10 Reasons Why JUSTICE LEAGUE Flopped at the U.S. Box Office

DC should back a huge truck full of money up to your house and give your creative oversight of their movies:D
Not a bad idea. :D And no need for a truck full of money, I'd do it for free. (Sorry, Marvel)

Lost hard at Post Traumatic Snyder Disorder<45><Lmaoo>
That was a last-minute idea. Glad you liked it.

The movie sucks because DC sucks. Everyonr is an all powerful god, or jist lame as hell.

Superman, can do whatever he wants
Wonderwoman, can do whatever she wants
Batman, rich dude-LAME
Aquaman-talks to fish? -who cares/lame
Flash-runs fast, yeah so like the c-squad xman can do that also superman already does that. Lame

This is the reason JL sucked:

Because the people making the movies (Snyder/executives) are just making god damn stupid movies. Their successes come when they hand the project over to really talented people and let them make magic. Suicide Squad tanked because the executive input was fucking ridiculous and they new the final product sucked so badly that they handed it to a trailer-studio to recut because they were literally desperate to find something that would seem hip to fans.

The thing Marvel is doing well is they are creating movies with characters that are basically how every comic book fan pictured them. DC is going the opposite route: they're taking big chances. It pays off when they give the projects to Christopher Nolan and Patty Jenkins, but tanks when they give the project to a fucking idiot like Zack Snyder. Captain America: Civil War was literally what every fanboy imagined when they pictured those characters. For comparison, Zack Snyder was giving interviews about how, in his movies, Bruce Wayne would get raped in prison.

Marvel puts out movies that connects with people's internal images of the characters. DC hands the reigns over to a fucking idiot and lets him drive their entire universe in directions that the audience doesn't want, then the executives jump on board with their wildly stupid, misfiring ideas to right a badly listing ship, only have the entire thing go down. In flames, which is fucking impressive for a boat.

Making good, successful movies is hard. Making good, successful movies that launch extended universes is almost impossible. The only successful examples of it is Marvel, Lego and John Wick... and I'm not even sure that was John Wick's intent: they probably just set out to make a damn good movie and popped out something that mesmerized people with the unseen corners of John Wick's world. Sony's Spider-Man, the Terminator Franchise, the Dark Universe franchise all fucking tanked because they laid the foundation for an extended universe in a half-assed, stupid way and then inserted those cinematic appetizers into movies that, by themselves, were stupid and half-assed! And DC most definitely falls into this category, except they look more ridiculous than most because they have significantly more advantages than any other studio out there and are FAILING IN THE DUMBEST POSSIBLE WAYS EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's like if they took the weights off of Seabiscuit, put him at the starting line to demolish significantly handicapped competition and then starting hitting him in the legs with sledge hammers just before the race began.

(Transformers is doing the extended universe thing, too, with 14 movies in production and are literally only held afloat by the Chinese box office because they're starting to fail just as hard as everyone else.)

LOL!

Sinking boats bursting into flames.

Smashing Seabiscuit’s legs with sledgehammers.

Some great visualizations from this post!

I *think part of it has to do with people don't go to the movie as much as they use too. A lot of people will just illegally download it or wait for it to be released and watch it on their favorite streaming device from the comfort of their own home.

Just a guess.
It's true people don't go to the movies like before but the box office disappointment comes from the fact that Batman v Superman made $166 million on its opening weekend just last year. A few months later, Suicide Squad had $133 million debut. This all happened last year. Now let's take a look at this year. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 had a $146 million debut, Spider-Man: Homecoming had $117 million, and Thor: Ragnarok had $122 million.

So clearly based on the facts presented, Justice League severely under-performed and couldn't even break through the $100 million mark on its 3-day opening weekend.

I just can't imagine getting hype over the 37,768,675th super hero movie.

I'd really like to see them bust out an alternate universe plot to do the reset, so that they can keep the actors people like (ww and Aquaman) while still resetting the rest. So they go to a universe where maybe the light is imperceptibly different but weakens current Supe (and the new one too if they don't want to make him quite such a deus ex), Batman already trained Dick Grayson to take over the mantle so they can go younger, Wonder Woman and/or Aquaman never left their homes to join the world or die during the movie, their flash can be the CW one, etc
That way Darkseid can be such a badass it takes two full teams to beat and even kills some of them (maybe the steppenwolf there makes an appearance with a sword instead of axe and a one-liner about his weapon preference)
There's a small chance they'll do a reset with the DCEU with Flashpoint (The Flash solo movie).

10. Seventh member was deleted from final cut
LKOCsvK.jpg

One of the reasons for Justice League’s stumble at the box office is the removal of all the scenes of the seventh member - Steve - in the actual movie despite being heavily promoted in their posters [1] [2], cover books [3], behind-the-scenes photo [4] and they even showed a clip [5] of this member in action. Snyder even teased Steve way back in 2015 when he tweeted a Justice League image with the slogan “Unite the Seven.” Such a shame, I for one would have liked to see war criminal and Marvel turncoat Steve kick some parademon butts.

Note: This might be merged with the official thread after a while.

Why is Captain America in that poster DL?

Also, can't it just be that D.C. has been making shit films lately and people just aren't going to spend their money on that?

DC needs a motivated Christopher Nolan.

Thanx for that breakdown brother @Dragonlordxxxxx ... number 10 is likely the thing that killed it the most. :D Funny... but in a way, it's kind of true... as you mentioned in #2... it lacked Star Power outside of the big 3. Thanx for the breakdown bro... great article.

This was covered in number 2... that Aquaman wasn't a well known character because he had no stand alone movie. To be honest, I was underwhelmed when I first heard they were going to make one & that he was going to be in Justice League, but he seemed really cool in the trailers, so I started to warm up to him.
Thanks. And yes, finally someone agrees with #10.

Okay, so with that said... word is that the f*cking Aquaman movie is done... lol... so if it's done, they should've put it out first & then dropped Justice League later. Then they'd have 4 starz on the screen instead of 3.
Aquaman just recently wrapped filming. Aquaman has a release date of December 2018. So it would be very foolish of WB if they postponed Justice League to 2019 to release the Aquaman movie first.

I still have hope that it will bounce back this coming 4 day thanksgiving weekend. Are there any indications that the casualz... or the kids are loving it? If there is good chatter in the streets it will come thundering back this weekend as families get together & chit chat about anything & everything... & then have 3 more dayz left in the weekend to get to the theaterz.
According to Deadline, the industry is forecasting a 56% decline for a low $40M 3-day, $60M-$65M 5-day for Justice League.

This whole DC Universe feels like an affront to the Justice League cartoon I grew up with and loved. Marvel gives me nostalgia, DC gives me "MARTHA!"

I don't think Nolan will ever be motivated to ever touch another DC property.

10.5. [Bonus] Some people thought it wasn’t happening or it’s not real
pVyJwwD.jpg

For years, @prod2821 kept telling posters that the Justice League movie is not happening and it’s not real. This might have affected a lot of the posters into believing that the movie is fake and influenced them to just watch The Punisher on Netflix instead. My "sources" tell me that San Antonio has the lowest ticket sales for Justice League among all the cities around the world.

Well I certainly watched the Punisher instead. Will probably wait for digital release before watching.

I watched Thor Ragnarok and Justice League and Marvel movies are just so much funner. Maybe dark and moody was the thing to do during the 90's when the economy was good but now people need fun. Also, Matt Damon > Ben Affleck.

This narrative needs to die already because It's patently false.
Outside of Iron-man and Iron-Man 2, nobody in the general public saw those other MCU Avengers lead ins. And if you don't believe me, look up the meager box office numbers of Thor, TIH, and CA:FA.

The Avengers was huge because RDJ's Iron-Man was hugely popular and the movie absolutely nailed HULK, the most recognizable member among casuals.
Yes, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk and Thor had meager theatrical runs. But it introduced these characters to the general public via cinemas and later in home videos where the public awareness and interest for these character grew and grew. That's the great thing about Marvel Studios is they knew some of their phase one origin movies won't be a box office smash. They didn't panic and continued with their plan towards The Avengers. They dropped the seeds and watched it grow and flourish years later. So by the time 2012 came, the general public was aware who all the characters were and were super excited to see them team-up in one epic movie.

Also, can't it just be that D.C. has been making shit films lately and people just aren't going to spend their money on that?
That would fall under Reason #1.

Why is Captain America in that poster DL?
It's an inside joke from the Justice League thread. It will be much clearer if you click on the little links I provided.

And a better fight choreographer and action editor.

Thanks. And yes, finally someone agrees with #10.

Aquaman just recently wrapped filming. Aquaman has a release date of December 2018. So it would be very foolish of WB if they postponed Justice League to 2019 to release the Aquaman movie first.

According to Deadline, the industry is forecasting a 56% decline for a low $40M 3-day, $60M-$65M 5-day for Justice League

<bball2>

Thanx for that breakdown brother @Dragonlordxxxxx ... number 10 is likely the thing that killed it the most. :D Funny... but in a way, it's kind of true... as you mentioned in #2... it lacked Star Power outside of the big 3. Thanx for the breakdown bro... great article.

This was covered in number 2... that Aquaman wasn't a well known character because he had no stand alone movie. To be honest, I was underwhelmed when I first heard they were going to make one & that he was going to be in Justice League, but he seemed really cool in the trailers, so I started to warm up to him.

Okay, so with that said... word is that the f*cking Aquaman movie is done... lol... so if it's done, they should've put it out first & then dropped Justice League later. Then they'd have 4 starz on the screen instead of 3.

Yeah when I first heard about an aquaman movie, hand to god, the first thing I thought of was wait didn't Entourage already do that lol

That would fall under Reason #1.

It's an inside joke from the Justice League thread. It will be much clearer if you click on the little links I provided.

And a better fight choreographer and action editor.

The warehouse fight was the best Batman fight yet put on film. Fuck the, "realistic" style. I want to see the Dark Knight punching mook's heads into the fucking floor:D

The movie sucks because DC sucks. Everyonr is an all powerful god, or jist lame as hell.

Superman, can do whatever he wants
Wonderwoman, can do whatever she wants
Batman, rich dude-LAME
Aquaman-talks to fish? -who cares/lame
Flash-runs fast, yeah so like the c-squad xman can do that also superman already does that. Lame

1. Okay, but Kryptonite and Magic fucks his day up if they do it right.

2. No argument here. She’s DC’s Thor.

3. Okay, Iron Man uses his wealth better.

4. Aquaman suffers from heavy nerfing when he’s not in his own books. He could summon the Leviathans of the deep and take out cities if he wanted. He commands a meta human army which always gets discredited. He commands technological and magical weapons that could destroy cities which everyone forgets also. He’s bullet proof. He’s as strong as Wonder Woman. He can swim at Mach speed under water. But everyone focuses on talking to fish.

5. The Flash might be the most powerful of all JL members. Why? If he wanted, you could just never have existed. His time travel capabilities makes him the most dangerous of all.

Back