10 Reasons Why JUSTICE LEAGUE Flopped at the U.S. Box Office

I think everyone is overlooking that it's Superman. He's a solution to every possible problem. He had to be dead for this movie to work, but he also had to be in it for Superman fans to give a shit about it. You have to make it seem like the rest of the JL has a challenge ahead of them, but you also have to let Superman fans know he'll be there to save the day.

Basically the character is a nightmare for anyone looking to create and market believable, suspenseful, surprising stories about conflict and crime-fighters. I can't fault anyone for having trouble marketing him ever, let alone in this rush job that followed the atrocity of BvS.

Demoted for not spoiling the finale? How about you don't write dumb scripts where you leave Superman dead at the end of a movie so you can't market him for the next one?

This. Looks like they've learned nothing. Blaming the marketing instead of the movies.

If he came back in the first or second act maybe, but not when he is the deus ex machina of the finale. Even if you tried you'd get shit for false advertising including someone who was barely in the movie. Ultimately I think marketing was in a no win situation thanks to the scripts of JL and BvS

Never should've killed him in the first place but since they did they should've just kept him dead, at least for this movie.

Didn't they show the ground flying at the end of BvS just a heads up that it ain't over for Supes.

Then didn't we get social media posts from Supes actor ? what exactly was the big secret again that you can't use him in marketing.

You have the 3 big names like Batman / Superman / Wonder Woman you press on with them and you focus on WW since she has recent great success plus she is a sexy woman duh the heck is it hard to even make a choice in marketing.

The thing was that to many movies were split among the fans and fatigue also set in so close to Thor for another big movie to open that has a lot of baggage from Batfleck to poor results.

Last edited:
I did think that was kind of dumb that they didn't feature Superman in the trailer. It does not matter if its a spoiler since Thor Ragnorok spoiled the Hulk in the battle arena surprise and that Kingsmen 2 shows Harry being alive
From a marketing standpoint, it was a bad decision not to feature Superman in the promos as it cost Justice League $10-$15 million (estimate) additional revenue from casual moviegoers that might have been enticed to check out the movie and save the studio embarrassment from the fact that JL not only didn't even reach $100 million on its opening weekend, it has the lowest opening for a DCEU film ever.

What is with Hollywood wanting to spoil movies before they are released? Personally, I liked that they had no Superman in the promos.
As I said in the OP, I also liked the fact that they kept Superman out of the marketing.

09cQHrq.gif

@Dragonlordxxxxx

(Second slide)

Kinda pump too see if they just stick with solo films and retcon BVS and JL. I think DCEU has potential if they just stuck with solo films and make a good stamdalone movies.

3. Rotten Tomatoes "cover-up" and score
O8II5l4.jpg

Rotten Tomatoes has become a very popular review aggregation website to the general public. So when RT withheld its score for Justice League to promote their Facebook show See It/Skip It (they also withheld their scores for other movies even before this), the public mistakenly thought it meant that JL must be really bad due to the embargo since Warner Bros. has a minority stake in RT. That incident and along with the actual RT score of 40% discouraged a lot of moviegoers to seeing BvS.
The public wasn't mistaken. They wielded common sense. The jig is up for RT. Everybody knows these critic review aggregators are bullshit, now:
It Sure Feels Like Rotten Tomatoes Is Covering For 'Justice League' [Update]

I just saw this the other day. It wasn't bad, but a different perspective and tone than the recent Marvel movies.

I didn't care for the flash character, he was lame. The Cyborg wasn't that swift either. I'm not that big on Comic Characters, but Marvel seems to stack their movies with a bigger array of better characters overall?

Its too bad Marvel doesn't incorporate BLADE into one of their Avenger Flicks.

The movie was just terrible.Terrible humor, terrible CGI, overpowered Superman, Superman acting like a weirdo, having weird mustache, villain is super generic, cyborg acting like an emo.

It didn't even feel like they were in trouble at all, especially when superman arrived. It was just boring. I don't think there's a need to analyze this too deeply. It was just a shit movie, just like TLJ. At least now they understand that they can't just make a movie out of a known franchise and get away with it when they make bad stories.

The movie was just terrible.Terrible humor, terrible CGI, overpowered Superman, Superman acting like a weirdo, having weird mustache, villain is super generic, cyborg acting like an emo.

It didn't even feel like they were in trouble at all, especially when superman arrived. It was just boring. I don't think there's a need to analyze this too deeply. It was just a shit movie, just like TLJ. At least now they understand that they can't just make a movie out of a known franchise and get away with it when they make bad stories.
It tried tooo hard to be like avengers.

They just need to focus on good story standalone movies.

If Aquaman is bad and WW2 is bad DC is FFUUUUUCCCCKED

Fuck the nay sayers, Man of Steel was awesome and BvS was very enjoyable, yes with flaws but it's just a fun film.

If money is what sets the bar for amazing films then Transformers are the best films in the world and David Fincher movies suck.

Marvel have struck gold with some of their films (IW, Civil War, Avengers 1, Winter Soldier, Ragnarok etc.) and they deserve it, they work amazingly hard but anyone who tries to say that BvS or JL is worse than Captain America 1, Thor 1 & 2 etc is a deluded, retarded, DC hater. Marvel have made some pure shite.

JL for me however was a let down unfortunately, I don't have hope for Aquaman either, don't see what he brings to the table?

Fuck the nay sayers, Man of Steel was awesome and BvS was very enjoyable, yes with flaws but it's just a fun film.

If money is what sets the bar for amazing films then Transformers are the best films in the world and David Fincher movies suck.

Marvel have struck gold with some of their films (IW, Civil War, Avengers 1, Winter Soldier, Ragnarok etc.) and they deserve it, they work amazingly hard but anyone who tries to say that BvS or JL is worse than Captain America 1, Thor 1 & 2 etc is a deluded, retarded, DC hater. Marvel have made some pure shite.

JL for me however was a let down unfortunately, I don't have hope for Aquaman either, don't see what he brings to the table?
I defended BvS. Still do.
JL was impossibly bad. But man... I hope to god DC gets their shit together for Aquaman and WW. They need to build a world with foundations... good solid movies before bringing folks together.

I defended BvS. Still do.
JL was impossibly bad. But man... I hope to god DC gets their shit together for Aquaman and WW. They need to build a world with foundations... good solid movies before bringing folks together.
WW they have the platform layed so they need to keep the momentum going.

It's Aquaman that worries, I just don't see where they go with him that can make him a compelling character with a good story, I can already tell they are gonna go down the superhero who is sarcastic even in danger route.

I WANT Darkseid though, so let's hope it goes well.

WW they have the platform layed so they need to keep the momentum going.

It's Aquaman that worries, I just don't see where they go with him that can make him a compelling character with a good story, I can already tell they are gonna go down the superhero who is sarcastic even in danger route.

I WANT Darkseid thinterestingough, so let's hope it goes well.
You do what marvel did with Guardians. Focus on those elements that make it relatable or fun, jump into its particularity head first.

There are relatable motifs there,

What's silly is the superman in the movie is hard to sympathize with and then they kill him like they're expecting people to give a fuck. He's such a fucking lifeless emo weirdo who only gives a shit about Louis that's why no one gave a shit when he died. Compare it to the reaction of people when the characters of Infinity War vanished. Lots of people devastated because the Marvel characters are just so likeable.

What's frustrating is that the death of superman in the comics has good story already. I legit felt bad when superman died trying to stop doomsday while other heroes were evacuating the city. I'm baffled what Zack Snyder was thinking when he made these movies.

What's silly is the superman in the movie is hard to sympathize with and then they kill him like they're expecting people to give a fuck. He's such a fucking lifeless emo weirdo who only gives a shit about Louis that's why no one gave a shit when he died. Compare it to the reaction of people when the characters of Infinity War vanished. Lots of people devastated because the Marvel characters are just so likeable.

What's frustrating is that the death of superman in the comics has good story already. I legit felt bad when superman died trying to stop doomsday while other heroes were evacuating the city. I'm baffled what Zack Snyder was thinking when he made these movies.
Ermmm no, just no lol

If you actually got that impression from Superman in the three films he is in then you have entirely missed the point Snyder was going for and i'm sure if he was here now he would say it is best you stay away from his films in the future.

They actually explore genuine, real elements with him, why should he protect us when we reject him? Why should we trust him? How much mercy should a god show ants?

And fuck right off with that Marvel bullshit, only children and hormonal women were 'devastated' at that pathetic attempt at trying drama lol Spider-man, black panther, Guardians dead? AHAHAHAH they have films with dates already released dude, it literally meant nothing, it is so obvious they are coming back it's hilarious. I swear if I ever watch that film and see someone getting emotional about a character 'dying' who has a movie coming out set AFTER IW then i'll slap him/her round the chops.

And Snyder does not make these decisions, WB have the final say, blame them not Snyder.

Ermmm no, just no lol

If you actually got that impression from Superman in the three films he is in then you have entirely missed the point Snyder was going for and i'm sure if he was here now he would say it is best you stay away from his films in the future.

They actually explore genuine, real elements with him, why should he protect us when we reject him? Why should we trust him? How much mercy should a god show ants?

And fuck right off with that Marvel bullshit, only children and hormonal women were 'devastated' at that pathetic attempt at trying drama lol Spider-man, black panther, Guardians dead? AHAHAHAH they have films with dates already released dude, it literally meant nothing, it is so obvious they are coming back it's hilarious. I swear if I ever watch that film and see someone getting emotional about a character 'dying' who has a movie coming out set AFTER IW then i'll slap him/her round the chops.

And Snyder does not make these decisions, WB have the final say, blame them not Snyder.
smh at this Snyder white knight

Ermmm no, just no lol

The problem with Snyder is he wants to portray DC in HIS vision. And his vision sucks and no matter how you defend it, his version of DC is atrocious and JL is shit. You can spin it all you want but we all know how bad the ratings are and you can just look at JL's earnings for further proof. Marvel CRUSHED DC that even Ant Man who no one gave a shit about before is going to kick JL's ass and there's nothing you can do about it.

People like you are the types who blame the viewers instead of the ones who create the movie. You're trying to sound smart by saying that we don't understand Snyder's vision etc etc. Don't over analyze it because the movie is just pure horseshit and you're clearly just a blind DC fanboy. Just to reiterate, I liked the death of superman in the comics, but I won't deny that the movies sucked. But hey I'm pretty sure you loved the Martha scene.

Why would superman protect us if we reject him? Because he's supposed to be a fucking hero and what people say about him shouldn't matter to him. Cap and his team were branded criminals by the government and had to fight their own friends because they knew it was the only way to save humanity. See the difference? The avengers are not emo, they do what they think is right for the sake of the people.

Yeah it's funny how people were so emotional for characters in IW that were of course returning, but it's a testament to how much people are invested emotionally to the characters. It's something that DC can only dream of doing. People were heartbroken seeing Spidey die, but when Superman dies it was just meh lmao.

And Snyder doesn't need to tell me not to watch his movies because they are shit anyways.

Back