170 is the one division where the UFC champ might not be the best fighter

Breakfast Bar

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Not his fault, but Woodley has some questions around his status as the best 170 pounder in the world that I don't think any of the other UFC champions have. Both Ben Askren, undefeated and a higher level wrestler, and Rory McDonald, a former top talent who beat Woodley, could make their claims as being better than anyone else with some plausibility. And of course there is the shadow of GSP looming over the division as well.

You guys do know that Rory got his ass kicked by Lawler and Wonderboy, right?

You could say the same for every division except flyweight.

Wrong its LW. But everyone considers Tony the real champ anyway.

You guys do know that Rory got his ass kicked by Lawler and Wonderboy, right?

To add to what the above poster replied, he won more rounds against Lawler than Lawler won against him.

Not his fault, but Woodley has some questions around his status as the best 170 pounder in the world that I don't think any of the other UFC champions have. Both Ben Askren, undefeated and a higher level wrestler, and Rory McDonald, a former top talent who beat Woodley, could make their claims as being better than anyone else with some plausibility. And of course there is the shadow of GSP looming over the division as well.

Lightweight.

Ferguson
Khabib
Barboza
>
Conor = UFC Champ

And as far as Head-to-Head, stylistically...
Michael Chandler > UFC Champ, too. Maybe also Kevin Lee.

You have a guy who's 1-1 against a gatekeeper, and 1-0 at Lightweight with zero fights against actual ranked contenders to get there as "champion"...

Last edited:

LW - Tony, Khabib
WW - Rory, GSP (Askren is retired and never fought a top 5 fighter)
MW - Mousasi

You can even make a case for Minakov at HW, because he is undefeated. Come on!

I am not a fan of Woodley's fighting, but he won the title fair and square and defended it against the fighters who truly deserved it at that moment: Wonderboy and Maia. Next it should be dos Anjos.

Thats basically the same with every division, ever. Maybe not in Mighty Mouse or Cyborgs case but they may be the only ones. Theres usually always at least one guy or girl out there who will be a terrible matchup for the champ. Styles do make fights. Bantamweight with Cody/TJ/Cruz is the perfect example.

Yeah and Rory beat the fuck out of Woodley so I don’t know where you think this is going.

It's overall wins, not just X guy beat Y once years ago.

Woodley has better wins and has improved the most since their fight.

To add to what the above poster replied, he won more rounds against Lawler than Lawler won against him.

Yet only one guy went down in a bloody heap and needed to quit.

...everyone considers Tony the real champ anyway.

No I don't.

Conor is the real Champ... UFC Champ, Lineal Champ
But Conor is not the #1 LW in the world.

Sometimes they're two different things. It happens.

Back