14yr old kid shot to death by cops

Wont argue that, but is it not an option to shoot to wound? This kid cannot have been that fast and was a big target. I know it's not easy to make good decisions at such a moment, but still...guess I am asking your opinion as a guy with law enforcement experience, was non lethal force likely to be an option?

Wound how? What kind of wounding shot is gonna reliably drop or stop someone charging you with a knife?

I always hear people ask this but I've never seen where they want them shot.

Legs, not a reliable stop and there is the femoral artery there which will bleed you out absurdly fast. Pelvic shot, same thing full of veins and thr femoral as well. Arm not really gonna do much.

Wound how? What kind of wounding shot is gonna reliably drop or stop someone charging you with a knife?

Legs, not a reliable stop and there is the femoral artery there which will bleed you out absurdly fast. Pelvic shot, same thing full of veins and thr femoral as well. Arm not really gonna do much.
Thanks for answering

I was thinking lower leg, and in this case I'd have thought odds of success would be decent. First, this is a kid we are talking about. Second, he lunged a few times. That suggests that the cop was able to evade him, so he probably wasn't too fast. And he was a big kid too, he'd struggle to hobble far with the weight he was bearing.

That was my logic anyway. The reason I asked is because I have no experience shooting people or even trying to subdue an armed assailant. You make some good points, so again, thank you.

against a 14 yr who doesn't know the world of pain completely. a shot would stop him in his tracks.

If someone goes at you po-po with a knife then I say go ahead and shoot. I'm curious though. Let's say that was the mayor's kid. Same exact decision-making on the part of the police involved?

Wont argue that, but is it not an option to shoot to wound? This kid cannot have been that fast and was a big target. I know it's not easy to make good decisions at such a moment, but still...guess I am asking your opinion as a guy with law enforcement experience, was non lethal force likely to be an option?

No police agency in America trains "shoot to wound." And for good reason. I think your heart's in the right place, but that's very naïve thinking.

14u9vs.jpg

No police agency in America trains "shoot to wound." And for good reason. I think your heart's in the right place, but that's very naïve thinking.
Maybe it is. Protect gave a pretty sound response as to why shooting to wound isn't practical. I was speaking from a complete lack of experience.

Thanks for answering

I was thinking lower leg, and in this case I'd have thought odds of success would be decent. First, this is a kid we are talking about. Second, he lunged a few times. That suggests that the cop was able to evade him, so he probably wasn't too fast. And he was a big kid too, he'd struggle to hobble far with the weight he was bearing.

That was my logic anyway. The reason I asked is because I have no experience shooting people or even trying to subdue an armed assailant. You make some good points, so again, thank you.

You don't use lethal force for anything but lethal action.

For one a firearm can easily kill with a shot to the leg. So if you don't want to kill them, then you don't want to shoot them where a huge artery is.

And it's hard to aim like that in the heat of the moment. You could easily miss. Plus it might not disable the attacker.

Just keep things simple. If you use a gun, it's for lethal force. If you want lethal force, you aim center of mass for heart/lung shots and brain stem shots. You don't fuck around trying to wound them.

For one a firearm can easily kill with a shot to the leg. So if you don't want to kill them, then you don't want to shoot them where a huge artery is.

And it's hard to aim like that in the heat of the moment. You could easily miss. Plus it might not disable the attacker.

Just keep things simple. If you use a gun, it's for lethal force. If you want lethal force, you aim center of mass for heart/lung shots and brain stem shots. You don't fuck around trying to wound them.
Haha, third guy to explain. It's cool, I get it. Was asking out of ignorance.

Frankly I'm glad I'll almost certainly never have to face a situation like that.

Sounds like suicide by cop

A cop who can't neutralize a civilian without using deadly force is a useful cop. We need better trained officers, not kill first ask questions later executioners.

Ummmm, the 300lb kid had a butcher knife and went at the cop with it.

One of my old bosses has an autistic kid. My boss is about 5'6" and 170lbs. His kid is 6'1" and a solid 250lbs, at 16. The kid goes nuts every so often and attacks his family members. The last time, my boss, who'd just gotten home from a bad stroke and was using a walker, got absolutely wrecked by his son. I mean, put back into the hospital kind of fucked up.

The son kicked out his walker, and started beating my boss with it, busting his face, and causing a lot of other bodily injury. By sheer luck, my boss' brother who is also a cop, was over and helped intervene. The brother called myself and another cop over to the house because he knew we'd go hands-on and wouldn't shoot the kid, even though it might be justified. The bottom line in cases like this, is that the average layperson has no idea what damage the autistic/mentally ill are capable of, even to their own family. The average cop, without knowing the history of the people involved is just going to see a kid with a butcher knife lunge toward him, and shoot him. That's reality.

Feel bad for the cop that had to shoot this kid. The kid got what he wanted, but wasn't stable enough to realize he was making a tragic mistake.

This situation is fucked all around, but the LAST person to blame is the cop.
This.
Some posters here think it's edgy to slam police without thinking about what it would be like to have to do tee worst parts of it.

Yeah, a leg wound might kill you, but how LONG will the bad guy still be doing bad guy stuff before he dies? 1-3 minutes? Upper A zone put your lights out within seconds. THAT's the shot you want to take.

Its the parents fault not the cops. Im sorry but if your 14 year old is 300 lbs you are a shitty parent. Nm the part about charging police with a knife.

The cop could have easily walked backwards at a leisurely pace... after about 15 yards the kid would be struggling to catch his breath, at which point the cop could have used a taser

Back