2 time Judo gold medalist, wins wmma debut.

What weight class is Gabi what's her name who faced Dern in BJJ?

She cut a lot to get to 165 ? this is one heck of a change to drop 2 weight classes.

Well, that was judo, where weigh-ins are the same day as the competition - meaning you often have less than an hour to rehydrate. Weight cutting in judo (about an hour for rehydration) means something very different than MMA (where you have 24 hours to rehydrate).

It'll be interesting to see how she does. Her judo is much better than Rousey's ever was (olympic bronze once for Rousey, olympic gold twice for Kayla), but she's still a complete neophyte for striking. If her team is smart they'll give her a couple of years before putting her up against top level WMMA fighters - at this point she'll do as well against Cyborg in MMA as Cyborg would do against her in judo. But after a couple of years i suspect she'll be competitive.

Well, that was judo, where weigh-ins are the same day as the competition - meaning you often have less than an hour to rehydrate. Weight cutting in judo (about an hour for rehydration) means something very different than MMA (where you have 24 hours to rehydrate).

It'll be interesting to see how she does. Her judo is much better than Rousey's ever was (olympic bronze once for Rousey, olympic gold twice for Kayla), but she's still a complete neophyte for striking. If her team is smart they'll give her a couple of years before putting her up against top level WMMA fighters - at this point she'll do as well against Cyborg in MMA as Cyborg would do against her in judo. But after a couple of years i suspect she'll be competitive.

Many wrestling bouts have same day scales and they still cut weight.

I think all NCAA matches have them in the same day.

Career wise yea stay away from Cyborg until you have more skills and she is older and easier to take on but then again make that money and in order to do that you need the UFC and you need to make 145.. not a lot of girls heavier then that and low money outside of the UFC.

Her ground game was supposed to be good though, Fight 2 Win champion

So if a Corvette races a bicycle and wins, thats a good race?

Should we go ahead and give her the belt because she won gold in a different sport and venue?

She needs to fight other GOOD fighters to be measured properly skill wise.

She looked good, I wonder how many fighters they can find for her at 155. I also wonder if she can make 145, in addition to seeing how she would do against better competition.

I don't know if she can make 145 healthy tbh. She's a big girl. She was looking pretty jacked in that fight, with not much body fat. She'd have to lose muscle.

"Cyborg already called her out"
Of course she has.. better do it now before she get any experience and might be a threat.

So if a Corvette races a bicycle and wins, thats a good race?

Should we go ahead and give her the belt because she won gold in a different sport and venue?

She needs to fight other GOOD fighters to be measured properly skill wise.
Relax my guy

Hopefully we see her fight again soon and we learn more

That fight did nothing for me honesty.

She looked green for sure she was hesitant to be first or strike at all.Her opponent was not good at all.She finished by submission like she should have but she definitely needs more fine tuning even her gnp was arm punches she didn't drop her body weight with the punches.

She is super strong and obviously has an excellent base but that fight wasn't a challenge and PFL will have a tough time finding decent opposition for her.

Bellator has probably the best womans 145 and the UFC has like what ??6 fighters in the division most of which are bloated 135ers.

Hope she can evolve without high LVL competition cuz in PFL it won't be there.

Many wrestling bouts have same day scales and they still cut weight.

I think all NCAA matches have them in the same day.

Career wise yea stay away from Cyborg until you have more skills and she is older and easier to take on but then again make that money and in order to do that you need the UFC and you need to make 145.. not a lot of girls heavier then that and low money outside of the UFC.

Judoka cut weight too, but rarely dehydrate more than five or so pounds. Whereas in MMA and boxing, with 24 hours to rehydrate, a water cut of 20 pounds is pretty common. Meaning fighters who weigh in at 145 pounds are 165 pounds in the cage, whereas judoka who weigh in at 145 (not a real judo weight division, just using the same number for an example) are on the mats at 150.

A judoka or wrestler who water cut 20 pounds and then tried to compete an hour later would do horribly (and possibly die from the exertion/dehydration). Which means someone competing at say 165 in judo is on the mats at 170 pounds, which translates to making a weight of 150 pounds in MMA.

Judo is legit as hell, I wish more Judokas could successfully transfer over to MMA. Its a beautiful art
Same here, I think Judo + (kick)boxing is a pretty legit martial arts combo that covers all bases - striking, takedowns and TDD as well as grappling. Judo ne-waza may not be as intricate as BJJ but focuses on high percentage moves like armbars and we've seen Ronda simply armbar everyone on her way up to the UFC belt.

how many fights PFL contract?

If she can get to 6-0, her vs Cyborg gets very interesting
I think Cyborg should fight King Reina in about 2 yrs just before that though...a pretty good Judoka I've rolled with

She has a bright future.

Back