170 and 185 PFL Quarter and Semi Finals | Two Fights In One Night: Oct 20th

Ray Cooper gets to beat the shit out of Jake Shields again. How wonderful.

I hate the first rd deciding the fight if it goes to a decision

I hate the first rd deciding the fight if it goes to a decision
yeah I'm still split on it, there hasn't been many issues so far, I mean, you go all out in the first you pretty much win the fight.
The only fights that have been dubious I recall are Harrison/Popo and Sean O'Connell.
I thought Popo edged out Andre in the first round (but I'm biased), and Sean OC managed a 10-8 round in the second frame which was a bit iffy.
Glad he got through but iffy.

Really looking forward to the WW matchups, but MW I see a lot of decisions, maybe not even one stoppage all night

I'll be bummed if Cooper vs Story doesn't happen

yeah I'm still split on it, there hasn't been many issues so far, I mean, you go all out in the first you pretty much win the fight.
The only fights that have been dubious I recall are Harrison/Popo and Sean O'Connell.
I thought Popo edged out Andre in the first round (but I'm biased), and Sean OC managed a 10-8 round in the second frame which was a bit iffy.

Really looking forward to the WW matchups, but MW I see a lot of decisions, maybe not even one stoppage all night

Since they're having 4 + 4 tournament fights (quarters) on the same card. Plus 4 more (semis). And they did the same thing with the other divisions. I think they could have structured it in a way that they had just one fight for the night each, but only half as many fighters per division. Basically split up the matchups across two cards. I think it would be possible if they just did the math and shifted things around accordingly.

So instead of 2 divisions, we could get quarters from 3 divisions a card (then do it twice for the other half). And there's a total of 6 divisions anyways.

Since they're having 4 + 4 tournament fights (quarters) on the same card. Plus 4 more (semis). And they did the same thing with the other divisions. I think they could have structured it in a way that they had just one fight for the night each, but only half as many fighters per division. Basically split up the matchups across two cards. I think it would be possible if they just did the math and shifted things around accordingly.

So instead of 2 divisions, we could get quarters from 3 divisions a card (then do it twice for the other half). And there's a total of 6 divisions anyways.
I think a lot of people have been interested in the fighters fighting twice in one night. I don't think they should take that away.

Ya It just seems like guys win the first rd and then conserve energy in the 2nd. I’d prefer they just judge the pride route for 2 rd fights

Shields used to be so difficult to hit. What happened to him?
Some of his strength and reflexes went out the window, I think. Jake Shields is pushing 40 now so I guess his last fight with Cooper was pretty much his official "got old" fight and he was well overdue for it.

I doubt Cooper would have been able to defeat "Rockstar Energy Shorts Jake Shields" that easily, if at all. The dude survived an H-Bomb and dominated Dan Henderson. Trust me, he no back.
jheklnm0a1n01.gif

Looking forward to this next round for the WWs and MWs.

I think a lot of people have been interested in the fighters fighting twice in one night. I don't think they should take that away.

Well there's clearly some major issues with it.

Ya It just seems like guys win the first rd and then conserve energy in the 2nd. I’d prefer they just judge the pride route for 2 rd fights

And this is where the issues is. Since it's the US, I assume 10-point must system becomes mandatory. If they had PRIDE style judging, there wouldn't be an issue.

And this is where the issues is. Since it's the US, I assume 10-point must system becomes mandatory. If they had PRIDE style judging, there wouldn't be an issue.
It's strange because Pride rules pretty much came into play in the O'Connell/Spohn fight.
Spohn easily won the first, Sean the second, but never a 10-8 by today's judging standards.
BUT, with Pride rules, Sean walks away with the win no question, which he did, so all was rosey

It's strange because Pride rules pretty much came into play in the O'Connell/Spohn fight.
Spohn easily won the first, Sean the second, but never a 10-8 by today's judging standards.
BUT, with Pride rules, Sean walks away with the win no question, which he did, so all was rosey

I hadn't watched that card, but you're saying that Sean won a 10-8 in the second even though he technically didn't deserve it?

I disagree there's been major issues. It's been fun so far. I think the format will most shine this saturday with the fighters on that card.

Last edited:
I hadn't watched that card, but you're saying that Sean won a 10-8 in the second even though he technically didn't deserve it?
Basically, he lost the first round and needed a 10-8 or stoppage to go through. Second round he dropped Spohn and beat up on him and then tried a guilotine right at the end. Dominant round for sure but you can guarantee if it had been any regular UFC fight it would be a 10-9 round only as judges just don't give them out. But over the whole two rounds he definitely deserved the nod.
If judges were more willing to give 10-8's then this would be a good example, but you have to virtually kill a man to get a 10-8!

Basically, he lost the first round and needed a 10-8 or stoppage to go through. Second round he dropped Spohn and beat up on him and then tried a guilotine right at the end. Dominant round for sure but you can guarantee if it had been any regular UFC fight it would be a 10-9 round only as judges just don't give them out. But over the whole two rounds he definitely deserved the nod.
If judges were more willing to give 10-8's then this would be a good example, but you have to virtually kill a man to get a 10-8!

But they changed the rules at the end of last year, a lot of states now do give out 10-8 and supposed to 10-7s as well. It depends whether the state adopted the new rules tho.

But they changed the rules at the end of last year, a lot of states now do give out 10-8 and supposed to 10-7s as well. It depends whether the state adopted the new rules tho.
Yeah I appreciate that, but it still doesn't happen as often as it should, in fact it is till pretty rare

I'm glad he won and I don't care how he did it, just funny that it ended up looking like old Pride judging the way he got through

Yep, 2 round 1/4 finals and 3 round semis

And so far most have looked pretty good getting through both fights, no real stinkers and people gassing
Looks like PFL is the most underrated and overlooked promotion today, got to check it out.

Back