2001: A Space Odyssey returning to theaters with new 70mm print for 50th Anniversary

G

Guestx

Can I get a Hell Yeah?

New, "unrestored" 70mm prints of "2001: A Space Odyssey" will be released in select U.S. theaters in May, to mark the 50th anniversary of Stanley Kubrick's science fiction masterpiece.

Warner Brothers said Wednesday that a new print will premiere at the Cannes Film Festival on May 12, introduced by filmmaker Christopher Nolan, with members of Kubrick's family in attendance. The re-release will then open in select U.S. cities beginning May 18.

Though hotly debated upon its release, the film -- co-authored with science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke -- has since been acknowledged as one of the most creative and influential movies of all time, and one of the most visually innovative. Spanning a million years of man's evolution, it is centered on a journey to understand the purpose of an undecipherable object of alien origin.

It was nominated for four Academy Awards, including Best Director and Best Screenplay, and won the Oscar for Best Visual Effects.

In 2012 it was ranked No. 6 on the Sight + Sound critics' poll of greatest films of all time. Critic Roger Ebert, who included the film in his all-time 10 best list, wrote, "Alone among science-fiction movies, '2001' is not concerned with thrilling us, but with inspiring our awe."

The studio says that the new 70mm prints are being struck from elements copied from the original camera negative, without any digital remastering, effects or edits -- as closely as possible matching the film as it was originally presented in April 1968, projected in 70mm on Cinerama screens.

"One of my earliest memories of cinema is seeing Stanley Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey,' in 70mm, at the Leicester Square Theatre in London with my father," said Nolan, the director of "The Dark Knight," "Inception" and "Dunkirk." "The opportunity to be involved in recreating that experience for a new generation, and of introducing our new unrestored 70mm print of Kubrick's masterpiece in all its analog glory at the Cannes Film Festival is an honor and a privilege."

This fall, the film will be released in 4K resolution Blu-ray with HDR.

Official Re-Release Trailer:

Hell yes.

70mm is Godly, and with that cinematography...

all i need to go see it is a couple of tabs of acid,and i'll be set.

I can never get over how modern it looks from clips. 90% looks like it could be from a movie released this year....

I never actually watched the film, I kinda wanna ask my grandfather to watch it with me.

May go see this...

Really.. Really got into the books when I was younger.

First time I saw it the was on HBO at my grandparents in the late 70’s

Not the best movie watching experience to appreciate the cinematography

Through a strange turn of events known as life, somehow... I have never seen this film.

And then, for a bunch of years it became about waiting for the perfect time. Not wanting to just throw it on the tv on a lazy afternoon, I know it’s a special film. It’s a Kubrick, for that alone, but also besides that.

Looks like the stars have aligned, & I’ll finally have a date with this one.

It’s time!

{<buffer}

Through a strange turn of events known as life, somehow... I have never seen this film.

And then, for a bunch of years it became about waiting for the perfect time. Not wanting to just throw it on the tv on a lazy afternoon, I know it’s a special film. It’s a Kubrick, for that alone, but also besides that.

Looks like the stars have aligned, & I’ll finally have a date with this one.

It’s time!

{<buffer}
your making it sound like a lost piece by da vinci!

That film looked fantastic.

Story-wise.......

The scene where the monkeys stood up as men was pretty fly.
giphy.gif

Oh hells ya!! No joke, I have this song on my phone, was listening to it yesterday as I was driving down the highway

I've seen it but I will absolutely see it on the big screen when it comes out. Assuming it will be at Village Cinema East where they had the 70mm Tarantino film in the huge, old theatre.

I heard a few well-advised changes are being made for the re-release. HAL is a white supremacist and Trump voter. The cavemen at the beginning are albinos. The monolith is rainbow colored with male and female genitalia.

Can't wait for the new kids reactions..

Meh, not enough CGI or action scenes..

To much talking, and the end was stupid, what did it even mean.

Back