1990s Legend Royce Gracie Trashes Modern Fighters

Do you agree with Gracie?

• Total voters
I get the sentiment, but what he saying wouldn't work. For it to be a sport there needs to be clear rules, and things like weight divisions are needed. There has to be belts, champions, and such or it's not easy to follow or promote. While its based on street fighting it isn't and cant be sold in that manner.

It wasn’t so daunting facing a 250 pound ball of lard without meaningful skill as compared to say a 250 pound ball of prime Stipe.

Book Royce vs Stipe, I’m sure he would be down.

You whipper snappers don't know how easy you have it. When Grandpappy Royce was a boy he walked to and from the favela in the snow, up hill, BOTH WAYS!

Does it even snow in Brazil?

You’re gonna come up to him and ask him, ‘Excuse me, how much do you weigh? What belt are you?'

Pretty brave of a 5th degree black belt not to ask random people at the beach what belt they are before he fought them!

Yes, of course he fought much bigger guys too, but that you can kind of see for yourself before a fight.

Does it even snow in Brazil?

c5087061a43ec3c8bab87ec6f929bea8

Q. Which MMA do you like more, this MMA, or the MMA in the nineties?

A. Back then it was no, ah, hmm — it was no bullshit. In a street fight there is no time-limit, no weight division, you don’t choose your opponent. So today I see fighters complain ‘Oh my god, my opponent’s a pound over the weight!’ — Really?

(This gets some laughs in the room, from the two guys in the office we crashed. One of whom I now think is Mike Johnson, of recent Conor McGregor fame).

‘He didn’t make weight, he’s a pound over, I don’t wanna fight him.’ C’mon man. That’s why I say all the time, somebody walk down the street, pinch your girlfriend, your wife on the buns, what’re you gonna do? You’re gonna come up to him and ask him, ‘Excuse me, how much do you weigh? What belt are you?' Sorry, he’s not in 'my division,' I’m not going to beat him up’. C’mon man.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/11...y-really-bad-in-the-past-20-years-bjj-mma-ufc
I see his point but had he fought skilled guys who trained in strikes and BJJ, wrestling etc, in his day then he would have been calling for weight classes and rules and refs...he fought a lot of people who had no idea of the ground game...

Lol I get what Royce Gracie is saying but I gotta disagree, ffs back when Royce was fighting in the UFC guys didn't even know what BJJ was, there are weight classes for a reason.

Q. Which MMA do you like more, this MMA, or the MMA in the nineties?

A. Back then it was no, ah, hmm — it was no bullshit. In a street fight there is no time-limit, Really?

How about this? If there's no time limit, and Royce Gracie's fight doesn't end before the PPV time slot expires, then not only does Royce Gracie not get paid (win, lose or draw), but he pays the UFC $1,000,000 in cash and/or assets to help cover all the REFUNDS that they must pay out because people's PPV purchased may go off air blackout and they miss the ending.

And $1 million would still be a drop in a bucket in comparison to what it could potentially cost the UFC. This no-time-limit is what's really bullshit and doesn't work in real life/real business.

He's talking about the mentality of the fighters from the early days of mma compared to today...and he"s absolutely right.

Today's fighters are absolute pussies compared to the sports forefathers.

Haha, you're nuts. Go watch the early UFC's. There was a shit-ton of tapping from being ground N' pound. That dude with the 1 boxing glove, tapped out almost immediately before taking much punishment.

I can't remember anyone tapping in the last 10 years or so from being GNP'ed (except recently, and that was WMMA).

"In a street fight there is no time-limit"

This is where he is wrong. This isn't a street fight anymore - it's supposed to be a legitimate sport.

Modern day MMA fighters are way too much for Gracie.

Just being realistic here.
That’s why he’s always shitting on them

Is there a likeable Gracie ? Is there even one ?

Royce always trying to make himself look like the best and his era the toughest, and that he didn’t juice when’s he got busted

DJ would beat the guys Royce was fighting during the early UFC era minus maybe the couple guys that had actual skill like Shamrock and Severn.
Ehh probably not. Maybe UFC 1 but only a year later everyone caught on to how dangerous the submission game could be, mighty mouse gets rolled by Abbott, Varelans, Taktarov etc in 1994-95.

Well, he isn't wrong. Anytime someone is even a couple pounds heavier, a lot of guys start moaning about fighting the bigger guy. A few pounds (or even twice as much) is so negligible it's not even worth bringing up, but too many fighters today are prima donnas.

Sherdoggers are the same type of pussies. Anytime someone is even a little bit taller or a little bit longer, ya'll start moaning about size advantage. "Urggh, Conor always has a couple of inches in reach on his opponent, it's not fair, he's always the bigger man."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back