1-6 Punching Sequence...

Stubbed00

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've recently been going to a boxing gym where my trainer does a sequence like this..
1. Jab
2. Cross
3. Lead hook
4. Rear uppercut
5. Lead uppercut
6. Rear overhand

However, I was looking up boxing combos to practice and noticed that Punch #4 is a "Rear hook" on 85% of the articles..

Those articles went like this:
1. Jab
2. Cross
3. Lead Hook
4. Rear Hook
5. Lead Uppercut
6. Rear Uppercut

I spent 30 minutes googling, trying figure out why this is. It's probably obvious and right in front of my face somewhere.. However I figured a simple post can solve it for me.

I'd like to look up combos for the correct one I SHOULD be doing, but don't know what to even type to search for them...

A lot of gyms won't teach a rear hook because it's such a risky punch.

When I say a lot btw, I don't mean a majority, but enough that it's noteworthy.

Is there a name for the sequence he's training me in? So when I google combos to learn it goes off that instead of a totally different one.

it is not realistic to throw such long combos unless your ray leonard. i'm not saying don't practice it in the gym, but don't waste too much time working on it. also the best punch to follow the right uppercut is the left hook. the uppercut is meant to lift the head to expose the chin for a left hook or right hand, so there isn't a lot of merit doubling up on uppercuts. also the uppercut leaves you more vulnerable than any other punch in boxing, so be careful how and when you use it.

I don't think throwing 2 uppercuts in a row is a good idea. Even if you are just throwing punches to lose weight it's still not good to get those neurological patterns ingrained into your muscle memory.

Is there a name for the sequence he's training me in? So when I google combos to learn it goes off that instead of a totally different one.
I would ask him politely why he has you throwing 2 uppercuts in a row. Be respectful when you ask. Especially if that's the only boxing gym in your area. No need to burn bridges.

A lot of gyms won't teach a rear hook because it's such a risky punch.
This. I was taught to use the overhand instead of rear hook. Didn't "learn" the rear hook but ended up coming naturally.

That being said, I know he's a southpaw but Errol Spence has the best rear left hook I've ever seen. Especially the way he finished Algieri and Peterson

I would ask him politely why he has you throwing 2 uppercuts in a row. Be respectful when you ask. Especially if that's the only boxing gym in your area. No need to burn bridges.

The trainer at the gym seems to know what he's doing. Tons of reviews on google/facebook. Always heard its the best around. I'm already in shape as it is, been bulking/cutting for the past 2 years. I joined boxing to do tournaments. I go to my gym in the neighborhood on my off days because it has a heavy bag, its annoying not knowing what combos to do because I'm being taught a whole different sequence than what I'm reading.

if there was a name for this sequence he's teaching me I could easily google combos for it and not stress as much. I will ask him next time I go why he chooses the sequence he's teaching me over the other

Last edited:
Different schools have different number systems, it's an arbitrary coding tool-- not etched in stone one way or another. Just like different gyms use different code words for when they're yelling to their fighters in the ring what to do without the other side knowing what they are saying.

The number system is not a meaningful "code", it's just used for its simplicity because a number is shorter and less of a mouthful to say quickly than the full names of whichever punches they want you to do.

---

The rear hook isn't taught in most gyms (just like there is no lead/left cross)-- you can do it if you can get away with it but it's not a fundamental punch. It lacks a lot of the mechanics that make a lead hook useful.

Instead, you just have a #2 or right straight hand with the understanding that if you need to bend it in certain circumstances, then you can. But it's still just called a right hand.

Different schools have different number systems, it's an arbitrary tool-- not etched in stone one way or another.

The rear hook isn't taught in most gyms-- you can do it if you can get away with it but it's not a fundamental punch. It lacks a lot of the mechanics that make a lead hook useful.

Instead, you just have a #2 or right straight hand with the understanding that if you need to bend it in certain circumstances, then you can. But it's still just called a right hand.
that's always the way i have viewed it. to say it is a right hook and is different to a right hand, just gives beginners the excuse to keep throwing shitty rights.

@Stubbed00 the more important question is how are you moving when doing this combo is he having you just stand stationary while throwing six punch combos? Does he spend time teaching how to do footwork, manage distance, and give you some information on why to throw some things and when to throw some things?

Two uppercuts in a row ain’t a bad thing especially if you incorporate level changes, pivots or stepping. It’s on e of my favorite combos and beautiful when done by guys like Mike McCallum. The important thing though is getting the tools to be able to do those things

I've recently been going to a boxing gym where my trainer does a sequence like this..
1. Jab
2. Cross
3. Lead hook
4. Rear uppercut
5. Lead uppercut
6. Rear overhand

However, I was looking up boxing combos to practice and noticed that Punch #4 is a "Rear hook" on 85% of the articles..

Those articles went like this:
1. Jab
2. Cross
3. Lead Hook
4. Rear Hook
5. Lead Uppercut
6. Rear Uppercut

I spent 30 minutes googling, trying figure out why this is. It's probably obvious and right in front of my face somewhere.. However I figured a simple post can solve it for me.

I'd like to look up combos for the correct one I SHOULD be doing, but don't know what to even type to search for them...

Certain punches should be thrown due to the first effective punch landed. The Jab lands first, then you throw the right hand because the jab blinds your opponents, then setting up your power punch, your right hand, then the left hook because you opponents are blinded with the right hand and their head is turned away from you, setting up the left hook, then your opponents will raise their hands to protect their faces and this sets up your body liver attack and last is the uppercut punches, then stepping back with your hands up and sliding, or stepping over.

Lead uppercuts are usually only thrown when your opponents use a higher guard defensive style, like Winky and other boxers like Mike Tyson, watch Tyson vs Razor Ruddock and his leading with the uppercut and doing serious damage to Tyson even rocked him.

So it should be.
Jab
Right hand
Left hook
Body shot
Body shot liver
uppercut
jab
jab step over and step back, hands up protecting yourself and moving around your opponents avoiding their right or left counter punches.

Punches should be thrown in combos of 4 or 5, due to the opponents protecting themselves while covering up and not throwing back, while you anticipate and catch and counter attack or a simple wild street fight head down attack.

Also remember to place your damaging power punches to certain vital organs and head shots, like the liver, solar plexus and temple to the head and back of the ear drum, also the eye socket and nose and floating ribs and center abdominal core or stomach era.

Fighters just don't throw wild punches everywhere like amateur fighters and MMA fighters, just watch Chavez sr and his body attack and head attack and watch Floyd and their pinpoint placement of their attack to their opponents and Chavez sr high knockout rate, because of this and not just punching power.

Also study Whitaker and his head movement and still standing there and slipping punches while attacking with pinpoint body liver punches and head attack.

Also the body punch to the liver makes your opponents bend over setting up the uppercut and another hook punch, or center abdominal body shot, watch Tyson and his combo liver shot and uppercut.

Back