20 Years Ago...

well of course if Tamura had born 20 years later and had trained and developed in modern mma gyms adapted to modern fight configuration he would be a different man. But it's absurd to even especulate with that.
The point here is if the skill-set Tamura acquired in the 90's would be effective against a modern evolved mma fighter as Okami, or as Marquardt (in his prime, not his early 20's) or as Lombard (in his prime, not his first years as a pro) under modern mma rule set.
jus´like it´s moronic to match him without context vs the current MWs you were talkin about. You should listen to yourself sometimes...

You make me laugh tbh, Okami has historically never fought @ openweight and you keep nutthuggin him.. He was shamelessly matched against undersized dudes, you are impressed coz you dont consider the contexts of the fights, and the fight configuration that favoured a skillset like his...

He had a bureaucratic skillset, limited striking and you keep believing he would outstrike Tamura...

Im not even a Tamura fan...lmao...forget it.

I honestly respect your stance in the matter, but when you argue with false statements, I will reply to it.
In modern day, there is no WW/MW fighting at openweight. There isnt even such weight division so why you keep refering to it
You keep saying Okami was shamelessly matched against undersized dudes...when? back when he was 22 years old? It's irrelevant, this guy has a 15 year long career where he has been constantly evolving.

By the time he was a long time considered top ten MW in the world, he wasnt matched against undersized dues, he was actually cutting less weight than most of his opponents. I mean he was a WW (where he is actually fighting now) fighting at MW, so thats how wrong you are.
I dont know why you refuse to talk about Okami 2006-2018 instead of keep coming back to him as a very green fighter in his very early years

Last edited:
Hmmm...jus´laughin @ your Okami would be game vs Nog in Rings... Nuthin personal...

View attachment 429791

Hmmm...you were laughing at my Okami would be game vs Tamura in standing fight.
I would like you to back up those laughs with some arguments or credentials about Tamura's standup game that I may not know but instead you keep posting laughs and gifs so whatever

jus´like it´s moronic to match him without context vs the current MWs you were talkin about. You should listen to yourself sometimes...

Well if it's moronic to you, to think about how would Tamura fare against current MWs in current fighting configuration, you could have said so in the first place instead of going on bashing Okami as a fighter and implying Tamura would kick his ass anywhere, anytime without backing it up wiht much argument

Hmmm...you were laughing at my Okami would be game vs Tamura in standing fight.
I would like you to back up those laughs with some arguments or credentials about Tamura's standup game that I may not know but instead you keep posting laughs and gifs so whatever
that too...

tbh, I doubt that u indeed watched those fights... the way u talk about their striking, the way you were talkin about Okami´s win over Sakurai... Im afraid...

I honestly respect your stance in the matter, but when you argue with false statements, I will reply to it.
In modern day, there is no WW/MW fighting at openweight. There isnt even such weight division so why you keep refering to it
You keep saying Okami was shamelessly matched against undersized dudes...when? back when he was 22 years old? It's irrelevant, this guy has a 15 year long career where he has been constantly evolving.

By the time he was a long time considered top ten MW in the world, he wasnt matched against undersized dues, he was actually cutting less weight than most of his opponents. I mean he was a WW (where he is actually fighting now) fighting at MW, so thats how wrong you are.
I dont know why you refuse to talk about Okami 2006-2018 instead of keep coming back to him as a very green fighter in his very early years
for the very simple reason that this was the time when they could have been matched in Pride, obviously...

Well if it's moronic to you, to think about how would Tamura fare against current MWs in current fighting configuration, you could have said so in the first place instead of going on bashing Okami as a fighter and implying Tamura would kick his ass anywhere, anytime without backing it up wiht much argument
standing, it´s pretty obvious.sigh....

that too...

tbh, I doubt that u indeed watched those fights... the way u talk about their striking, the way you were talkin about Okami´s win over Sakurai... Im afraid...

The Sakurai fight was classic Okami in his early years. Clinch, trip and GnP. If any, it shows how effective he was with such basc skill-set even when he was still very green.

What I dont understand is why every time you wanted to describe a fighter with a 15 years long creer, you keep going back to his fights in his 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year as a pro, instead os looking at some of the many fights he had when was unanimously considered a top ten fighter (and no, it wasn back in the time he fought Sakurai or White)

The Sakurai fight was classic Okami in his early years. Clinch, trip and GnP. If any, it shows how effective he was with such basc skill-set even when he was still very green.

What I dont understand is why every time you wanted to describe a fighter with a 15 years long creer, you keep going back to his fights in his 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year as a pro, instead os looking at some of the many fights he had when was unanimously considered a top ten fighter (and no, it wasn back in the time he fought Sakurai or White)
for the very simple reason that this was the time when they could have been matched in Pride, obviously.. x 2

standing, it´s pretty obvious.sigh....

Oh I thought you was mocking of Okami's grappling before implying Tamura was way better than him as a grappler.
So know Tamura is a way better boxer too. By your account Tamura was so much better striker and grappler than Okami that is laughable to even suggest otherwise....I mean, are you sure you arent just a harcore Okami hater?

Oh I thought you was mocking of Okami's grappling before implying Tamura was way better than him as a grappler.
So know Tamura is a way better boxer too. By your account Tamura was so much better striker and grappler than Okami that is laughable to even suggest otherwise....I mean, are you sure you arent just a harcore Okami hater?
Im actually not even a Tamura fan, but your assessment of Okami´s skillset amuses me... outstriking Tamura... giving Nog a match in Rings...

for the very simple reason that this was the time when they could have been matched in Pride, obviously.. x 2

??
It doenst make sense. If the discussion is if Okami would beat Tamura back in 2003, yeah, I have serious doubts as well.
I thought the discussion would be about how Okami as an evolved modern fighter (2008-2018), way better than the 2003 version of himself, would do against Tamura. If you just cant figure this out, then it's ok, but I thought this was the debate

??
It doenst make sense. If the discussion is if Okami would beat Tamura back in 2003, yeah, I have serious doubts as well.
I thought the discussion would be about how Okami as an evolved modern fighter (2008-2018), way better than the 2003 version of himself, would do against Tamura. If you just cant figure this out, then it's ok, but I thought this was the debate
hey dude... you either match them in Pride where they could have been historically matched, or you make a projection about Tamura too in the 2010s... otherwise,makes no sense.

Im actually not even a Tamura fan, but your assessment of Okami´s skillset amuses me... outstriking Tamura... giving Nog a match in Rings...

The debate was would orime Tamura beat prime Okami? Simple, typical fiction discussion of Sherdog.

You are completely sure that Tamura would win, I asked how do you think so, and your answer is pointing to Okami's fights back when he was in his very early years instead of his prime. And I dont understand why you take that stance

The debate was would orime Tamura beat prime Okami? Simple, typical fiction discussion of Sherdog.

You are completely sure that Tamura would win, I asked how do you think so, and your answer is pointing to Okami's fights back when he was in his very early years instead of his prime. And I dont understand why you take that stance
ok Already answered this.

hey dude... you either match them in Pride where they could have been historically matched, or you make a projection about Tamura too in the 2010s... otherwise,makes no sense.

Oh, then it's ok.
I think to make a projection about Tamura if he were born 20 years later is a silly thing to do.
I just wanted to compare Tamura's skill set in his prime with Okami's skill set in his prime. Just like you can do with any other fantasy mathup from the past or today.
If you find it a non-sense, no problem, it's ok

Oh, then it's ok.
I think to make a projection about Tamura if he were born 20 years later is a silly thing to do.
I just wanted to compare Tamura's skill set in his prime with Okami's skill set in his prime. Just like you can do with any other fantasy mathup from the past or today. You know, how would Matt Hugues fare against Colby Cvington? Or how would Kevin Randleman do against OSP? That kind of fiction shit. Nothing more like that
If you find it a non-sense, no problem, it's ok
they both signed with Pride in 2002.

You said Rings was not real fighting, consequently Tamura was a rookie too in Pride...lmao.

they both signed with Pride in 2002.

You said Rings was not real fighting, consequently Tamura was a rookie too in Pride...lmao.

If thats the stance you want to take on the matter, it's ok.
Okami back in 2002 was very unevolved and could certainly lost to Tamura who, by 2002, regardless if he was a rookie or not in Pride, he was already an evolved fighter, unlike Okami by that time

My point of view is that Okami from 2008-2018 outclasses Okami from 2002, dominates Tamura from 2002, outclasses any of Tamura's wins in Pride, completely schools Taiei Kin in the grappling department, and I also think would do much better against Yoshida than Tamura did. Certainly dont see Okami getting ezequiel chocked

If thats the stance you want to take on the matter, it's ok.
Okami back in 2002 was very unevolved and could certainly lost to Tamura who, by 2002, regardless if he was a rookie or not in Pride, he was already an evolved fighter, unlike Okami by that time

My point of view is that Okami from 2008-2018 outclasses Okami from 2002, dominates Tamura from 2002, outclasses any of Tamura's wins in Pride, completely schools Taiei Kin in the grappling department, and I also think would do much better against Yoshida than Tamura did. Certainly dont see Okami getting ezequiel chocked
Okami schools nobody, dude, he´s bureaucratic

lol @ you insisting in "outclasses any of Tamura's wins in Pride"

lol @ you not understanding that Tamura was 34 yrs when he fought Yoshida...

Okami just got schooled by... OSP...on the ground....

Tbh this discussion is a waste of time.

Okami schools nobody, dude, he´s bureaucratic

haha you are a hardcore Okami hater, really.

lol @ you insisting in "outclasses any of Tamura's wins in Pride"

Name one guy Tamura beat in Pride that would have much of a chance against Okami in his prime

lol @ you not understanding that Tamura was 34 yrs when he fought Yoshida...

At 34 Okami was still a top ten ranked fighter and would have a good chance of beating Yoshida in his second year as a pro.

Okami just got schooled by... OSP...on the ground....

Okami took that fight on 6 days notice and entered in the cage with 20lbs disadvantage. How ridiculous is to take that fight as prove for nothing.

Tbh this discussion is a waste of time.

Well Im sorry then. Thank you for your time

Back