11/08/16

JudoThrowFiasco

Charming Quark
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone watch this on Netflix? It's a documentary that follows various people throughout the day of the federal election. Does a great job of getting the view points of a wide variety of Citizens: a coal miner, college feminist, small business owner, senior black southerner, progressive artist, California Latin DREAMER, Union Leader, Sikh person and others.

Doesn't drive a biased narrative and no narration -- just gives a lens into the lives of a bunch of different citizens across the spectrum of who were vested in that day.

Definitely shows how polarized and how much emotion people had on that day -- interesting to see the mix of jubilation, expectations and heartbreak.

Worth a watch. Post what you thought of it.

No, not yet. @Anung Un Rama said I should check out Wormwood. About Mk-ultra, and a scientist in 1952 who jumped out a hotel window after unwittingly being given LSD.

Watched the first episode, it was interesting.

Will put this next on my watch list.

No, not yet. @Anung Un Rama said I should check out Wormwood. About Mk-ultra, and a scientist in 1952 who jumped out a hotel window after unwittingly being given LSD.

Watched the first episode, it was interesting.

Will put this next on my watch list.

I'm off for 2 weeks during the holidays -- binged Wormwood yesterday / today -- definitely worth the watch. I think you will enjoy it.

Manhunter Unibomber is awesome too.

I'm off for 2 weeks during the holidays -- binged Wormwood yesterday / today -- definitely worth the watch. I think you will enjoy it.

Manhunter Unibomber is awesome too.

Ha, me too. I miss the days when this was the begginning of a two week drinking binge.

It's really too bad they couldn't squeeze like...a constitutional law professor in there. Or any number of highly-informed professions that were/are overwhelmingly opposed to the Trump presidency based on its complete policy incoherence. Maybe pack some actual informed perspective into it for the persons watching in good faith.

It's really too bad they couldn't squeeze like...a constitutional law professor in there. Or any number of highly-informed professions that were/are overwhelmingly opposed to the Trump presidency based on its complete policy incoherence. Maybe pack some actual informed perspective into it for the persons watching in good faith.

I think they went with the pov's of the average citizen but you bring up a good point of omitting "professional" political analysis -- but we got a ton of that via other sources during the election

I think they went with the pov's of the average citizen but you bring up a good point of omitting "professional" political analysis -- but we got a ton of that via other sources during the election

Except those opinions are sterilized by perceived partisanship, elitism, corruption, etc. Placing an educated opinion within that diary-type format could be useful in getting informed opinion across absent the usual political obstacles.

Except those opinions are sterilized by perceived partisanship, elitism, corruption, etc. Placing an educated opinion within that diary-type format could be useful in getting informed opinion across absent the usual political obstacles.

What prevents some viewers (half) from just continuing the perceived obstacles against the informed pov?

I get what you're saying by trying to infused knowledgeable people into the mix - but goes against the intended lens of average America.

You can't force people to listen to the intellectual if that's not what they are looking for.

What prevents some viewers (half) from just continuing the perceived obstacles against the informed pov?

I get what you're saying by trying to infused knowledgeable people into the mix - but goes against the intended lens of average America.

You can't force people to listen to the intellectual if that's not what they are looking for.

What I mean is that the "intellectual" is just an average person like anyone else, and is often constrained by rules of public and professional discourse that do not apply to Joe Schmo. We're starting, particularly in the legal profession, to see longstanding norms of political objectivity start to break down just to cut back at this sterility separating informed individuals from laymen as high-mindedness versus reality.

Following around a law professor as they have to navigate these constraints would be immensely informative and could breach some of these divides.

What I mean is that the "intellectual" is just an average person like anyone else, and is often constrained by rules of public and professional discourse that do not apply to Joe Schmo. We're starting, particularly in the legal profession, to see longstanding norms of political objectivity start to break down just to cut back at this sterility separating informed individuals from laymen as high-mindedness versus reality.

Following around a law professor as they have to navigate these constraints would be immensely informative and could breach some of these divides.

I think a documentary of that breaking down of "sterilization" within the scholarly / professional legal word would be interesting, on its own. (you should story board that)

But, to average America, they are insiders and the makers of this documentary were probably cautious of that and stuck to the view of "average" Americans within the wide variety of people who make up "average" America

Back