10th planet JJ or wrestling for 5 year old and 7 year old ?

Do kids who do multiple sports all a bit enjoy competing and training against kids who specialize in one?

Last edited:
Do kids who do multiple sports all a bit enjoy competing and training against kids who specialize in one?
Yes, but they also like winning more than they like losing. This is why we have to create novice and JV only tournaments. People dont like to lose. They will quit if they are always losing, and they will stop competing years before their prime because they do not think they can win against the next tier of the sport.

Specializing may not produce they most well rounded athlete or may provide a different experience, but my point is wrestlers who start earlier and specialize are also becoming the norm at the upper level at every tier of the sport.

That doesn’t mean I’m saying try to push them into one activity solely or make the professional athletes but at that young age you are supposed to guide them.

That's what is hard about parenting, no? The difference between "pushing" and "guiding." I mean he can guide them into combat sports, but the kid may have 0 competitive drive in their soul and be an artist whether you like it or not. What the fuck is OP going to do if he decides his kids are going to be wrestlers, but instead his kids love laying on their back and scooting around on the ground like heathens and refuse to wrestle no matter what? It's what I did as a kid (though as an adult, I realize my dad was right and I was a shitty kid, but I don't have a time machine and can't fix my life choices). It'd be great to design life from a top-down best practices approach, but shit doesn't work that way.

I'll largely parrot what's been said already:

(1) Why not do both? Break it down by seasons.

(2) You should probably weigh how you personally feel about the instructors, what the other kids are like, etc rather than comparing the sports head on.

(3) Even if you have some goal of producing a champion, there's no point in trying to optimize it really early on. If one were to focus on wrestling, for example, the goal should be to have your kid performing optimally in high school and college rather than at the youth age. The focus should be on skill and athleticism development, and getting accustomed to competition, and making wrestling something the kid enjoys, rather than hates. This will produce champions in the long run.

Back