1990s Legend Royce Gracie Trashes Modern Fighters

Do you agree with Gracie?

• Total voters
No. I see what he's saying but it's a sport and a job, not a street fight.

He comes from a different era. He would not be successful today, but I still respect what he's saying. But he's comparing apples to cantaloupes.

Lucky for him, there are rules and a referee in the Octagon...

2rdyhhw.jpg
I like Royce but that was just savage!!

It's kind of a false premise because 99+% of the time when a fighter misses weight, the fight still takes place. Look it's good that we got to see the Gracie era and all that, but the sport is better these days across the board. The only advantage they had was the action created by brutal mismatches and less rules. But sporting wise it is much better these days.

Maybe some. The way he handled Yoshida (a top competitive LHW at the time) was impressive.

This is some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard. It's one thing to fight some Rex Kwan Do shmuck that outweighs you by 30 pounds. It's entirely another to fight someone a weigh class higher with world class training in the most effective disciplines possible.

Royce got completely son'd by Matt Hughes. Imagine if he fought Yoel Romero.

Jus´ curious...Do U know how old he was when he fought Hughes?

His way of thinking would have gotten him killed against Mark Kerr. I remember they were trying to book that fight roughly 15 years ago

Jus´ curious...Do U know how old he was when he fought Hughes?

Hughes at that point beats any version of Royce ever. Anywhere, anyplace and anytime. He's better at everything, including grappling.

Pretend Royce is in his prime and fights Yoel. Does it make any difference?

Last edited:
Lucky for him, there are rules and a referee in the Octagon...

2rdyhhw.jpg
Hughes should've twisted one arm back and forced him to say uncle instead of hammering out the ko so quickly.

The Gracies can't admit that they were already quite irrelevant even from way back.

His way of thinking would have gotten him killed against Mark Kerr. I remember they were trying to book that fight roughly 15 years ago
He signed the contract and did the usual photo opp with Kerr and then pulled out due to an 'injury'. Then pull out again etc until Pride took the hint and vacated that matchup.

He's right Old school MMA was best by a mile. More HC fighters better rules.

Also old 3 point line in Basketball. And football for a million reasons mainly to do with hitting. I dont even watch basically flag football anymore.

I miss the 80s,90s early 2K.

He's completely right. These guys aint fighters today, they're point fighters and weight cut fighters.

Fuck them.

Hughes at that point beats any version of Royce ever. Anywhere, anyplace and anytime. He's better at everything, including grappling.

Pretend Royce is in his prime and fights Yoel. Does it make any difference?
Hmmm.. it´s not about who beats who and where, it´s about judging what is relevant or not.

And this Hughes vs Royce fight was simply not, Royce was 40 yrs old dude.

Yea, guys are waaay better now than they were in your time. We'd only have guys weighing 200+ doing MMA if there were no weight classes. Royce, you wouldn't last 3 minutes in your prime if you fought today.

Back