10 Reasons Why JUSTICE LEAGUE Flopped at the U.S. Box Office

Superman is dumb, but let's not forget that Doomsday is basically a supercharged Kryptonian monster. Doomsday should be able to kill Superman pretty easily.
But Superman is ridiculously overpowered, and he is retarded in how he uses his power.
He never seems to use his speed--and he just punches shit like neanderthal.
Doesn't even use any leg kicks.

Yes but while Doomsday's stronger than Supes, super strength is his only power when they fought.

Supes' super speed is supposedly second only to Flash. If Mighty Mouse has super speed, he'd take down Brock Lesnar with ease.

Superman should be fighting like a Super Saiyan but instead he struts and sashays around and fights in slo-mo like he's expecting Lois Lane to be hiding in a corner taking videos of him saving the city to post on Liveleak.com

nMH6mqF.gif
1baKji.gif

Edit: My bad. I googled and found out Doomsday supposedly has super speed too. In that case, both Doomsday and Superman are dumb. Perhaps Kryptonians are genetically all physically gifted but mentally retarded.

Yes but while Doomsday's stronger than Supes, super strength is his only power when they fought.

Supes' super speed is supposedly second only to Flash. If Mighty Mouse has super speed, he'd take down Brock Lesnar with ease.

Superman should be fighting like a Super Saiyan but instead he struts and sashays around and fights in slo-mo like he's expecting Lois Lane to be hiding in a corner taking videos of him saving the city to post on Liveleak.com

nMH6mqF.gif
1baKji.gif
I agree that he should definitely be more on the Saiyan level--and this is the problem with characters like Flash and Superman, or anyone with speed. If you're that fast, then there really is nothing a character that doesn't have speed can do against you.
I don't know the answer here, but are we assuming that Doomsday wouldn't have super speed as well? He is Kryptonian. He should have super speed as well.
And yea, just checked the Superman wiki..and it says speed are also a part of Doomsday's powers.

"Doomsday has Invulnerability probably greater than that of a normal Kryptonian; as well as Super Strength, Super Speed, and incredible leaping ability.

He also has numerous sharp bony protrusions, which can pierce Kryptonian skin. In Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey, he was shown to be able to shoot these bones at a target, and then reel them back in via some sort of tendon. He can also heal great wounds very quickly.

One of his signature abilities is his regeneration. When he is killed, he comes back to life, resistant to whatever killed him."

Wouldn't say they got lucky, they just got better and quickly. They fumbled the first Hulk and the 2nd and 3rd Iron Man movies were average, as was the First Thor, but at least their overarching plan was strong. Also even though the movies I mentioned weren't good, they at least weren't a complete bore to watch.

DC should have followed up on the success of Batman with a few solid solo movies and built from there, but IMO they overreacted to the negative press MoS received, panicked and shit the bed. I actually enjoyed MoS, but I'm in the minority there.

I thought I answered this; guess I didn't ?

First off, Ang Lee's Hulk is the best Hulk movie, and it wasn't intended to be part of the Avengers.

Secondly, you're right. I thought IM2 was the first post-credit scene -- that is where I was going with "lucky"; I thought the success of IM was the impetus for the Avengers, but "The Avenges Initiative" was introduced in IM1. So even while conceiving the Avengers universe, they plotted the course very methodically, releasing one movie at a time. DC could have and should have done that. Look at how good Wonder Woman was compared to BvS and JLA. Coulda been something.

Overall the DCU has been and is a COMPLETE MESS! Just like in the real world, Marvel beats DC ASS!

the fucking template is all there for these bozos who are trying to create a DC universe

just watch the Justice League animated series ffs

Superman/Batman animated series has more than enough source material to draw from

fuck you Zack Snyder
agree. They should Just make movies of the DC animated universe.
Instant greatness.

Update: January 9, 2018

Sue Kroll Axed as WB's Marketing Head, Toby Emmerich Promoted to WB Chairman

As Warner Bros. shakes up its top executive ranks, Sue Kroll is stepping down as the president of worldwide marketing and distribution, while Toby Emmerich has been named chairman of the Warner Bros. Pictures Group with full oversight of worldwide theatrical production, marketing and distribution.

As part of Warners' reorganization, Blair Rich will head global theatrical and home entertainment marketing as president, worldwide marketing, Warner Bros. Pictures Group and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. Ron Sanders will serve as president, worldwide distribution, Warner Bros. Pitures Group, assuming responsibility for global theatrical distribution while retaining his role as president, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.

In a memo to staff, Tsujihara noted that the restructuring is meant to make the studio "more competitive in the global marketplace."

Kroll has had one of the longest tenures in Hollywood of any female executive, having been at the studio for 24 years. She will become a studio-based producer at Warners with offices in the Jack Warner bungalow. Kroll will be attached as producer to the upcoming films A Star Is Born and Motherless Brooklyn when she moves into her new producing role on April 1.

Until then, Kroll will work with Tsujihara as a special advisor on the restructuring of the studio's film and home entertainment divisions. She also will continue to oversee awards campaigns for Dunkirk and Wonder Woman as well as advise on select studio releases such as Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One, which will be released in March.

Emmerich and Kroll, along with Greg Silverman, were named to a triumvirate running the studio under Tsujihara in 2013, but now only Emmerich remains. In December 2016, Silverman was ousted as the studio's president of worldwide production and replaced with Emmerich, the then-head of New Line.

In June 2016, Kroll extended her contract with the Burbank-based studio in a multiyear deal. She originally joined Warner Bros. in 1994 and has been one of the film division’s senior-most marketing executives for nearly two decades, serving first as senior vp, international marketing and then president, international marketing, from 2000-2007.

In 2008, Kroll was elevated to president, worldwide marketing. and in 2013, she added responsibility for international distribution to her purview; in 2015, she was named president, worldwide marketing and distribution.

During Kroll's tenure, the film division has crossed the $1 billion mark domestically and internationally in each of the last 18 years; in 2009, Warner Bros. became the first major studio to cross $4 billion in a single year without the addition of secondary division’s receipts; and in 2013, Warner Bros. Pictures became only the second studio in history to cross $5 billion in global box office. Last year was the biggest year in the studio’s history, with $5.13 billion in global box office. But while Warners enjoyed major successes with Wonder Woman and It, its big superhero tentpoles Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad and, most recently, Justice League, underperformed in theaters.

Kroll was behind the campaigns for the studio's billion-dollar franchises like Harry Potter and Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, and during her tenure the studio also won the best picture Oscar for Argo and received best picture nominations for such films as The Blind Side, Inception, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, Gravity, Her, American Sniper and Mad Max: Fury Road.

Warner Bros. Shake-Up: Sue Kroll Steps Down as Marketing Head, Toby Emmerich Promoted to WB Chairman

Update: January 11, 2018

WB Marketing Head Sue Kroll Demotion Reportedly Due to No Superman in JUSTICE LEAGUE Marketing

Warner Bros.’ disappointing “Justice League” has been called a "Frankenstein" — a mess of a movie patched together by too many parties, including two directors. But the studio hopes a major shakeup will make for a more streamlined process, and more successful superhero films.

After surviving two awkward years of greenlighting-by-committee, newly-minted Warner Bros. Pictures Chairman Toby Emmerich will now answer to no one but Warner Bros. Entertainment CEO Kevin Tsujihara.

“Toby has green light, I have red light,” Tsujihara told TheWrap.

The company announced Tuesday that 23-year veteran marketing chief Sue Kroll would step down to a producer gig. She was previously part of a committee to greenlight new film productions, a power that now solely belongs to Emmerich.

Fewer cooks in the kitchen will mean not just better decisions on what films to make, but on how to market them, one WB insider told TheWrap.

One marketing decision that seems misguided in retrospect? Excluding Henry Cavill’s Superman from “Justice League” advertising, in order to preserve the so-called surprise that the Man of Steel didn’t really die in “Batman v Superman.”

“The bizarre decision not to have Superman included in the marketing stopped ‘Justice League’ from potentially hitting $100 million opening weekend,” the insider said.

Of course, maybe Warner Bros. just wanted to conceal an inconvenient mustache.

Kroll had her successes, including the mega-hit “Wonder Woman.”

“There’s intense scrutiny on everything we do, particularly in this world, in the DC superhero universe,” she said in a June interview to promote “Wonder Woman.”

But another insider, one familiar with Kroll’s thinking, said there may have been a simple reason for her struggles making “Justice League” fly: “She hated superhero movies.”

A Warner Bros. rep had no comment on the matter. When asked for comment, Kroll told TheWrap that it’s “simply not true” that she hates superhero movies.

“I love superhero movies. I’ve always considered it an honor to market films that fans feel so passionately about. And I think our track record stands for itself,” Kroll said. “As for the ‘Justice League’ campaign, I stand behind everything we did. It was a strategic and creative campaign, and I am immensely proud of the work done by all of us.”

Warner Bros. is currently second place to Walt Disney, home of Marvel, now the gold-standard of comic book cinematic universes.

Tsujihara says he wants Emmerich to help DC Films find their own identity, rather than copying Marvel.

“Warner Bros needs to continue doing what it’s always done: producing the biggest, most diverse slate in the business. That’s what’s made us successful. We can’t do what Disney’s done. It’s worked really, really well for them, but it’s not who we are. We need to continue to create a balanced slate of all types of movies and all genres,” Tsujihara said.

What Warner Bros.’ Shake-Up Means for DC Films: Fewer Cooks, Finally

Demoted for not spoiling the finale? How about you don't write dumb scripts where you leave Superman dead at the end of a movie so you can't market him for the next one?

What is with Hollywood wanting to spoil movies before they are released? Personally, I liked that they had no Superman in the promos.

Goddamn this movie sucked.

It took me and the missus like 5 nights to finally get through it all. We either kept falling asleep or switching to something else. All we kept doing throughout the whole week-long process was bitch about how fake everything looked. She even balked at the villains name "Steppenwolf? Sounds like the antagonist of a dance movie."

Last edited:
Demoted for not spoiling the finale? How about you don't write dumb scripts where you leave Superman dead at the end of a movie so you can't market him for the next one?
I agree that killing Superman was fucking stupid so early into the DC franchise, it wasn't like we all didn't know he wasn't really dead. You can't have a JL movie without Superman.
This whole thing was really, really stupid.
God it pisses me off how WB fucked this franchise up already.
The Dark Knight Returns and the Death of Superman are GOAT stories that deserved their own movies. They crammed it all into one and did horrible job of it.

Now that you killed Superman in a movie already, you can't kill him again. So we know there will never be any real danger for him going forward
They should have advertised him though in some form. Because we know he ain't dead anyways. The appeal of BvsS was they were together. Nobody cares about Batman and the B team when you have a Superman.

I agree that killing Superman was fucking stupid so early into the DC franchise, it wasn't like we all didn't know he wasn't really dead. You can't have a JL movie without Superman.
This whole thing was really, really stupid.
God it pisses me off how WB fucked this franchise up already.
The Dark Knight Returns and the Death of Superman are GOAT stories that deserved their own movies. They crammed it all into one and did horrible job of it.

Now that you killed Superman in a movie already, you can't kill him again. So we know there will never be any real danger for him going forward
They should have advertised him though in some form. Because we know he ain't dead anyways. The appeal of BvsS was they were together. Nobody cares about Batman and the B team when you have a Superman.

If he came back in the first or second act maybe, but not when he is the deus ex machina of the finale. Even if you tried you'd get shit for false advertising including someone who was barely in the movie. Ultimately I think marketing was in a no win situation thanks to the scripts of JL and BvS

I did think that was kind of dumb that they didn't feature Superman in the trailer. It does not matter if its a spoiler since Thor Ragnorok spoiled the Hulk in the battle arena surprise and that Kingsmen 2 shows Harry being alive

I don't know about you guys but I sure haven't had enough of Supes dying.

It would have been a slap in the face to the audience to feature such a prominent scene in the advertisements. Might as well just say that you shouldn't take any of our storylines seriously(even though we already didn't).

Back