12 Years ago: GSP Defeats Matt Hughes

Man i am getting old...

12 years go fast.
Time flies

ea01z_4787.jpg

Recap:

October 22, 2004
UFC 40

St-Pierre's 3rd UFC fight. Faces welterweight champion and all time great, Matt Hughes.

Hughes submits St-Pierre by armbar with one second remaining in the first round.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

St-Pierre works his back up with the following fights.

Dave Strasser
Jason Miller
Frank Trigg
I didn't have gifs for all of them
giphy.gif
Sean Sherk
BJ Penn

And here we are, 12 years later almost day to day:

November 18, 2006
UFC 65

St-Pierre finally gets his long awaited rematch.

Knocks down Hughes at the end of the first round but the bell ends the round.
giphy.gif

And the moment which started a new era in the WW division.

St- Pierre finishes Hughes in the 2nd round.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Special moment in UFC history.
It's on this day that I became an MMA fanatic.

#GSPBless

Man I miss seeing GSP dominate challenger after challenger back in the day. Sure, you could say his style was a little boring as he got older but watching him completely neutralise his opponents offense never got old for me. Especially as a Canadian, any time GSP fought it was like the whole country was together.

GSP bless.

Are you refering strictly to a strike that knocked the opponent down?

giphy.gif

There were some pretty nice moments in the Fitch fight.

That was a nice counter.

That's the best punch he's ever landed I'd say.

Wish I could have gone to this one!

I live like 30 minutes away from Sacramento, but I was 16 and didn't have a job in 2006

I loved GSP cus he used the superman punch and spinning back kicks and I thought it was like the coolest thing ever.

As much as GSP gets flack for being a decision machine, a small fact that slips often?

GSP was viewed as a destroyer and finisher longer than he was a decision machine.

I was a mod at another mma forum and the place exploded with excitement that we had an exciting WW Champion.

This was the first and one of the only times in MMA, I saw a distinct and clear evolution in the sport. Hughes was looked at as the #1 fighter in the sport, or at least one of them. And GSP completely dominated him and appeared to be operating multiple levels above him. It was amazing at the time.

Yeah that shit was on my birthday too. Wild night.

I watched that live... MMA reminds me of how fast time can go by and it's disconcerting.

Matt cheats his way through college getting A's in classes he proudly says he never attended. He and the other wrestlers bully everybody at Lincoln Junior College, and break a bunch of shit. They tip over people's cars, and flood the dorms on purpose. We reach a new low, when he also makes light of the fact that one of his college buddies could not read or write. He then takes time to bash Frank Trigg, saying that he "never became anything."

Later it gets even more disturbing when he describes mutilating a live baby piglet by cutting off it's testicles, and throwing them at a friend. For good measure he slits it's stomach open as it screams wildly to "freak his friend out." After he and Mark brutally torture and kill a dozen or so baby pigs, solely for entertainment, they starts throwing their testicles and body parts at each other. Matt even now still seems amused because his friend looked like he was going to vomit.

A family member shoots himself over a girl, and Matt skips the funeral decided to go to a wrestling meet instead. After getting drunk one night they take a bunch of girls "swimming" in some sort of pond/rain water/sewer runoff. There is a whirlpool that's formed in the sewage pond, and Matt and 2 other drunk college kids get caught in the current. Matt pulls himself out but the 2 other kids drowned.

Back