12 Angry Men (1957)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by MXZT, Apr 10, 2017.

?

Was he Guilty or Not Guilty?

1. Guilty

2. Not Guilty

3. I don't know

4. Never seen the movie

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. HunterSdVa29

HunterSdVa29 Respect, tho Platinum Member

I mean i legitimately enjoy JCVD and Seagal movies as you know, i'm not exactly an expert in cinematography and long lasting impact or high taste haha

but 12 Angry Men is straight up incredible, I don't care who you are. That's just a very very good movie and examination on mob mentality, biases, first impressions, and the use of rhetoric and logical reasoning

chickenluver, MusterX and Guestx like this.
  2. HunterSdVa29

is this cat sporting a Wojtek the Soldier Bear AV?

3. ufcfan4

ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

I think it's an absolute classic.

Love the gradually ramping up tension between Lee J. Cobb and Fonda. It's really interesting to the way that ethnic and socieconomic differences between the jurors become points of contention. There are alliances and then ruptures. You have a bunch of great actors too- Fonda, Cobb, Begley, Warden, Marshall, etc. It's also great how the people most stringently opposed to a not guilty verdict all have their own motivations in addition to the facts of the case. We don't know those motivations till later in the film, but we really come to see them firsthand. For instance, Cobb's relationship with his son. Begley's racial prejudice. And with EG Marshall, he's not really so staunchly opposed as he is just highly rational and preoccupied with elements of the case that he feels prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the boy is guilty.

There are also a bunch of great little mini stories in there- like Warden flip flopping for no reason other than seeing the tide turning and wanting to get out of there, Robert Webber being convinced one direction and then going back to his original side, the elderly juror taking a chance to back up Fonda purely because he feels Fonda's character made a bold move and they should at least have the respect to hear him out.

Awesome movie. Love it.

JohnOates, Peteyandjia, MXZT and 6 others like this.
  4. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Green(Goblin)Belt Platinum Member

Started watching one night when there was nothing else on TV. Figured I'd watch the first ten minutes or so, then go to bed.

Ten minutes later, of course, I was hooked. I had to watch it all the way to the end, just to see what the verdict was. Superb writing and even better acting. Dat switchblade scene...<Eek2.0>

GOAT-level movie:cool:

JohnOates, Peteyandjia, MXZT and 5 others like this.
  5. HunterSdVa29

that one dude was just trying to get to the game, i mean can you blame him haha

MusterX and Guestx like this.
  6. Guestx

Guestx Guest

In regard to the discussions on race and class, the film felt modern to me. This was made near the very beginning of the Civil Rights movement and before that movement was in full swing, but we're still talking about the same shit today. (Although obviously society has changed a lot since then.)

MusterX and ufcfan4 like this.
  7. Guestx

Guestx Guest

This was the one of the few elements of the story that seemed a little false to me. Did jurors at the time really expect to just come in, deliberate for an hour in a murder trial, and leave?

chickenluver and ufcfan4 like this.
  8. LEWIS540

LEWIS540 .

You're welcome.

[​IMG]

SilverRoc likes this.
  9. ufcfan4

haha Jack Warden is the shit. The immigrant juror justifiably laces into him though when he admittedly just switches sides because he's had enough and he wants out of there.

I uhhh don't think he's guilty.

Great scene too where Begley takes the floor and goes on his hateful rant and you see him losing his audience quick. He sees they're having none of it and ends it off with a desperate "listen to me," "listen to me." Marshall looks right at him and says, "I have. Now sit down and don't open your mouth again." Badass as hell.

And you can see at that moment, Begley is done for. Shell of himself and concedes to Fonda's case that the boy is not guilty.

10. Guestx

Guestx Guest

When Henry Fonda's character pulls out the switchblade was easily the most startling, attention-commanding moment of the movie for me. Although, I'm not sure if matters of security were different then than they are now, but it's hard to believe someone got a switchblade into a court building.

KnightTemplar and ufcfan4 like this.
  11. ufcfan4

Yeah but I assume he just thought it was possible because it seemed- on initial view, a cut and dry case.

chickenluver and Guestx like this.
  12. Guestx

Guestx Guest

It sounds like you've watched the film several times.

ufcfan4 likes this.
  13. ufcfan4

Such a great moment in the film. Awesome reaction from everybody when they see it too.

Also when he baits Cobb into attacking him- "You're a sadist." Cobb lunges at him and they hold him back. "I'll kill him! I'll kill him!"

You don't really mean you'll kill me do you.

That was awesome.

Another great moment involving the knife is when they are going to mimic the 5'7 son standing facing the 6'2 father- Cobb shrugs down to about six inches shorter than Fonda and then lifts the knife and all the other jurors react worried he's going to actually stab him.

Ah Man, KnightTemplar and Guestx like this.
  14. esum80

esum80 ศิษย์มนต์ชัย

enjoyed it and watched it in high school for law class. great flick.

15. HunterSdVa29

for a presumed guilty minority w/ police corroboration?

perhaps?

16. HunterSdVa29

no lie i watched it first time same way, practical law class in HS
    and i've wanted to get jury duty ever since to try and be a secret Sherlock/Det Goren juror. No wonder i wasn't picked twice haha

KnightTemplar likes this.
  17. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Maybe so. I know that jury deliberation usually at least takes several hours, and often times several days or even weeks.

18. helltoupee

helltoupee Black Belt

If you've been watching movies set in one location you might be interested in Tape with Ethan Hawke/Uma Thurman. It's kind of an indie file that takes place in a single hotel room - great movie.

Guestx likes this.
  19. esum80

esum80 ศิษย์มนต์ชัย

20. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Did you not have some misgivings about the fact that he was able to get into the deliberation room with a knife like that?

I mean, I know that there probably weren't metal detectors in place at that time, but it still seems like there must have been strict laws with serious consequences in place for bringing a weapon into a courthouse.

ufcfan4 and MusterX like this.