hotdog. its not a toxin you can purge from your body(Which sounds like what you are describing). Once you have the virus, it saturates your body. And you will be contagious to others weeks after you feel better.

Yeah I think he is confusing it with mild food poisoning or eating something that doesn't sit well with you.

you will not know if you have the norovirus until after the first dump, when your body starts to ache and you are not relieved and have to constantly go tot he restroom.

with mild food poisoning or eating a food that doesn't sit well with you, you get instant relief after either taking a dump or puking, with the norovirus you do not get the nausea until 4 to 5 hours of eating the food or if you are contaminated in other ways like rubbing eyes or touching a contaminated object it takes longer to get into the system so it might take a day or two to get the symptoms.

You cannot expell the norovirus from puking lol. its already in your system everyone pukes on that virus, yet they still get the wet farts and runs for days and aching muscles, and groggy weak tired body.

So basically if you puked and the nausea indigestion went away after a few hours you do not have norovirus, norovirus continues one for a few days and doesn't go away, you also do not have appetite and don't even want to drink fluids.

So yeah he is confusing it with mild food poisoning, Ive had both, Ive also had Salmonella.

Norovirus is like food poisoning on steroids . . . similar symptoms, but way more serious.

The only way to settle this is to get a doctor in here.

Come to think of it, from what many of you are describing, I dont think you people had norwalk virus. I have been diagnosed by doctor as having norovirus before. Never have I shat my own pants.

Norovirus is the most common "stomach bug".

Brother did you have a Third world doctor or what? lol

He didn't diagnose you properly, you telling us we never had Norovirus yet you claim you had it but got over it in a few hours by vomiting? your doctor is credentialed or a witch doctor?

Read the article man, all the students were shiitting with diarrhea and also look at the Chipotle norovirus outbreak.

My friend who ate at the vegan place with me also got norovirus we bought the same salad as well as several people they had to close the store down for a few weeks and it was in our local paper.

You didnt have norovirus, you had a mild stomach irritation from food that was gone bad or didnt sit well, Ive had that many times it goes away once you either puke or take a dump.

Norovirus doesn't leave your system that easily its also highly contagious and unlike other viruses it lasts pretty long on surfaces and blankets for several days.

all it takes is one sick kid to sahre his fidget spinner at lunch, then bam norovisu outbreak

This is kind of funny. Let's be real. Hopefully it spreads and the whole state shits themselves.

We don't need a doctor. You can do a simple google search. or read the article originally linked in this thread.

or its own page on the Center for Disease Control
https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/

Is it a stomach bug? yes, there are a zillion stomach bugs. But its incrementally worse than the average stomach bug. If you vomited your problem out in 4 hours and then felt ok, you did not have Norovirus, you had a generic stomach bug or some food toxins.

And it does not need food as a transmission vector. It can be transmitted that way, but it can be transmitted dozens of different ways too. its a highly contagious virus.

That CDC website is not any different than what I have already read or been told.

Nausea, diarrhea are just attempts by your body to rid itself of something harmful. The virus or any bacteria does not actually do it. It is the body responding to the virus or something in an attempt to rid itself.

Norovirus is colloguially considered the generic bug. It is the most common cause of gastro-enteritis.

Brother did you have a Third world doctor or what? lol

He didn't diagnose you properly, you telling us we never had Norovirus yet you claim you had it but got over it in a few hours by vomiting? your doctor is credentialed or a witch doctor?

Read the article man, all the students were shiitting with diarrhea and also look at the Chipotle norovirus outbreak.

My friend who ate at the vegan place with me also got norovirus we bought the same salad as well as several people they had to close the store down for a few weeks and it was in our local paper.

You didnt have norovirus, you had a mild stomach irritation from food that was gone bad or didnt sit well, Ive had that many times it goes away once you either puke or take a dump.

Norovirus doesn't leave your system that easily its also highly contagious and unlike other viruses it lasts pretty long on surfaces and blankets for several days.

I will trust my doctors. I will say no more.

Damn lol. Its like one of those virus goes wild movies, except with poop instead of death

People do die from dehydration when they get diarrhea. If you get it, pound the fluids.

People do die from dehydration when they get diarrhea. If you get it, pound the fluids.

yup, diarrhea will dehydrate you big time, shitting constantly was horrible, I had to force myself to sip on Gatorade and pdialyte. I ate nothing for the first 3 days, I would nibble on a cracker here and there and try to sip on soups but couldn't finish it. The food just goes right thru you when you get this.

yup, diarrhea will dehydrate you big time, shitting constantly was horrible, I had to force myself to sip on Gatorade and pdialyte. I ate nothing for the first 3 days, I would nibble on a cracker here and there and try to sip on soups but couldn't finish it. The food just goes right thru you when you get this.

Sweet Merciful Goodness that sounds terrible. Lord have mercy.

Nearly 1,000 students, teachers and staff in 32 schools in northern California's Yolo County have contracted the gastrointestinal illness norovirus, the county announced Friday.

"Over 952 students, teachers and staff are sick with stomach cramps, vomiting and/or diarrhea in schools throughout Yolo County," the county said in a press release, citing the findings of the Yolo County Health & Human Services Agency.

"The number of sick people is increasing every day at a very alarming rate," the release continues. "The outbreak has been identified and confirmed by specimen testing to be the norovirus which is highly contagious. norovirus commonly spreads through touching surfaces contaminated with the virus, close contact with someone who is infected or eating contaminated food or drink."

Aside from public schools, the University of California, Davis, is also affected. Yolo County includes the area west of Sacramento.

Dr. Ron Chapman, Yolo County's Public Health Officer, is urging residents to stay home if there is any sign of illness such as stomach pain, fever, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. He is also urging people to stay home for an additional 48 hours after symptoms are gone.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/nearly-1-...-northern-090202998--abc-news-topstories.html

my state need to start softening up the pussy asses in cali

Gatorade should not be used for oral rehydration in cases of severe diarrhea. The sugars present in the amount in which they're present in Gatorade can and do irritate the lining of the small intestines.

You should use Oral Rehydration Solution mixed either from OR Salts or pre-constituted ORS in the form of Pedialyte.

If your doctor suggested you drink plenty of Gatorade, he or she needs to have their medical license revoked. You likely extended the duration of the shits by drinking Gatorade instead of a real ORS.

Not sure how true this is but My friend told me it usually spreads from human feces like a dirty farm worker wiping his ass and than touching the produce when picking and packing it.

Unless you've got IBS or are lactose intolerant or something, pretty much every time you've ever had diarrhea, it was because some kind of bug got from someone else's ass to your mouth.

It will really make you feel weak, like you can barely get up, it hits you hard but whats strange is it wont hit you until a few hours later and it hits hard like an acute attack very strange stuff.

My mom and dad and brother got sick too, its extremely contagious. My mom was handling my laundry and washed her hands with soap really good cooked food for the family and a few hours later she got sick too and then my dad and brother, my sisters didn't get sick because they didn't eat the food my mom cooked.

That stuff is contagious even antibacterial soap doesn't kill it completely if my mom as able to transfer it too the food after washing her hands. It also lasts on surface for 7 days, shit doesnt die easily, a lot of viruses will die off within a few hours on counters, not the Noro.

Good thing my mom bought like 15 electrolyte bottles because we were all bed ridden for a few days, I was already getting better but the doctor said don't go out for another day or two and clean your rooms and wash and bleach your beddings, clothes etc.

You were shedding virus before you were symptomatic. If your mother started exhibiting symptoms only four hours after she handled your things, she had already contracted the virus long before you started exhibiting symptoms.

The correct practice for foods, particularly vegetables you will be consuming is to let them soak in a 0.1-0.5% chlorine solution before using them in foods.

Congratz. You just confused Norovirus with food poisoning

If you get Norovirus, you won't be ejecting it in 4 hours. You have days of misery ahead, beyond even the puking. Your whole body will be misery even after you stop puking.

And for the record, yes handwashing is important. But the most common way people get this virus is to do something stupid like rub their eyes in public.

NEVER touch your eyes in public. that's basically the #1 way, above even airborne contamination, to get sick with anything. People think "Don't put hands in mouth till washing" and conveniently forget touching their eyes, nose, etc is the exact same thing. Touching something like a doorknob or an elevator button and then rubbing an eye because of a crumb.

People can respond to the same gastroenteritis causing pathogen with varying degrees of severity. Severe forms of cholera can cause death in 5-6 hours from the initial onset of symptoms. OTOH, 70-80% of people who contract it will remain almost completely asymptomatic. Likewise, with norovirus, the lesser responses are more common, as are strains that cause less severe symptoms in general. Most of the shits that people get is caused by a norovirus. You and TidWell contracted particularly memorable strains, but I guarantee you you've had norovirus multiple times in the past.

Back